How to verify if an A-body is numbers matching?

-

69CudaFan

Reaction score
Spcifically, a 69 Barracuda Vert. I am aware of the dash VIN, engine block VIN, the radiator support and the driver's side trunk under the weatherstripping. Are there other spots to check?

Broadcast sheet (if they have it, or it is in the car)...what am I missing? Are there numbers on the tranny, rear end, etc and where are they exactly? Just want to make sure that I am giving this car the correct attention that it seems to deserve. It looks great in photos, but we all know that song and dance.

This info will make quite a big difference in my offer, and I am going to look at it on the 25th of this month, and the car supposedly has a ton of documentation (original bill of sale from around 1970, manuals, binders, etc...) I just want to make sure if they are touting it as "a rare, numbers matching car" that it is through and through.

That being said, how do you guys inspect a potential purchase? Any pointers? Check for oil spots, drips, leaks? panel alignment? cosmetics? magnet for major bodywork?

Sorry for the newb questions, but I want to be armed as best I can for this purchase. If it goes through I will surely post pics!

AWESOME INFO! That is exactly what I was looking for! I think I have a good idea of how to evaluate what I am looking at, but I really wanted to consult FABO members so that I can give this car my full attention.

Again, this car seems great on the surface. We will see how things pan out after I spend some quality time in person with the car on the 25th.

Anyone else care to chime in? I know that I should check the fenderwells, the rockers and rear quarters for rust. Additionally, if there is undercoating on the car (wheelwells, undernearth) it should be body colored, correct?

These cars were undercoated after they were painted at the factory.
I thought that the numbers on the transmission were on a pad on the passenger side just above the oil pan in '69.....That's where mine was.
Correct me if i'm wrong.

Well, since this is a convertible you are talking about, areas like the floor area under the rear seat and in the trunk where the top folds into the well should be checked over very carefully. The rain trough for the back window and top doesn't really do that good of a job keeping water from falling into that area in the well and usually results in rusted brackets and metal under the rear seat. The 67-69 Cudas also have a penchant for rusting on the top of the inner fenders and the flange along the top of the fender where it bolts to the inner, under the hood.

Yes, there are numbers on the drivers side pan rail of the trans that will give you the part number and 10,000 day calendar to pinpoint your tranmission's origin. Also, there are date codes on every component if you really have the time to run numbers and find out what's been replaced along the way, but unless it's a rare car it's not really that necessary to have a perfectly correct car. If you can come close with a 340 car or a Formula "S" it helps to have correct stuff, but just a regular production 318 or /6 car, not so much!! I'm sure you'll be changing things to suit your taste anyway, so as the great philosopher and thinker of thoughts "The Burger King" once said..."Have it your way"!!!

The undercoating on the car will have been applied after the paint so it should be a grey/blackish color and will probably be very hastily applied if it is factory, which it will probably be. I think you're going to find that when inspecting a highly documented car that the car itself will either back up the documentation or dispute it. Things like a new paint job, overspray, areas in the trunk and floor pans that show that the body has been worked on will all show themselves unless flawlessly done, in which case you needn't worry about them anyway. Are the pedal pads worn or do they show wear indicative of the mileage of the car. Has anything been changed like the intake, wheels, exhaust?? Are there signs of new gaskets in the motor that would indicate that it has been opened up??

Documentation can also be meant to include receipts for new parts or procedures done to the car through the years. It doesn't necessarily mean that the car is rare or any more valuable, but it can lead you to an interesting timeline of events that will help you identify the status of the car. Things like oil change receipts not only show that the car was maintained, but having the dates and mileage on receipts is a good way to track the cars use and how much time passed between maintenance, showing that the car was driven sparingly or an everyday driver, or maybe how an event such as a motor problem sidelined the car or changed its use.

Above all is your comfort level with the car. Make sure it's what you want and is at a level in which you can enjoy it. Don't get something so rare or low mileage that you can't enjoy driving it if thats what you want to do, and don't get a car with a lot of maintenance issues if you live in an apartment...well, you know!! Good luck with your purchase, any convertible is worth having IMO!!! Geof

That is all great information. I am printing stuff so that I can remember it all, or try to get to it.

I certainly feel well-armed to go into this purchase with a fresh set of objective eyes. I think that one of the harder things to do is to remove the emotion from a potential purchase.

Going over the car from tip to tail in an afternoon should give me a really good idea for the condition of the car, its history, how it was cared for, and perhaps I will have a new fish in my garage soon! Supposedly there is a stash of extra parts, wheels and tires, and documentation that all come with the car.

Wish me luck and as always, I will keep you posted!

That is all great information. I am printing stuff so that I can remember it all, or try to get to it.

I certainly feel well-armed to go into this purchase with a fresh set of objective eyes. I think that one of the harder things to do is to remove the emotion from a potential purchase.

Going over the car from tip to tail in an afternoon should give me a really good idea for the condition of the car, its history, how it was cared for, and perhaps I will have a new fish in my garage soon! Supposedly there is a stash of extra parts, wheels and tires, and documentation that all come with the car.

Wish me luck and as always, I will keep you posted!

The extra stash of parts is great but that would make me look to see what has been changed out of the stash parts. I am doing a 68 Barracuda convertible and have been gathering correct numbered parts as far as I can. One biggy is grilles for the 69 because they are nearly unobtainable in perfect condition.

-
Back