Huge breakthrough on M.S?

-

needsaresto

Reaction score
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...o-breakthrough-in-treating-ms/article1372414/

It's interesting that they mention the loss of sales to the drug industry. I for one think the treatment will never be approved in North America because of this.However it makes no sense for the treatment to be not approved for monetary reasons. What if it helps me go back to work and become a productive member of society again? Im sure the Canadian govt is missing the taxes they got from the 20 grand in overtime I used to do every year,lol. Plus I am getting to the point where I will need a disability pension from the govt in a few years when the sick leave through work finally runs out.So if you can lobby or know someone who can,please think about helping the millions of folks who have M.S.

I would love to try this. To wake up pain free and feeling good is just a crack pipe dream right now. I hate to ***** at you guys again,but Im really having a rough time lately.And to read of something that will very likely help but maybe never be available to me angers me to the point where I want to load my gun and find a target.

What if the entire current premise for research into a cure is wrong? They need to consider everything. An agioplasty sounds relatively harmless and no more risk than for someone who has it done for heart reasons. My wife is more sceptical than me that it will help,but she is far more cynical than me.

Please spread this around to your Doctors and friends,especially those with M.S. This is very impotant to me and I appreciate your help!

PLEASE!!!

It might not cure everyone but if it helps just 1/2 or even several hundred thousand,it will be miraculous.

So many people just dont understand why I need to go back to bed a few hours after getting up,or cant walk more than a few hundred yards. I hope they never do have to learn firsthand. This didease has destroyed my life and I have had to make many changes to accomodate it.

My hunting partner was deeply saddened this year by my inabilty to do the things I cold do last season,as my condition is rapidly declining.

Thanks for reading folks.

Sorry to hear you're having a tough time, I hope the Canucks win last night put a little smile on your face if only for a short time.

That's a faciniating article, I would like to think the testing and procedure will take off based on the results to date. With more success stories hopefully, maybe it can get in place here quickly. Can you talk to your Doc and see if he can at least arrange for an MRI to test you? I know getting MRI's here are difficult to book and takes forever. :angry7:

If it were me this would offer hope and I would cling to it like a dog with a bone. Maybe you could make contact with the place in Buffalo that is involved with it, do anything you can to get in the loop. Good luck, I'll do what I can to spread the word.

Sorry to hear you're having a tough time, I hope the Canucks win last night put a little smile on your face if only for a short time.

That's a faciniating article, I would like to think the testing and procedure will take off based on the results to date. With more success stories hopefully, maybe it can get in place here quickly. Can you talk to your Doc and see if he can at least arrange for an MRI to test you? I know getting MRI's here are difficult to book and takes forever. :angry7:

If it were me this would offer hope and I would cling to it like a dog with a bone. Maybe you could make contact with the place in Buffalo that is involved with it, do anything you can to get in the loop. Good luck, I'll do what I can to spread the word.

When being diagnosed with M.S they prioritised my MRI. I had one within a week due to the urgent nature of my symtoms. I printed the article for my Doctor. Contacting Boston would liekly do nothing.They probably have people beating thier doors in. already.

And yes watching those crazy canucks last night put me in a great mood.

Hopefully Daniel Sedins return to the lineup on Sunday goes well and does not upset the current chemistry which seems to be working well for them.

With this years experience I've had working with the disabled, I am a "specialty fabricator" with a company that build wheelchair accessable vehicles, as well as sales and repairs on all kinds of scooters and powerchairs. I know this could be a huge breakthrough. Nothing pains me more then assembling a wheelchair or powerchair that is ment for a child. Watching a person with the beginning of ms is just painful and makes my heart sink. I really hope this comes through to improve your life and the many others that suffer with this.

The problem with modern medicine, in my opinion, is that it is run like a business that does what it has to to insure the most profit. Thus all of the research into treating symptoms instead of finding a cure. It really is a shame if not a sin that it is this way. I will pray that this treatment is approved. MS is a terrible condition. Something like this procedure which really seems to work needs to be looked into further. It is our obligation as human beings to do everything we can to eliminate conditions like MS. As Rob said, do anything you can to get into the loop. Contact the people in Buffalo and be as big a PITA as you need to be to become part of this research. Good luck with this.
Frank

I found out that my 21 yr old niece is now in a wheelchair due to MS. I sure hope that they come up with some medication that will help you both. I can't imagine how painful and debilitating this disease must me.

My prayers are out for you.

Hey csx452,I agree! The "cures" get buried as they are often repeatable by everyday folks and would cost nothing and be unpatentable.

Im currently researching ozone therapy as an aid to getting me back to work.I have a friend who knows quite a bit and has a video to lend me.

I often wonder after 50 or more years of people raising billions of dollars to cure MS and cancer why it is so slow coming. Everything is so corrupt you just know they are not fighting for us, sometimes it feels like its us stiffs againest the corperations and the gov!

needaresto, you have my sympathies....my wife has lupas and fibromyalga. she will have a couple good days, and then for the next 4 or 5 feel miserable, she often stays in her pjs all day. i have yet to read the article that is in your post, but I will. i agree with csx about modern medicine. treat the symptoms, not the illness. i am diagnosed severe, mixed episode bi-polar. the best part is i can not take any of the mood stabilzers, so i am pretty much "untreatable". my docs solution, and i took his advice, was to find a place out in the country and then apply for disabilty. hang in there, you are among friends....:cheers:

My brother was involved in an experiment where they used a known and approved antihistamine that eased the effects of Muscular Dystrophy.

Even if you think there are people pounding on the doors of the place with the experimental drugs, you should til look into it if you feel it might be something you want to do. First, there are people who will not do it for the very reason that its experimental. Second, you may fit the demographic they wish to test, so you would be accepted immediately.

Strange, last night I remembered to say a prayer for you and your family. Oddly last week I met a lady whose husband is from Ferrara, Italy. I will keep my eyes and ears open about this treatment and try to get the word out any way I can. Just curious, would you consider going to Italy if money was not a concern?

Y grandfather passed away at the extremley young age of 54 due to MS. I saw how horrible of a disease it was first hand and hoped my him as my mother is a nurse and was his caregiver which made it alot easier on him. My family does the MS walk every year in support. I hope they do come with a cure. I also wish the best for you my friend and the best for your family with helpig with eerythig they can for you.

My prayers

Jeff

My heart truly goes out to you. I've dealt with minor tremors for years (can't pick up drinks sometimes with my left hand, too shaky) and some minor neuropathy (tingling, numbness) in my feet from Type II diabetes, but I can't imagine what it must be like living with MS. I sincerely hope this is the breakthrough that you and many others need...

But, this made me just livid :angryfir:
"The U.S. society (Multiple Sclerosis Society) goes further, discouraging patients from getting tested or seeking surgical treatment. Rather, it continues to promote drug treatments used to alleviate symptoms, which include corticosteroids, chemotherapy agents and pain medication."

Yep, don't get tested, don't find out that this may be what you've needed. Just stay on the steroids and the chemo that's slowly killing you and wash it all down with pain meds that will keep you out of commission. Oh, and don't forget to raise $$$ for the MS Society of America! F^%kers!
I took a look at the their site: http://www.nationalmssociety.org/news/news-detail/index.aspx?nid=2206 and interestingly enough, when they describe Dr. Zamboni's breakthrough hypothesis/procedure, they don't mention iron, a heavy metal, AT ALL. WONDER WHY? Heavy metals, like lead, cadmium, mercury and iron(in larger than trace amounts)can cause neuropathic conditions...

Heavy Metal Poisoning
Heavy metals and other toxins may alter, remove, or impair the production of specific molecules needed in the body. They may alter the structure of various entities such as the mitochondria or a cell nucleus. Heavy metals may create disturbances in the cell-to-cell communication occurring between inflammatory mediators, nerve cells, or hormones.
Toxic heavy metals target sites such as membrane or structural proteins, enzymes, or DNA molecules. Once at the target site, they can displace an important mineral from its binding site and “pretend” to be this mineral. This is called ‘”molecular mimicry”; however, they cannot perform the mineral’s function and so inhibit any activity at the binding site, affecting cellular function.

Hey csx452,I agree! The "cures" get buried as they are often repeatable by everyday folks and would cost nothing and be unpatentable.

Im currently researching ozone therapy as an aid to getting me back to work.I have a friend who knows quite a bit and has a video to lend me.
It may be worth looking into Rife frequencies as well as Solfeggio harmonics/tones. I've been tinkering with the stuff off and on using a freeware tone generator and some mixing software, but keep getting distracted. Quick and dirty: there is some interesting Solfeggio stuff on youtube. I think that the key is what resonates with the individual. The body knows what it needs.

In my opinion, the medical establishment (i.e. pharmaceutical juggernaut) has made entirely too much money in keeping people sick to be relied upon for a proper cure. I truly hope that you find something that works.

This Solfeggio is new to me I hope and pray that the needed treatment get's to everyone that need's it, I see that money is more important to our drug companies then getting things out to the folks that could have a more complete life using it I watched a couple of the Solfeggio on utube and found it very interesting

I won't get into my reasons and why but I do enjoy the sounds of the native pipe, I have two and it is soothing to play along and the vibrations from it sure seems to take the pains away at times.
Nothing is worse than to have to stop being your self and try and be a person that needs to slow down and take one step at a time each day.
I never stayed still and loved working with my skilled hands, Know I do it for about 15 ta 20 minutes at a time before the shaking starts

I get fresh air in my lungs and enjoy the sweet sounds of my flutes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETvFnLg0hXU&feature=related

GEORGE RAYS GONE TO BE  STRONG 020.jpg

Damn I hate computers.I had a lot typed out and hit the wrong key.All gone.
I'll start again.

Shishaldin;

The M.S society is reccomending people stay out of private clinics which are charging for this scan/procedure. They are not TRAINED!!!The scan takes 3 days to learn and is currently almost unknown here. So WTF??Why are the private clinics charging for it? MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's my opinion that any doctor that would open a private clinic cares more for money than patients and cures....I would love to see private clinics banned in Canada,as they are in contravention to our charter of rights anyways.

I have long maintained that heavy metal poisoning was the problem with M.S. Just look at where we live .Heavy industry has been polluting for hundreds of years in all areas where M.S exists.In order to share these pollutants with the world we built tall stacks and put the crap in the trade winds,just to make sure everyone gets sick.Have a look at where the birthplaces of industry are and where the trade winds would take the fallout.

You will not find M.S in 3rd world nations.It doesnt exist.Neither does heavy industry.

The vitamin D/sunlight thing doesnt hold water with me either.If it were true,Eskimo people would all be crippled with M.S.Yet they have survived for thousands of years in subzero condtions that dont allow for taking clothes off and sucking up the sun...AND THEY DONT HAVE M.S.

Me and my wife both developed M.S syptoms about 10 years after moving to Trail,home of the worlds largest lead smelter. Can you say heavy metal poisoning? In fact the M.S rate is extremely high in this area. Doctors brush it off and say it has more to do with genetics and ancestry.Nope,a person from Chile can move here and develope M.S.....I atribute my rapid M.S progression to actually working in all that crap at the smelter and also living in Trail.In fact I blame myself for my wifes M.S in spite of having showers etc right after work. She did my work laundry...I know guys at work who wont bring any of thier underclothes home for fear of getting crap in thier house.

If M.S is caused by a lack of Vitamin D and sunlight how come Eskimo people dont have it in raving bunches? In fact M.S is quite low among natives.They also tend to live as far as possible from white mans crap as possible.Good for them.....

Goldfish,you bet I would go to Italy if money were no object.In fact I would send my wife before myself.She also has M.S. We are caring for our young 9 and 4 year old kids and dealing with M.S. The sad part is that our kids have about a 16% chance of developing M.S in thier lifetimes.

Hers some more articles.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...y-groundbreaking-ms-treatment/article1401820/

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20091215/ccsvi_091215/20091215?hub=Health

With this years experience I've had working with the disabled, I am a "specialty fabricator" with a company that build wheelchair accessable vehicles, as well as sales and repairs on all kinds of scooters and powerchairs. I know this could be a huge breakthrough. Nothing pains me more then assembling a wheelchair or powerchair that is ment for a child. Watching a person with the beginning of ms is just painful and makes my heart sink. I really hope this comes through to improve your life and the many others that suffer with this.

COOL! If I ever need one would you build it for me? Wheelie bars are a must...

Y grandfather passed away at the extremley young age of 54 due to MS. I saw how horrible of a disease it was first hand and hoped my him as my mother is a nurse and was his caregiver which made it alot easier on him. My family does the MS walk every year in support. I hope they do come with a cure. I also wish the best for you my friend and the best for your family with helpig with eerythig they can for you.

My prayers

Jeff

Jeff,thanks for your support and prayers. Im sorry about you Grandfather. M.S is destroying my life and I can certainly relate. It's nice to know that some folks truly understand. Some think Im just being lazy. Ya sure,I gave up on an $85 000/year job so I could collect disability...

This year is the first year I am not shovelling the entire driveway. I simply cant anymore so we called upon my heavily overloaded Visa and bought a snowblower. Even with the blower I am sometimes too tired to just walk behind it.

My main syptoms are severe nueralogical pain,fatigue and lack of muscle control/strength. My left leg collapses without warning,and my left arm hangs useless many days due to combined pain and fatigue.My left arm and leg are also shrinking.I get virtigo really bad sometimes,enough to make me sit down until it passes. I'd love to get back to the gym but theres nothing in the tank for that.
Im deathly afraid of falling during the winter and wear large clunky Kamik boots for thier grip and ankle support.I also put a set of wintertrax on them and am hoping they will improve traction on ice and packed snow. Last winter
I fell while descending from a railcar at work and cracked a rib.Then I got a cold a few days later.Having a cracked rib while sneezing and coughing for two weeks is not enjoyable.

And what the hell keyboard button am I hitting that keeps wiping out what I type? It's near the bottom...My lack of manual control is the culprit.

Quote=The vitamin D/sunlight thing doesnt hold water with me either.If it were true,Eskimo people would all be crippled with M.S.Yet they have survived for thousands of years in subzero condtions that dont allow for taking clothes off and sucking up the sun...AND THEY DONT HAVE M.S.

They eat more fish and get D vitamins that way, I am not saying I disagree just that there diet they get more D then we do.

Jeff,thanks for your support and prayers. Im sorry about you Grandfather. M.S is destroying my life and I can certainly relate. It's nice to know that some folks truly understand. Some think Im just being lazy. Ya sure,I gave up on an $85 000/year job so I could collect disability...

This year is the first year I am not shovelling the entire driveway. I simply cant anymore so we called upon my heavily overloaded Visa and bought a snowblower. Even with the blower I am sometimes too tired to just walk behind it.

My main syptoms are severe nueralogical pain,fatigue and lack of muscle control/strength. My left leg collapses without warning,and my left arm hangs useless many days due to combined pain and fatigue.My left arm and leg are also shrinking.I get virtigo really bad sometimes,enough to make me sit down until it passes. I'd love to get back to the gym but theres nothing in the tank for that.
Im deathly afraid of falling during the winter and wear large clunky Kamik boots for thier grip and ankle support.I also put a set of wintertrax on them and am hoping they will improve traction on ice and packed snow. Last winter
I fell while descending from a railcar at work and cracked a rib.Then I got a cold a few days later.Having a cracked rib while sneezing and coughing for two weeks is not enjoyable.

And what the hell keyboard button am I hitting that keeps wiping out what I type? It's near the bottom...My lack of manual control is the culprit.

hey resto i feel your pain my last living family member my grandma has had MS for 15 years now and has lost almost total control of her left arm and hand. i think she has tried everything in the BULLSH** medical industry and nothing helped at all but she started going to a wholistic kenisioligist(god knows if i spelled that right) but they gave her some vitamins and minerals and stuff and that seems to help but the biggest thing is stay active.i got her to start going walking with me even just up the block and back and she told me that her leg is not giving out as much as it was.

btw if you want if you have a planet fitness near you they have a 99 dollar yearly membership i know its still money but its cheaper.

ill keep you and your wife and kids in my prayers
travis

Quote=The vitamin D/sunlight thing doesnt hold water with me either.If it were true,Eskimo people would all be crippled with M.S.Yet they have survived for thousands of years in subzero condtions that dont allow for taking clothes off and sucking up the sun...AND THEY DONT HAVE M.S.

They eat more fish and get D vitamins that way, I am not saying I disagree just that there diet they get more D then we do.

I was not aware.Is there lots of D in Fish,whale and seal? I think thats mostly what they traditionally eat. And it still doesnt account for native americans having low rates of M.S. Maybe I should build a sweat lodge,lol....

Olddart,the M.S society paid for passes to the local aquatic center. I just dont have the gas...most days I spend resting or sleeping.

There are two dietary forms of vitamin D:

Cholecalciferol
Ergocalciferol
These are naturally found in foods and are added to milk. It is important to note that the milk used to make yogurt and cheese is usually not vitamin D fortified. Foods sources of vitamin D include:

Cod liver oil (best source). Cod liver oil often contains very high levels of vitamin A which can be toxic over time. Ask your health care provider.
Fatty fish such as salmon, mackerel, tuna, sardines, herring
Vitamin D-fortified milk and cereal
Eggs
Multiple Sclerosis (MS)

Scientists have observed that MS rates are significantly lower in areas that receive a lot of sunlight and where people eat a lot of fish. Fish is a rich source of vitamin D (see Dietary Sources). The clinical studies have suggested that vitamin D from foods and sunlight may help protect against this condition. However, this does not mean that vitamin D supplements will help prevent or treat MS in people. Further human studies are needed

-
Back