HOW TO FILL A FRESH TRANSMISSION?

-

CFD244

"THE NEW OLDSMOBILES ARE IN EARLY THIS YEAR"
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks

So my (fresh and dry) 727 is bolted to the engine, and the pair are installed in the car. I filled the converter with ATF +4 before I installed that. What is the procedure for filling the transmission and firing it up from here?

My concerns:

-How much initial fluid
-How long to run it for
-Do I run it through the gears and if so when do I do that.

A detailed step-by step would be appreciated as I don't want to ruin anything due to lack of oil.

Thanks FABO

Put at least 3-4 quarts in before firing it up. Check with the transmission in "neutral" and add fluid accordingly until the stick shows full. Then run through the gears with the rear axle off the ground.

Hi Folks

So my (fresh and dry) 727 is bolted to the engine, and the pair are installed in the car. I filled the converter with ATF +4 before I installed that. What is the procedure for filling the transmission and firing it up from here?

My concerns:

-How much initial fluid
-How long to run it for

A detailed step-by step would be appreciated as I don't want to ruin anything due to lack of oil.

Thanks FABO

If you put fluid in the converter you aren’t going to hurt anything.
As said, put 3-4 in it and fire away.
Then add to full in neutral if you don’t have the updated manual valve in the valve body.

The updated valve lets fluid circulate in park, and allows fluid checking.
Updated valve or not neutral is still good for checking the level.

Deep pan (OEM Cummins pan) 10 inch converter.

With converter filled, and deep pan, I’d start with 5-6 if it were me. With an 8” converter and deep pan that’s where I start usually. Especially on a trans that is totally dry and fresh. But I’m sure 4 will be ok. I just know it’s going to take a good bit more than that after it’s running.

As soon as you fire it, like listed above, get it in neutral and let it run in neutral for about 15 seconds or so. Then go through gears, forward all three, reverse, then back into neutral and check fluid.

Not much to it, but don’t run it in park for too long unless you have the valve body that will allow the converter charge circuit to be used in park like trailbeast mentioned. I’m not even sure who’s valve body he’s referring to but that’s nice that someone makes it. As trailbeast mentioned, you can’t go wrong running in neutral on initial fire.

Put 5 inside the trans. This is in addition to what's in the converter. Start car in Neutral, not park
As soon as it starts pour more fluid in. Be ready before the engine starts. Have the funnel in the dipstick and the rest of the fluid on the fender or on a cart or bench right there.
Now run it through the gears.

It will take about 11 quarts total. So you do the math. How much is in the converter now?

Hi Folks

My concerns:

-How much initial fluid
-How long to run it for

Thanks FABO
Driveshaft installed? You didn't mention and I have to ask.

With literature provided with new PTC converter, does not mention adding fluid to converter before install. What do they know? They only offer lifetime warranty on there converters...

With literature provided with new PTC converter, does not mention adding fluid to converter before install. What do they know? They only offer lifetime warranty on there converters...
Do they specifically say not to do it?

-
Back