How to break open the trunk-lock?

-

Payy

Reaction score
Hey as topic says, how should i break open the lock in the trunk?
I think its broken or something, filled up the trunk with tires and had to sit on it to get it to close and now it won't open. The lock sylinder doesen't give any resistance when i turn the key.

Dumbest thread ever haha :p

Thanks!

Well if it wasn't full of tires, I'd remove the back seat and use a loooong extension to remove the nuts that hold the latch on - 1/2" if i remember.

Grant

Well if it wasn't full of tires, I'd remove the back seat and use a loooong extension to remove the nuts that hold the latch on - 1/2" if i remember.

Grant

Offhand I'd say..................

Lumber-Car-A.jpg

Big f..king hammer or torch?? Just wondering why you forced the lid shut?? Why not just put the tires somewhere else??

there's probably so much pressure pushing up,, the latch can't get enuff slack to release,, it sounds like the latch is triggered to release, (because the key is loose), maybe just push down on it really hard, or have a heavy friend gently sit on the trunk, turn the key,, and let him get off.. just a thought..

There is nothing the wrong with the lock, don’t bust it up. Do what Inertia proposed, force the lid down hopefully without denting any sheet metal, to take the upward force off the latch while turning the key. It should open tight up.

It sounds like when he turns the key it just goes around with no resistance which makes me think that something is wrong with the tumbler of the lock ??

the key likely goes it's normal 1/4ish turn, and back, with no resistance,, meaning it's triggered the release,, but the latch can't move, because of the pressure on it.
ie.. Try pushing REALLY hard on your front door, and try to turn the knob, the knob likely will be very difficult to turn,, till you stop pushing on the door,, the trunk latch needs the pressure taken off it.... now don't go falling on your face.. lol

the key likely goes it's normal 1/4ish turn, and back, with no resistance,, meaning it's triggered the release,, but the latch can't move, because of the pressure on it.
ie.. Try pushing REALLY hard on your front door, and try to turn the knob.. now don't go falling on your face.. lol

WTH? Front door?

Hit the locksmith and ask him what he thinks. They are miracle workers. I lost my trunk key and went to Blaine Locksmiths. I told him what happened and asked if he had any magic he could work. He put a key blank in a vise grip, grabbed a stool and sat behind my car. He put the key in, looked at it and hand filed a few spots. Put it in, filed, put it in, filed, etc... After the fourth filing he put it in and turned it and the trunk popped open. How many do you want, he asks with a smile. Cost me $25 and it was money well spent. I bet they would have some ideas on what you could do. Can't hurt to ask the experts.

Thanks alot guys! I removed the backseats and managed to drag the tires out there. Then i crawled inside through the seat-back and opened it. Took a picture from inside but there was a problem uploading it :p
A spring had fallen out, I guess I can use the same lock-sylinder again if i manage to relocate it :)

Glad you got 'em out, hope you learned somethin' today!!

caution-hard-lesson-ahead-300x276.jpg

-
Back