How much weight can you shave off of an A-Body...and still have it look/drive like an A-Body?

-
Also, these cars have a lot of front weight bias. I’d hold of on fiberglass trunk.

I'm down to 3209 lbs full interior. But lots of front weight.

My battery is in front. I even have that heavy A-body console in car. Cast iron calipers. My rear drums might weigh less than aluminum calipers and rotors.

1729033014110.png

Fair... but the engine feels different. Don't get me wrong, I understand why the LS is a popular swap. I just said it wasn't my favorite. I'm not even sure I want to do a new hemi swap in mine. I just like the LA.
I was building the aluminum 5.3 LS it for my 98 OBS Chevy truck but ended up putting the 5.7 vortec back in…so I have most of the parts already other than an oil pan… the funny thing is that I bored the LS out to 344 inches…the same displacement as the last three 30 over 340 LA engines that were in the car… goal is 400hp plus to the wheels and a wet weight of anywhere under 2900lbs…17x8 wheels square tire setup… and put a heater back in it

I was building the aluminum 5.3 LS it for my 98 OBS Chevy truck but ended up putting the 5.7 vortec back in…so I have most of the parts already other than an oil pan… the funny thing is that I bored the LS out to 344 inches…the same displacement as the last three 30 over 340 LA engines that were in the car… goal is 400hp plus to the wheels and a wet weight of anywhere under 2900lbs…17x8 wheels square tire setup… and put a heater back in it

Yeah, That sounds very similar to my goals. I'd like to be under 3000# with good handling suspension and A/C.
The LS has great heads so it's pretty easy to make good power. I'm probably going to swap in a 5.9 magnum. They are a good package and easy to swap and cheap-ish.

Does that explorer rear end have an aluminum center section ?
Unfortunately no. It is a bit of a Pig. I have to weigh it but it certainly isn't the lightweight choice. Someday I'd like to put in a full floating quick-change rear. but that isn't in the budget currently.
Also, these cars have a lot of front weight bias. I’d hold of on fiberglass trunk.

I'm down to 3209 lbs full interior. But lots of front weight.

My battery is in front. I even have that heavy A-body console in car. Cast iron calipers. My rear drums might weigh less than aluminum calipers and rotors.

View attachment 1716316194
Yeah, good point about the weight balance. There are a lot of other things I can do in the front though, lightweight battery, Aluminum heads and brackets, obviously the hood and bumper. Have to balance lighter overall with F/R balance. I will be keeping a trim but livable interior. probably deleting the rear seats though. I do like the center consoles but could probably make a featherweight one with a similar feel. I really need to get a set of scales so I can work on the balance as well as the overall weight.

Yeah, That sounds very similar to my goals. I'd like to be under 3000# with good handling suspension and A/C.
The LS has great heads so it's pretty easy to make good power. I'm probably going to swap in a 5.9 magnum. They are a good package and easy to swap and cheap-ish.
The 360 magnum is the best Mopar choice in my opinion for any A body…even better than the new hemi if you are on a budget…I did a 360 magnum build on this site a few years back and it made great power…with some decent heads you can get 450hp no problem

Unfortunately no. It is a bit of a Pig. I have to weigh it but it certainly isn't the lightweight choice. Someday I'd like to put in a full floating quick-change rear. but that isn't in the budget currently.

Yeah, good point about the weight balance. There are a lot of other things I can do in the front though, lightweight battery, Aluminum heads and brackets, obviously the hood and bumper. Have to balance lighter overall with F/R balance. I will be keeping a trim but livable interior. probably deleting the rear seats though. I do like the center consoles but could probably make a featherweight one with a similar feel. I really need to get a set of scales so I can work on the balance as well as the overall weight.

Concentrate on front weight. Put seat to back of list. Helps keep road noise down too.

-
Back