How much would you pay for this 340?

-
Yeah agreed…sounds like he’s negotiable but probably not that much… im gonna keep waiting… clean 340’s are getting harder to find in Southern CA… or anywhere for that matter!

Were there any for sale at Spring Fling this year?

If so, what were they asking at the show?

Last edited:
IF the crank rotated, I would pay $500 MAX. And that would still be a gamble.

*ahem* please refer to the style guide. it should read: "that's a hard no from me"

i don't know why i even bother sending out the emails
Well, I was hinting also the seller maybe was puff puff pass......but I guess I have to lead you by the hand. lol

Its only worth what it is worth to the buyer. I have seen running engines in cars that look worse than that engine...LOL. Do a little more homework if the owner will let you. Pull the heads and pan with an impact and you will have your answer in a few minutes. A cool rule of thumb number would be 1k for me. 500 would be a bargain.

The price paid for this or pretty much anything else is the amount someone is willing to give for it.
Bottom line reality.

What is a core 340 worth ? early vs late? then you have to determine if it is actually a 340 meaning forged crank, block, pistons etc. you know you have 915 Js but are they 2.02s? its a given you'll rebuild it. Id obtain a borescope and look at the pistons and valves etc. make sure the crank is forged etc.

Another give away is there isn't a 90* oil filter adapter on it. To me, it looks like something that was cobbled together and they are try to make a fortune off of their junk parts. Just my two cents worth!

Last edited:
You have no idea if it's standard bore or a worn out .060. That makes a huge difference in value. J heads are every bit as good as X heads with one possible HUGE advantage. X heads are known to crack between the intake seat and spark plug hole. I haven't heard of that with the later heads. With that said I've got two pairs of X heads, but they've been magged and are good to go.

Another give away is there isn't a 90* oil filter adapter on it. To me, it looks like something that was cobbled together and they are try to make a fortune off of their junk parts. Just my two cents worth!
Eh, ya never know I sold a 318 that had the 90 degree adapter on it . I yanked that the water pump the intake and the motor mount ears before I let it go...

I have not seen a $500 340 block for a loooong time. Regardless of what everybody thinks the external look is worth, a 340 core is still expensive. Just go look in the mechanical parts for sale. Do I have dollar value? Not without seeing inside, but I bet it ain't $500 for the block and J heads.

the problem is I could rebuild one and show receipts and someone would say it isnt professionally built even though I am a retired ase tech. Low ballers galore in the mopar world I figure a running 340 is worth 3 grand but that's just me I have one on the stand now in mock up I can crank it by hand without gaskets and still hear the compression hiss out of the plug holes, thats how flat the milled surfaces are its going to run good.

Found a complete ‘69 340 near me, but looks pretty rough. You guys think it can be returned to its former glory? As far as I know it's not seized, seller says it ran when it was pulled 6 years ago… still working with him on price, wanted to hear what you guys thought… What would you pay for a 340 in this condition?

View attachment 1716259440

View attachment 1716259441
Pull both valve covers and the oil pan for a look. You may want to remove a main cap and rod cap to check for signs of bearing damage and crap in the bearings. Look for metal flake in the pan.
In the valve covers look for undue rust, broken spring or a dropped valve.
Many engines have been sold as "running when pulled out." Yup, knocking like heck or misfire like crazy.

I have not seen a $500 340 block for a loooong time. Regardless of what everybody thinks the external look is worth, a 340 core is still expensive. Just go look in the mechanical parts for sale. Do I have dollar value? Not without seeing inside, but I bet it ain't $500 for the block and J heads.
You would if it was .060 over and worn out. I wouldn't touch it without pulling the heads and pan. The pan doesn't bother me. My '70 340 had a truck pan on it when I bought it in the early '90s. It also had a BIG solid cam and W-2's. I did buy it from someone I trusted as well so I didn't feel the need to pull the heads.

Oh, that engine with less than 10,000 miles was $750, which was a bargain even back then.

i sold a date coded 69 340 short block at spring fling in 23 for $500

forged crank, it was 30 over and needed a sleeve in one cylinder. still had the windage tray. it was gone before lunch. i had sold the x heads at the previous fall fling, they needed a full go thru and one of the rockers stands had pulled the threads. i told the guy $200 and he nearly broke his arm reaching for his wallet. the truck wasn't even unloaded.

but to your point, without seeing inside you can only guess. the market will bear what the market will bare, and some people have to have a 340; and for that, they'll pay.

Even back in back wood Missouri, GOOD 340's would bring $1000 up 20 odd years ago, easy, if std. or a good .030. The wore out ones at .060 were not wanted period.

Like said, a guy needs to be able to measure the taper in the bores and look at what he is buying. Its still a crap shoot sometimes.

Get some numbers off the block and heads. Because it's blue, it could be a 72 or 3 with low compression, cast crank, small cam, and small valve heads. . Heck, it could be a 318 and without looking close, you wouldn't know. It's a core.
Yes, the 340s began life painted red. They began switching over to blue late 1970. My April 1971 340 came blue.

'69 340 with non-X heads aluminum water pump? Ran 6 years ago? Without pulling heads and knowing how far its been bored out no way to know what its worth. If its 60 over its scrap metal boat anchor. Crap Fram filter no 90 degree adapter makes one wonder too....

-
Back