Hp273 Valve covers back from Leanna

-

toolmanmike

Staff member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Here's a few before and after shots of my valve covers that Leanna just got done for me. They turned out fantabulous and Leanna went the extra mile to make them perfect. I owe her big. See for yourself. She's the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Toolman

Nice! Who's Leanna? I love those valve covers.

What motor are you going to put them on?

LEECAR006.jpg

Certainly you jest! Cudachick, Leanna, Phoenix Specialty Coatings.
She does great work! toolmanmike

Mike, it was my pleasure helping with your restoration. They were a challenge for sure! I'm delighted to hear you're happy with the results though.

Moparlee, it's my pleasure to make your acquaintance <curtseying>. I'm as surprised as Toolman is to discover we haven't 'met' before (you've been here a few months longer than me) ... maybe some day we'll get to work together on one of your projects.

fstfish Don, the fins have to be removed / reattached for the coating to be successful.

Thanks for all the kind words guys!!!! I love what I do around here. :-D

So you are coating that is wrinkle? Killer, I really thought it was you. I didn't realize the wrinkle was able to be done in a coating deal? So is that a power coat application?

Better late than never with my response. I type slow. I'll figure that out when I get there. LOL I think I'll pull the intake and clean it up. It needs to be re-sealed. I also have a nice oil pan ready to go. My original one leaks and is pretty crunched on the bottom side. I got a front end kit from PST that I hope to install or have installed this summer. I don't want to do anything that will prevent me from driving it. I have a graduation to prepare for this June and house repairs and painting after that so the Dart project will be in small pieces this summer. toolman

Moparlee, yes, it's a wrinkle powder called "Wetstone Black" that's a dead ringer for Mopar's famous wrinkle finish. I use a lot of it around here.

Powders aren't just shiny black anymore!!! LOL There's over 6,500+ colors, textures and finishes available ... and custom matching too. Take a look at the website's Gallery and Color Charts sections some time and you'll see what I mean.

Moparlee, yes, it's a wrinkle powder called "Wetstone Black" that's a dead ringer for Mopar's famous wrinkle finish. I use a lot of it around here.

Powders aren't just shiny black anymore!!! LOL There's over 6,500+ colors, textures and finishes available ... and custom matching too. Take a look at the website's Gallery and Color Charts sections some time and you'll see what I mean.

Killer, thanks for your time.

I cleaned and polished mine and might just leave mine polished for a minute... They look cool....

380894093_1315970765_0.jpeg

Should look nice on top of my Chrysler Orange 273 Block with a 600 Holley on top, in a Silver Engine Compartment, in a Turquoise Car. My car does not have a dark personality at all. White Interior... She's a purdy lady ;)
380894733_1315973024_0.jpeg

I would like to put everything back to stock at one point so I'll keep Pheonix in mind, cause Dang! Them puppies look swheeete

Nice! Who's Leanna? lmao :-D

She and Billy at Phoenix Specialty Coatings did my intake and adapter.
Billy went through my Holley 390 and fixed me up with an adapter
I was going to have the air horn breather coated but they saved me some cash and peed pasted and polished it. Thay are the best

Your valve covers look nize toolman :cheers:

461.jpg

zzzzzzzzzzzz.jpg

brether.jpg

DOMINOS 009.jpg

DOMINOS 031.jpg

Cool, maybe some day I'll have her do some stuff for me..........as a matter fact I have some PAW valve covers for my 392 Hemi that I'm going to want something done to them.

Cool, maybe some day I'll have her do some stuff for me..........as a matter fact I have some PAW valve covers for my 392 Hemi that I'm going to want something done to them.

You have a Hemi...............I hate you...........:bootysha: LOL 8)

You have a Hemi...............I hate you...........:bootysha: LOL 8)

Ya know when I see the pictures of your valiant and you smoking your tires I hate you too. LOL

You should be really proud of what you've built there, it really looks good.

How did the finned pieces come off without tearing out the baffles???
I stripped mine with a wire brush, hosed them with VHT wrinkle (which matched my Hemi valve covers the closest) and ran them through a commercial dryer to wrinkle them...but not TOO wrinkle-y. Ran the tops of the fins under a polishing wheel and jewlers rouge. Then dipped the wire looms with plasti-dip. The rubbery stuff you use to coat tool handles. came out like factory new.

Nice! Who's Leanna? lmao :-D

She and Billy at Phoenix Specialty Coatings did my intake and adapter.
Billy went through my Holley 390 and fixed me up with an adapter
I was going to have the air horn breather coated but they saved me some cash and peed pasted and polished it. Thay are the best

Your valve covers look nize toolman :cheers:

That Offy aircleaner has got to be the coolest looking part I've seen since I discovered an oily blob in the bottom of my bolt box was actually an old chrome aftermarket 273 V8 thermostat housing. That is one wicked cool looking piece. :love7:

The finned aluminum pieces aren't part of the functional part of steel 273 Commando valve covers -- they're purely decorative, and just held on with three (usually very sloppy LOL) dabs of black silicone. The baffles are tack welded on the inside.

Outsider, I've been wanting to get some of that plasti-dip for a lonnnnngggg time as the "finishing touch" on Commando side looms. I'm glad to hear someone else shared my opinion that it would work, and I'm really glad to hear that you like the results. Where did you get yours? I've seen it sold by Eastwood but I'll never buy another thing from them.

Learn something new everyday! I thought that those fins were rivited on. I wish you would have told me that about 7 years ago when I was polishing mine (plus the entire valve cover) under a thin wheel. That would have saved me a headache.
I bought a quart of plasti-dip at Northern Hydraulics years ago. I just keep dropping ball bearings into the can as I use it, to to keep the air out so it won't harden. I filled a 1.5 x 2 inch bottle cap with the Plasti-dip and dipped them in that. I used a staple box to dip the long one. It worked great with one coat.

-
Back