how safe are wheel adapters???

-

swinger340

Reaction score
Want to go from 4" to 4.5" rims. Are the adapters safe or is the best route new axles and front disc?

depends on who you ask, and what kind you are using. i have ran 1" thick billet aluminum adapters for years without a single issue. the cast aluminum trans dapt adapters have cracked on me.

I wouldn't run them. Get big bolt pattern rear axles and big pattern front discs. Best in the long run.

depends on who you ask, and what kind you are using. i have ran 1" thick billet aluminum adapters for years without a single issue. the cast aluminum trans dapt adapters have cracked on me.

Agreed. Billet aluminum ones my cost more than cast but their cheaper than new axles and a brake swap. The rock crawler guys run billet wheel spacers/adapters all the time with no trouble and they have 40" tires and 4.88 gears with high power motors and bind them up in the rocks without trouble. Sound strong enough to handle street driving? Hahaha:happy1:

Wheel adapters=looking down the barrel of a loaded gun.

why? you can have your rotors or drums redrilled to the pattern you want for the same price or cheaper.

why? you can have your rotors or drums redrilled to the pattern you want for the same price or cheaper.

You probably could have the front drums/disks redrilled fairly cheap and easy by a machine shop. But the rear you would have to pull the axles and have them done also. It would be kind of a pain to redrill everything. Plus on the front youd have to have them drilled again when you need to replace them. I think wheel adapter technology and materials have come a long way from back in the day. Some people are still trigger shy of them from bad experiences in the past with inferior products.
That said the best option would be to swap axles and put BBP disks on the front BUT if you dont have the money for that, the adapters would be my next choice since i would have zero down time because i wouldnt be waiting on the machine shop. Just my opinion though

Redrilling the axles is even less safe. The guy that we bought my dart from had done it and one stud broke loose. It only leaves a little less than a 1/4 inch. I dont care if others have done it. In my opinion it is the dumbest thing you can do on a car.

Well I hope all these replies cleared that up for you? I've ran them in the past with no problems. It depends on your intended use. Just a driver type car yes. You wana bolt 14x32 slicks on your car behind 700 hp hell no.

These aluminum wheel adapters are super strong. I had them on my
GMC Sonoma for years, that was the only way to get the Corvette rims
to fit on the truck. I plan on getting a narrower set for the Demon
next year so I can go to a 15x7 rallye on the rear.

Attachments

• sawblades 004.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 347
  • sawblades 005.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 327
  • sonoma.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 310
These aluminum wheel adapters are super strong. I had them on my
GMC Sonoma for years, that was the only way to get the Corvette rims
to fit on the truck. I plan on getting a narrower set for the Demon
next year so I can go to a 15x7 rallye on the rear.
Get 15x7s with a different backspace on the rear

Agreed. Billet aluminum ones my cost more than cast but their cheaper than new axles and a brake swap. The rock crawler guys run billet wheel spacers/adapters all the time with no trouble and they have 40" tires and 4.88 gears with high power motors and bind them up in the rocks without trouble. Sound strong enough to handle street driving? Hahaha:happy1:

exactly .......... these guys are crawling rocks with 2 - 2 1/2 " thick adapters....you want to talk about stress on the studs.....

i have done some serious burnouts on mine trying to bust them....the cast aluminum adapters are junk...:burnout:

Thing about it, billet aluminum adapters have more meat than the aluminum wheels that you are running on you car. If you thing they won't work then you shouldn't be running any aluminum wheels either.

Want to go from 4" to 4.5" rims. Are the adapters safe or is the best route new axles and front disc?

I had experience in past- work better on the rear- but on the front kept lug nuts kept working loose- pressure on during turns and all I think- not a first choice for front in my opinion-

The billet kind are more than strong/safe enough. Plenty of guys use them for autocross as well. My g/f ran a set on her truck for years with no issues, and as others have posted the rock crawler types use them too.

I'd be inclined to go the disk/axles route myself, but not because the spacer/adapters aren't safe. Its just the better way to go.

Besides, you should be able to get 15x7 rallye's in a 5x4" pattern anyway, if that's the only reason for the bolt pattern swap.

I look at from this point of view, there are lots of guys and gals that use these on there jeeps and beat the heck out of them and never have a problem, bolt them on and go.

Adapters just seem like a half assed way of changing to large bolt pattern...

Do it right and be do be with it...

Using new axles and big car drums make life a lot easier in the long run..and the front the stock big bolt disc brakes are so easy and cheap to get parts for its crazy not to go that route.

Using new axles and big car drums make life a lot easier in the long run..and the front the stock big bolt disc brakes are so easy and cheap to get parts for its crazy not to go that route.

x2

x2

-
Back