How to Megasquirt your 3G Hemi

-
I'm still using the 30% pulled from stock table (on first page). Haven't been on the dyno to add timing yet.

Tell me about your motor specs again- you might could use the factory timing table (or more).

I'm still using the 30% pulled from stock table (on first page). Haven't been on the dyno to add timing yet.

Tell me about your motor specs again- you might could use the factory timing table (or more).

5.7 Stock block and heads, crazy Spartan cam, long tubes with a 90mm LSX throttle body. Matt@DIY suggest not going over 22 degrees using racing fuel. I basically copied your table, with a 22 degree top limit. I am just now learning how to use the TS and struggling a lot.

Thanks,

Main things you'll use in tuner studio:
1- VE table
2- Spark table
3- auto tune

On the dyno my tune produced minimal torque. Might be worth addin timing closer to the stock table for you.

PM me your email. I'll send you the different timing tables I have.

Main things you'll use in tuner studio:
1- VE table
2- Spark table
3- auto tune

On the dyno my tune produced minimal torque. Might be worth addin timing closer to the stock table for you.

PM me your email. I'll send you the different timing tables I have.

Thanks,
PM on the way.

Greg

I'd like to thank map63vette for the ride in his ms hemi swap dart. Also the info and details of his swap and being such a nice young man. Very nice car indeed and it runs so smoothly.

I will be going to ms3x route for sure. Just seems a better option to know the in and outs of my efi system. Instead of plug and go. I also want to go with a single coil and plug setup like the ls coils. Can I do this with the hemi reluctor wheel???

Is the MS3 Pro worth the extra money? Im kinda thinkin since I may have a harness to pilage, this would save so much $$$$. I can solder fine and I can wire. Only EFI experience I have is with an EZ EFI. And it liked a 14.0 idle, 13.5 cruise and about 12.3-12.5 WFO. You can aslo datalog with Ms3x and Pro no?

I just have an MS2 Extra and have been plenty happy, but then again I never really planned to go sequential injection since I'm using the MSD for spark and use its tach signal as the MS trigger. The 3 definitely has some nice features though like the SD card logging.

I'd like to thank map63vette for the ride in his ms hemi swap dart. Also the info and details of his swap and being such a nice young man. Very nice car indeed and it runs so smoothly.

I will be going to ms3x route for sure. Just seems a better option to know the in and outs of my efi system. Instead of plug and go. I also want to go with a single coil and plug setup like the ls coils. Can I do this with the hemi reluctor wheel???

The Megasquirt doesn't care which reluctor wheel goes with which coil pack. Two different systems, with their own settings. So yes, you can do it. But The part I would be concerned about it getting a signal to 16 coil packs to trigger... Not sure if wiring them in parallel or in series would get the signal correctly, or if you could modify the box enough to send 16 individual signals.

Are you afraid of blowing out the spark at high boost? Or? I understand the truck lsx coils can handle tons of boost without blowing out the spark. Also I believe the hemi coils are good up to 20+ psi with reduced spark plug gaps.

How much boost are you looking to run?

I actually think it's a decent idea (running 16 lsx coils). Reason I say this is because they are logic level and will fire without a coil driver box (saves ~$100-$200 in coil drivers).

Is the MS3 Pro worth the extra money? Im kinda thinkin since I may have a harness to pilage, this would save so much $$$$. I can solder fine and I can wire. Only EFI experience I have is with an EZ EFI. And it liked a 14.0 idle, 13.5 cruise and about 12.3-12.5 WFO. You can aslo datalog with Ms3x and Pro no?

MS3 pro has a cleaner look, is water tight, and has a different type of connector. If you don't mind putting the MX3x box in your glovebox, then you're not really giving anything up vs the MS3 pro as far as I can tell.

There do appear to be a few changes to the board. You don't need to adjust the pots internally for crank and cam signals.

Looks like you still need coil drivers with it. And it requires an external MAP sensor.

...........MS-3.........

There do appear to be a few changes to the board. You don't need to adjust the pots internally for crank and cam signals.

Looks like you still need coil drivers with it. And it requires an external MAP sensor.

To me, not having the MAP sensor integrated is an advantage. I'm not sure "anybody else" does this

To me, not having the MAP sensor integrated is an advantage. I'm not sure "anybody else" does this

FYI- you can do internal or external MAP with MS3x. You have to do external with MS3 pro. So no, the MS3 pro does not have an advantage when it comes to this.

Technically you could pull the MAP sensor off of the board on any of the models and mount it remotely if you really wanted, but I agree it's a hassle and a bit of a goofy setup to run a vacuum line to the computer, especially if you have it mounted inside like you typically should on the older boxes. I haven't looked at their latest offerings, but it sounds like they've stepped things up quite a bit to a more professional looking setup. Mine mostly disappears since it's hidden behind the dash, though I left the power board on the front of the heater box so it was easy to get to wiring, relays, and fuses.

Edit: Wow, just read over some of the new stuff. I'm going to have to hook my computer back up and see about loading the latest firmware and playing with stuff again. I had gotten to the point where it was running good and didn't want to mess with it, but with all the features they keep adding I may have to think again. Almost makes me want to get one of the new sealed setups to replace my old MS2.

I was talking one coil, one plug, per cylinder. Not 16 coils only a total only 8. Eliminate the second plug as it is not needed.

I was talking one coil, one plug, per cylinder. Not 16 coils only a total only 8. Eliminate the second plug as it is not needed.

I'm not aware of anyone doing this. Are you? I 'm not sure I can agree with you that the second plug is 'not needed' - mopar wouldn't put it there otherwise.

Anyone know the main reason or list of reasons mopar put two plugs?

Just finished the AC install on the car, and I wired the AC Clutch relay to the megasquirt. The MS3x will cut power to the AC compressor at the throttle position of my choosing (50%), and the MS3x box will turn on the fan for me when the AC is on (and will cut the fan at the throttle position of my choosing as well). I also need to look into cutting the fan above a certain speed.

For the AC install, 12v into the 'Nitrous In' pin tells the box the AC switch has been turned on (and the safety switches in the system are 'okay'), and 'Injector bank 2' grounds the relay to turn on the AC compressor.

If you recall, I have 'Injector bank 1' grounding the relay for the fan (FYI- I just had to upgrade my fan relay - I wired 3 40 amp relays in parallel to handle the mark 8 fan).

I'm not aware of anyone doing this. Are you? I 'm not sure I can agree with you that the second plug is 'not needed' - mopar wouldn't put it there otherwise.

Anyone know the main reason or list of reasons mopar put two plugs?

I believe the main reasoning behind the two plug setup was the original wasted spark design of the engine to help clean up the Hemi's somewhat notorious emisisons issues. The engines breathe so easy that they can pull intake charges straight through and out the exhaust port. The early engines had all the wires across the engine as you might recall, so one coil pack fired a plug in its respective cylinder and the one opposite it in regard to firing order. They weren't necessary designed to fire at the same time, though I see no reason they couldn't do this. Would potentially offer a more consistent flame front, but at the same time it can cause two wave fronts to collide which can be a big detonation problem.

I believe the main reasoning behind the two plug setup was the original wasted spark design of the engine to help clean up the Hemi's somewhat notorious emisisons issues. The engines breathe so easy that they can pull intake charges straight through and out the exhaust port. The early engines had all the wires across the engine as you might recall, so one coil pack fired a plug in its respective cylinder and the one opposite it in regard to firing order. They weren't necessary designed to fire at the same time, though I see no reason they couldn't do this. Would potentially offer a more consistent flame front, but at the same time it can cause two wave fronts to collide which can be a big detonation problem.

Well said that is exactly why there are dual plugs. Emission only. I dont have emissions or reason for a second plug. The coils won't fire at my power level and are of mo use. When there isn't a dual coil capable of firing the energy I require. It is not applicable for me to use them.

The spark doesnt start blowing out of the stockers until about 1200hp. Lofty goals topping that with a stock block anyway.

I've seen 1000 HP 6.1L Hemis with stock blocks built (Hot Rod built one), wonder if they last? Anyone have first hand experience?

Sorry for the off topic.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

I'm looking at 15-1700 @ probably 30psi or so. On different fuels to boot. Hoping for less. I've yet to decide on if ill buy the aluminum block with the tytech heads. A few have said my block will take it but I'm skeptical myself. Time and finances will tell.

Fuel I'm gonna try e85 and/or methonal for sure. Switching to c/q16 for rules depending on race events ill attend.

Checking and changing 16 plugs is just rediculous maintence cost I don't need or want. Perhaps just switch plugs on the cylinder when nessessary would suffice? Lol. Less track round work with that idea. Haha

I've seen 1000 HP 6.1L Hemis with stock blocks built (Hot Rod built one), wonder if they last? Anyone have first hand experience?

Sorry for the off topic.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

Hemisam is up there I believe. Not sure on what block he has ran but I also think he has the aluminum one now. He has changed his combo a few times. He also runs the mile all out and not so much the drag strip. A wealth of knowledge in his head.

I'm looking at 15-1700 @ probably 30psi or so. On different fuels to boot. Hoping for less. I've yet to decide on if ill buy the aluminum block with the tytech heads. A few have said my block will take it but I'm skeptical myself. Time and finances will tell.

How far along are you? I just found your build thread- you should update it and outline your build (motor, turbo, etc).

I'll start asking questions over there...

thanks for the posts about megasquirt, it makes me think I will use it on my 6.1 hemi, do you have the stock timing table for it by chance? I am going to be running the motor bone stock so it should work fine

-
Back