how to clean a gas tank

-

curtis6592

Reaction score
hello i was going to replace the gas tank in my 71 dart swinger but i was just curious is there anyway to clean the soot and probably a little rust too,inside of the gas tank.I had one person suggest kerosene he said put a couple gallons in and swoosh it around and let it sit a couple hours.I have the gas tank out of the car.If anybody has any ideas that would be great.The outside of my gas tank is like brand new it just the car didnt get driven alot over the past 7 yrs. thanks guys

Take from my experiance take to a radiator shop have it cleaned and the inside coated or buy a new one. Jim

if i was to have the inside coated what do they use to coat them and is it cheaper than buying a new one? Does that coating help when the vehicle doesnt get driven much,does it help against that soot builing up?thanks for the help.

do your self a favor and jus buy a new one. by the time you get it cleaned and coated you will be close enough to a new one that it would be foolish no to go new.

I have removed the sending unit drained ALL the gas out. Soaked the final gas out with a rag through the sending unit hole.
Then I put a gallon of vinegar in the tank. Then seal the openings and slosh the vinegar around in the tank every few hours.
After that I took the tank to the car wash and washed it out very good from everywhere I could.
Next take a flashlight with tank in a dark area and inspect what you have. At that point the soot should be gone and you can check for rust. I used to get the tank coating from NAPA but it has been a few years so you may have to check around. Easy to do yourself just follow the directions.

Muriatic Acid works great to pull out rust and old crap but will rust twice as fast after this is done. Just buy a new tank.

There are some real affordable tanks out there. I got everything for mine for like $175.00. New tank,sending unit,sender o- ring seal, bolts,strap,and actually with shipping I think it was just over $200.00. I got my stuff on ebay from "newenglandmustangs". A great bunch of parts for WAY CHEAPER THAN ANYWHERE ELSE!!!! And the guy is totally cool. And they did a terrific packing job and fast shipping.

-
Back