How much would you pay for this 340?

-

Shane65

Reaction score
Found a complete ‘69 340 near me, but looks pretty rough. You guys think it can be returned to its former glory? As far as I know it's not seized, seller says it ran when it was pulled 6 years ago… still working with him on price, wanted to hear what you guys thought… What would you pay for a 340 in this condition?

IMG_0442.jpg

IMG_0443.jpg

Hard to say, I know I like $500 as a price. I’d go there with tools, make sure it turns over a dozen times, pull the valve cover and take a good look with a flashlight. Maybe even pull the oil pan. Lots can happen after 6 years.

As crusty as that intake is, I’m guessing it may have been more years than six since that ran. Valve covers look like they are a newer addition since they don’t match the corrosion in the intake.

Get some numbers off the block and heads. Because it's blue, it could be a 72 or 3 with low compression, cast crank, small cam, and small valve heads. . Heck, it could be a 318 and without looking close, you wouldn't know. It's a core.

That looks like the forged balancer in the pic
still get the numbers

I would pay no more than you are willing to flush down the drain. It could be cracked or damaged beyond repair. $500 is the most I’d pay for an unknown core.

How about a picture of the left side of the block?
Balancer looks like a 273/318 skinny.

not the 2.8 he's asking.

and it's been up for months...

condition is king and there's just so many unknowns on this.

pan says it was in something non-a body which begs: is the windage tray still present? is that a broke off exhaust stud in the upper #2 port? where's the 90* adapter? no pulleys (not the end of the world, but still). if the rest of the motor looks like that you can gar-un-tee the timing cover is waxed ***.

says it's 69 but has wrong cover and pump, again, not the end of the world.

unless the vin matches your car? or unless you have to have a 340? hard pass at anything more than a smooth G

I'm familiar with his listing and it gives me a chuckle each time. Imo he is asking way too much. In Socal, if a 318 core is going for $300-400 and a 360 core is going for $500-600. Then a 340 core should probably be in the $600-900 range depending if it has x-heads (overrated but people pay more for them) or other performance goodies on it. But that is just MY opinion...
If his motor was 100% ready to drop into a car and run it then it would much more reasonable

I'm familiar with his listing and it gives me a chuckle each time. Imo he is asking way too much. In Socal, if a 318 core is going for $300-400 and a 360 core is going for $500-600. Then a 340 core should probably be in the $600-900 range depending if it has x-heads (overrated but people pay more for them) or other performance goodies on it. But that is just MY opinion...
If his motor was 100% ready to drop into a car and run it then it would much more reasonable
Yeah agreed…sounds like he’s negotiable but probably not that much… im gonna keep waiting… clean 340’s are getting harder to find in Southern CA… or anywhere for that matter!

I hear this a lot.."x heads are overrated"?
I have used many.They are fine heads and make good power.

Yeah agreed…sounds like he’s negotiable but probably not that much… im gonna keep waiting… clean 340’s are getting harder to find in Southern CA… or anywhere for that matter!
agreed, decent stuff is getting harder to find. there's tons of clapped out junk at crack pipe prices though. spring/fall fling is usually the spot for a wheelin' dealin' on a 340.

@GTX JOHN has some 340 cores and delivers to the socal area pretty frequently.

i'll keep an eye out for ya

I hear this a lot.."x heads are overrated"?
I have used many.They are fine heads and make good power.
What I mean to say is that some people think that x heads will automatically be capable of 600hp right out the box when in reality many are pretty darn close to j heads. If you pay 2x-3x for X heads and need to get them rebuilt anyway, you would be in the same spot getting some J heads and getting them worked over a little by a pro and land at the same point.

-
Back