How to insure my car?

-

DartVadar

Reaction score
I recently finished putting together my 73 dart and now I'm looking at how I am going to get it insured and registered. It would be alot easier If I wasn't 20 years old...

I was originally wanting to try Hagardy but I need 10 years driving experience...which I don't have. Could I get the same or similar car insurance on it like I have with my daily driver? im just worried that they will value the car alot less than its worth...

Are there any other places I could try, and if there is anybody in Canada close to my age that would be really helpful.

Try Grundy. That's who I have. I don't know what restrictions they have on age. You may be stuck until you get older. Be careful with regular companies that try to sell you agreed coverage. A lot of them aren't.

My car literally sat for 3 years in my 20's until I could get a plan with Silver Wheels (Hagarty)

You can get a plan with any insurance company but you will want to get an appraisal if you want the car to be covered for what you think its worth and then you will pay higher premiums to cover the value...

For a while when I was young I just rolled the dice and insured it without an appraisal so I could keep the premiums low... Had something happened I figured I would have got near to nothing for the car... I got lucky nothing happened.

Good luck!

I have no idea if they are in Canada but I use State Farm. With them I have an agreed value in writing so should something happen a base line is there. On my policy there is also a $500 built in parts locator coverage should the car be wrecked but not totaled. I have had my policy for many years and my premium is under $70 for 6 months of full coverage. An antique car can't be your daily driver and you have to have coverage on a daily driver with them.

The trouble with all the above is that you can't drive them anywhere IE shopping - work etc I use Hagerty and still drive my car several places that's not allowed oh since the weather is really nice I've been driving it to work but I can park inside a locked fenced in area

I do have state farm up here, but I don't have an existing policy with them. I will phone my current company and see what they say, can't hurt to try anyways.

Try Grundy. That's who I have. I don't know what restrictions they have on age. You may be stuck until you get older. Be careful with regular companies that try to sell you agreed coverage. A lot of them aren't.

Have to be 25 or older...so that unfortunately wont work.

Grundy insurance covers collector cars and is very reasonable. WARNING: make sure you have AGREED VALUE coverage NOT STATED VALUE coverage. Stated value will only pay what the car is worth minus deprication. Example: Book value for 70's Dart is $250.00 peroid. Agreed value is the value that you and the carrier agree the car is worth. Usually this requires an appraisel. Example: My 1972 Scamp has an agreed value of $16,ooo which I will update to $20,000 soon. Premium: $265 per year Hope this helps, Tom:finga:

I have Grundy too. But as you said your age is killing you. Could you put it in someone else's name until you are old enough??? I know it is a bummer but sometimes you have to do what you got to do.. Other than that you will have to use a standard carrier which may not have enough coverage should something happen.. Bill :wack:

Yea I would love to go with a group like grundy or hagardy, but I just don't think I can. I will just wait until I'm older I guess, for the time being I will see about what other options I have.

Its just the value I could insure it for is what worries me, loooootsa brand spanking new and expensive parts are in that car! LOL

I have Grundy too. But as you said your age is killing you. Could you put it in someone else's name until you are old enough??? I know it is a bummer but sometimes you have to do what you got to do.. Other than that you will have to use a standard carrier which may not have enough coverage should something happen.. Bill :wack:

Putting a car in someone else's name is illegal. The insurance is intended to only cover the owner/regular driver - not a fictitious owner/driver.

Doing this and then getting into a severe accident will cause you and the false owner to be sued and lose. Don't do this please.

My coverage is limited by miles and not location driven too. I also have to store it in a garage on my property.

My coverage is limited by miles and not location driven too. I also have to store it in a garage on my property.

With Hagerty you can store someplace else that's secure but you have to give them the address and it cost $10 more

I use heacock insurance as well. Great customer service. Only kicker was had to wait until I was 25 last year to get the insurance. I now insure 5 cars for 470 a year with more to go on the policy shortly.

Yea heacock looks like they would be pretty good, well I guess I'll just have to wait a few more years unfortunately. I want the insurance in my name as well, so I guess I will have to pay a bit more for some other insurance company.

im 21 and have a 73 dart custom and my price is $80 for 6 months for just liability so i can drive it as a DD and thats through esurance

Putting a car in someone else's name is illegal. The insurance is intended to only cover the owner/regular driver - not a fictitious owner/driver.

Doing this and then getting into a severe accident will cause you and the false owner to be sued and lose. Don't do this please.
I was talking about insuring it in his parents name with him as the principle driver.. I would never try to steer someone wrong.. And do something illegal or not be properly covered..:violent1:...Bill

-
Back