How not to damage new paint on bolts

-

MoparMike1974

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Any tips on re-assembly of bolts that have been painted? How do you keep the paint from chipping?

For fenders, doors etc. ?

The car bodies were painted assembled, so originally many bolts were sprayed with the car.

I use masking tape inside the sockets or wrenches. Works for me...:)

I take a piece of cardboard and punch a bunch of holes in it and shove the bolts in and paint them with VHT, then after they dry I put them in the oven at 200F for 1 hr cardboard and all, open the door and let them cool and the paint is hard as a rock.

Better yet. Eastwood sells some plastic, 6 sided inserts that go inside your socket. The 1/2 inch insert 'pops' into a 9/16 socket. They are cheap, and they work really well.

Better yet. Eastwood sells some plastic, 6 sided inserts that go inside your socket. The 1/2 inch insert 'pops' into a 9/16 socket. They are cheap, and they work really well.

How is that better?? cost more $$ you can get an old electric oven for free put it in your garage or a shed like me guest in case of an explosion, witch I have never had. VHT works great but you have to bake it to make it work. I think everyone should have a oven in there garage,
just my opinion.

I take a piece of cardboard and punch a bunch of holes in it and shove the bolts in and paint them with VHT, then after they dry I put them in the oven at 200F for 1 hr cardboard and all, open the door and let them cool and the paint is hard as a rock.

Oh.....and where do you buy VHT in TB3 Petty Blue?

Just went down this path. I decided to not let it bother me. I will touch it up after engine is in car. The appliance paint is decent,but it wont stand up to a lot of wrenching on it.
Plus, moving,adjusting swapping parts until i get it right.

I jamb the parts, then assemble and paint it all together. No damage and it lets the final bodywork be much better too. If it's been sprayed and this is taken apart for other reasons, I'd repair the chips with the paint it was sprayed with and move on or use either tape or those socket insert thingies...

I agree with Brian6pac, But I do it at 150 degrees and enamel or most paints work just fine, it does not have to be VHT. And I still put tape inside sockets and wrenches.

Jeff

How is that better?? cost more $$ you can get an old electric oven for free put it in your garage or a shed like me guest in case of an explosion, witch I have never had. VHT works great but you have to bake it to make it work. I think everyone should have a oven in there garage,
just my opinion.
Different strokes... The inserts only cost a few dollars, and I have never had a 'touch up' problem. Also, I don't think VHT comes in B5 Blue or F8 green.

I’ve found the best solution by far is to not give a crap if there’s chipped paint on bolt heads. If I have to turn them often enough to chip the hell out of the paint then there’s probably enough grease on them to keep them from rusting.

Can’t see it from the drivers seat. Stuff like that happens when you drive them.

Another tip, mount everything with nylon washers, once you get everything aligned remove one bolt at a time remove washer and torque bolt down. Saves leaving adjustment donuts.

Alan

Different strokes... The inserts only cost a few dollars, and I have never had a 'touch up' problem. Also, I don't think VHT comes in B5 Blue or F8 green.

Yea, I guess I didn't read the whole thing just the heading, I was thinking more of engine fasteners.

Keeping build up to a minimum helps. I like using a quality flange drive socket.

Generally bolts are already tightened/ torqued on the car or engine, and then painted.
What ever you do, you are going to have a tough time tightening painted bolts, without messing them up a bit. One tip is to use a Q-tip to touch up painted bolts after installing.

just my opinion.

To bake cupcakes in ****? Okay settle down already, don't want your cakes going flat now... lol jk

just my opinion.
Baking chemical paints inside your garage a good idea? I live in the city and something that intrusive inside my garage or in my shed for the three or four times I might use it a year at best? I think that's for somebody that has a big shop in a lot of room, BUT ABSOLUTELY PUT IT OUT IN THE SHED OR OUTSIDE WHERE NO ONE'S GOING TO BE HUFFING THE FUMES OFF THE COOKING PAINT!

I bake every part I can, valve covers, front cover, intake, oil pan, all bolts and nuts, brackets if there are some pits when done you can sand them 2 hrs after painting and repaint. The finish is way better and it's hard, wont chip when tightening bolts up, hard to scratch and it just looks better.

and my oven is in my shed behind my garage

Baking chemical paints inside your garage a good idea? I live in the city and something that intrusive inside my garage or in my shed for the three or four times I might use it a year at best? I think that's for somebody that has a big shop in a lot of room, BUT ABSOLUTELY PUT IT OUT IN THE SHED OR OUTSIDE WHERE NO ONE'S GOING TO BE HUFFING THE FUMES OFF THE COOKING PAINT!

Wow.

I should hope that if you have a garage-you know, the place where you run your car-that you would have some form of ventilation. Like maybe an overhead door you can open...

-
Back