How to remove stuck drums

-

LocuMob

Fluid Technician
Reaction score
I have an 8 & 3/4 axle that the drums are stuck/rusted on. Tried backing off the adjusters but that didn't help. I sprayed some PB Blaster in hopes that a 24 hour soak might free it up. Going to see if it helps in the morning. Anyone have any suggestions?

Take a wire brush, clean the area around the center register and soak it down rear good with your PB Blaster. Some times it takes a big hammer and/or heat to get them to let go. I have had to cut the brake shoe pin heads off from the backing plate before to get things to let go.

I have used a oxy-acetylene torch to carefully heat the center area right around the center hole. You have to be careful, apply a little heat at a time and keep the torch moving constantly around and around. The idea is to just heat it enough to break the rust a tiny bit. Do it right and they will come off easy.

But, I would use this as a last resort; first line of attack is to soak them and then tap the back of the drum's edges with a hammer, not too hard, and repeat it around and around the back edge.

Take a wire brush, clean the area around the center register and soak it down rear good with your PB Blaster. Some times it takes a big hammer and/or heat to get them to let go. I have had to cut the brake shoe pin heads off from the backing plate before to get things to let go.
X2
Wire brush, emery cloth ect. clean around where the center of the axle protrudes from the drum and soak with blaster. If the drum won't budge with gentle persuasion and loving taps from a block of 2x4 and a hammer, call Uncle Victor. If it's moving around it's the shoes and hardware holding it on.

My method is use a pry bar between the drum and backing plate. Gently pull on pry bar and smack center of axle with 2 pound hammer. Move pry bar to other side and repeat. I then put pry bar in each side and walk the drum off. Don't get too big a bite with pry bars or you will bend backing plate or crack the drum.

I have used the following technique successfully:

1. Liberally soak the brake drum center hole / axle interface with Liquid Wrench (or something similar) and allow time for it to work.

2. Install a large three jaw gear puller on brake drum and tighten to apply tension to the the puller. Watch drum carefully as it will begin to "distort" it's shape if too much tension is applied to it - you don't want that much tension on it.

3. Tap the gear puller center bolt with a good sized hammer. The drum should pop off.

4. If step 3 above doesn't work: ensure gear puller is applying adequate tension to drum and strike drum in a circular pattern around its' edge.

Good luck!!

If it's moving around it's the shoes and hardware holding it on.

The one side is moving and one of the pins already undid itself. I forgot to mention that in my first post. The other side seems to move just a little.

I don't have a torch, otherwise I would try that approach. It is in the back of my truck so I could stop by a shop.

I do have a pry bar. More blaster and some prying, see how that does, and go from there.

Maybe see if someone in your area has a drum puller! The service station in my town has one, although it probably hasn't been used for awhile! He loans it to me and a few others on occasion! Maybe some established station in your area has one also!! Geof

Once you do get the drum off you may want to run some emery cloth on the center hub to get any rust buildup off making it easier the next time you have to pull it.

I got the loose side drum off with a pry bar. I'll try to pry the other side tomorrow.

Once you do get the drum off you may want to run some emery cloth on the center hub to get any rust buildup off making it easier the next time you have to pull it.

I'm going to put BBP axles and 11" drums on the car, so I'm not too concerned about what I'm taking off. Not that I want to ruin it though.

I got the other side off. Pry bar and PB Blaster did the trick. A big hammer also helped. I did smash the drums up a bit, but there life was already near the end. Thanks everyone for your suggestions, I appreciate it! Now to throw this unit under the car with the super stock springs.

-
Back