How to replace Walamrt

-

RedFish

Reaction score
Is it possible for a new retailer to appear and systematicly replace walmart as Americas #1 retailer ? I think so.
A couple weeks ago I had a idea for an animated .GIF showing a walmart worker taking Valentines crap off the shelf with one hand and putting up Easter crap with the other hand just as fast as it could go. Might get a few laughs but I'm no artist or programmer so that idea got archived.... until today.
I just went to Walmart to purchase Wesleys Bleech-White in the 1/2 gallon economy refill size. They no longer stock that item. The smaller pump spray size is still available.
This is not the first time they have removed an item people need to make more room for crap people dont need.
I wish someone would take customers best interest as a priority. They just might knock Walmart down to Kmart status.
Just simple little things like glow in the dark lettering on the carry-out bags could save pedestrians (shoppers on foot) from being hit buy cars after dark. and there is advertising to be gained there as well.
Those bags are commonly called T-shirt bags. Cut the bottom out and it will pull over like a T-shirt. Forget shoppers and imagine everyone from children to joggers sporting the 'Your Store' logo along the roadside when visablity is low.
And once you've offered an item and customers have grown accustom to purchasing it from you, DONT FREAKIN DISCONTINUE IT !
Now... who can create animated GIF ? A smiley with Wamart smock on its back would be perfect .

This post reminded me of the following story. In a nearby town there was an office supply store. I don't remember which, but it was either Office Depot or Office Max. About five years ago a new Super Wal Mart opened there & started carrying a large variety of office suplies at prices lower than the office supply store. The big office supply store went out of business. Then Wal Mart quirt carrying most of the office supplies. I admit that I do a lot of shopping at Wal Mart, but it is at least a 50 mile drive each way for me to do so. It wouldn't bother me to see somebody come along & give them a run for their money, but they'll have an uphill battle. Wal Mart is pretty firmly entrenched.

I avoid WalMart, Home Depot and similar stores as much as I possibly can. They have taken "customer service" out of the English dictionary. I go out of my way to frequent stores that still provide some level of assistance, personal attention, and care what the customer wants. If it costs a bit more I just consider it the value of their service.

There are a couple of locally owned harware stores and auto part stores around here. Beware the older workers there who have been there like forever.
They tend to socialize (chit-chat) with a friend or neighbor when paying customers are standing there waiting for assistance. I know of 2 old farts I'd fire today !

I avoid WalMart, Home Depot and similar stores as much as I possibly can. They have taken "customer service" out of the English dictionary. I go out of my way to frequent stores that still provide some level of assistance, personal attention, and care what the customer wants. If it costs a bit more I just consider it the value of their service.

I dont like walmart. On the few occasions Ive been there, I leave feeling dirty.

There are a couple of locally owned harware stores and auto part stores around here. Beware the older workers there who have been there like forever.
They tend to socialize (chit-chat) with a friend or neighbor when paying customers are standing there waiting for assistance. I know of 2 old farts I'd fire today !

Either that or one worker will stand and BS while the other one is trying to work. I came across this last year and walked up and asked what she was doing? She said she was talking to the other person. I said I can see that, aren't you supposed to be working like she is? She said who are you? I said I am your boss, She says no your not! I say, lets go ask the store manager and see if he thinks I'm your boss or not. Doesn't sound like a good idea does it? maybe you should go find something to do.

I thanked the other employee for trying to work while she has being bothered.

My wife hit me pretty hard in the arm for doing that. She said I was kind of being an ***. Being in management nothing ticks me off more than a crappy employee trying to bring down a good one to their level.

Chuck

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/walmart/

Don't answer the question till you have seen the show.

I LIKE K-Mart and try to buy there.(And Fred Myers on the west coast).

I go to Wal-Mart as a last resort.

The low price is smoke and mirrors.
They have a marketing gimmick for that.
And they actually have joined China in defending against “dumping” lawsuits to run American companies out of business.

People (my family in Arkansas) think Wal-Mart is great.
But then they complain about the "service".
Well,duh.

What gets me angry is when I am leaving Walmart with $150.00 in food and the door alarm sounds and you have mostly rude *** under paid staff chasing you down asking for a reciept... I have decided to let them how I feel tell them to ask the cashier what I paid for if they need to know. I then simply walk away. that has happen twice now in the past couple months! I also inform the cashier of my plan as I am paying! Once a walmart employee stole fifteen minutes of my life checking my bags comparing products to my reciept! I feel they owe me something for my time after that! You feel like a thief when that happens!

Remember the old commercial on TV of the walmart semi truck driver that turn his truck around to help someone broke down on the side of the road? or the nice old man who created walmart who still drove his old pick-up truck to work. Now i believe he was just a tight *** old man!

Wal Mart treats its employees like crap, min. wage, no health care-well they have some BS plan now.

Also I hate those video camera screens that show you as you are walking in. Wal Mart must think very highly of its customers that they remind everybody walking in not to shoplift. Many stores do have cameras now of days but most keep them out of sight. Its very low to believe people need to be reminded not to steal.

We each have the choice to spend our money where we want to.

Just reading this thread, you notice that on one hand some people get pissed that there's no customer service at Walmart/Homedepot, etc. yet on the other hand some people get pissed when the smaller stores actually strike up a conversation with some customers and that those 'chatty' employees should be fired. So who's right??

after watching the documentary about walmart, i will never set foot in that money grubbing store again. how they treat their employees, how the people suffer that make their produsts overseas, etc.:finga:

we have small mom/pop stores here that are great. we have an ace hardware(ace ellis hardware) where most of the stuff is behind the counter(its in oakland you know), but the customer service is outstanding! even the young kids working there have a great work ethic and if it cost more than home depot, so what. this is the backbone of a great community.:cheers:

I only go to Wally world as a last resort. I remember what actually helped them grow in the 70's was that they advertised "made in America". Now, you can't hardy find anything made in America there.
I recently read an article how today's economy, near recession, is the absolute best thing that could happen for Wally's...
C

I also watched the 2005 documentary "WALMART: The High Cost of Low Price", and it made me feel guilty about the money I spent at WALMART in the past. I refuse to even set foot in the door.

I also tend to agree that other "big-box" stores also are a problem and the retail environment is such that customer service is not available today in many places at all.

Customer service is what keeps me OUT of most mom and pop type of stores. When I go to the hardware store, I don't want to have to try to explain what I'm trying to build, fix, or do. I want to be left the bleeeeeep alone! Usually I am still designing my project in my head and I am there to check to see whats available or to get ideas. The biggest offenders around here seem to be Ace Hwd, RadioShack, and lately the Advance auto. The "can I help you" seems now to be taught as a way to upsell only.

RadioShack seems to have the biggest retards, I let one try to "help" me, asked for a tube of "heat sink grease" pretty simple. I had nothing better to do that day so I let her wander all around the store looking for it, check the computer, ask the other employee on duty, and spend about 25 minutes before telling me that they must be out of it. I said really, and walked over right to where there were 6 packages on the shelf. Next time I came in she left me alone.

I'm a big boy, I can ASK for help if I need it, and if I don't ask I don't bleeeeeeeping need your help or want it. Pester me and my money will get spent elsewhere.

TopHat

Update;
My brother is taking his Sams Club membership after the Bleech-White for me (hope he finds it there). That little pump spray bottle is available most anywhere. I'm not buying X count of those to fill this soak tank.
Surely someone stocks the refill jugs. Walmart doesn't know and doesn't care either.

i hope you don't use bleech white on your tires. that stuff dries them out really fast.

Watch out for the "Wal-Martians" There are some pretty creepy people that shop there. Mike

i hope you don't use bleech white on your tires. that stuff dries them out really fast.
Haven't used Bleech-White on my tries. Wouldn't want it on my hubcaps or wheels either. I use it to strip plastic parts so I have seen how corosive it is.

The only times I've ever been in a Wal-Mart was when I lived in Lancaster County, Pa. back in the mid-90's. And only then I went there with friends whom shopped there all the time. Personally, I'd rather pay a little more and support a local store (even if they talk to their customers...) as opposed to those Bastard big-bussiness scum bags.

BTW: Ever see the parody South Park did on Walmart?

i went into the new lowes here a few months ago. was fairly early am and there werent many people in the store. i get my stuff and get the the checkout and the cashier starts talking to me in mexican. i left the whole cart of stuff there and went to tell the manager that id never be back in there again. ill pay a little more at the small lumberyard where they talk american.
ive also never been in a walmart.

Lowes is nicer than homedopt, they have A/C and clean floors but the P/A system makes so much noise! Its always, din ding, att. Lowes assoc., custumer needs asst. in blah blah dept., every few mins and its LOUD.

Whats nice about the big box stores is the return policy, buy a tool and use it a few times and if you are not thrill about it, getting your money back is no questions ask. If they take a lost, I don't lose any sleep over it, unlike a mom and pop store.

Better watch your local Wal-Mart store. I normally like to assist and help load my cart, but no more. I have noticed that the last two trips to the store those bastards have double scanned me when I help. I will watch them like a hawk now and let the clerks do all the work....that is IF I decide to go back.

-
Back