Hughes big mouth heads

-

345man2

Reaction score
To the cylinder head porters just wondering on a set of Hughes Cnc big mouth heads is there anything left in the head with hand porting to improve it , I know Indy s are better but for the price they are now, the w-9 stuff isn’t that much more , any thoughts are welcome , because a semi reasonable priced good flowing small block head isn’t exactly an option for the mopar market , thanks guys

RAMM has worked on these heads. search his postings to read what he discovered.

To the cylinder head porters just wondering on a set of Hughes Cnc big mouth heads is there anything left in the head with hand porting to improve it , I know Indy s are better but for the price they are now, the w-9 stuff isn’t that much more , any thoughts are welcome , because a semi reasonable priced good flowing small block head isn’t exactly an option for the mopar market , thanks guys

Take some great advice. If you are looking for excellent power, the Bloomer heads are very hard to beat, and proven to support close to 700 horsepower. I love mine. Very happy with the bolt on quality. All stock style parts bolt up..intakes, headers, rocker gear, etc, etc.
The Hughes big mouth heads from people I know who have looked at them, suffer from the short turn being laid back excessively.
I just saw another bloomer headed smallblock this past weekend at a Mopar event run 10.03 in terrible air, and the car is over 3100 pounds with driver. Very impressive.

Will check into bloomers, just wondering if these heads can be fixed like they need to be and who can do it

Will check into bloomers, just wondering if these heads can be fixed like they need to be and who can do it

I’ve never had a set in my hands but I’ve seen pictures a long time ago. Do you have any Good pictures without the valves in and with good lighting from different angles. Especially up from the valve side. Pictures are free so post a lot of them.

I wish I did there currently still in my car And was trying to figure out threat plan of attack , I’ll do some searching and see if I can find some , thanks Pittsburghracer

I wish I did there currently still in my car And was trying to figure out threat plan of attack , I’ll do some searching and see if I can find some , thanks Pittsburghracer

I’m not a big user of epoxy but I see Splashzone epoxy being used daily by some of the best head porters out there with success. So yes they can be fixed to make great horsepower. Some guys are even capable of welding up the short turn but now you are talking big money. Shipping is so dog gone expensive now but if you tell us the area you live at we can probably point you to someone capable of doing the needed work to hopefully get them in the 325-335 cfm area with nice mid numbers.

That cfm would be great, and there is a way to help them , I’m in western North Carolina

Have you raced this car to get an ET. If so at what weight and any other details on the engine. It might be the combo and not totally the heads fault. The more info the more these guys can help you.

It’s around 3350 with me In it , before the big mouth port I had the stage 3 Hughes port and ran best of 6.69, had to pull motor and had the big mouth porting done and changed my converter , and it slowed it down but track was bad and I haven’t gotten to take it back this summer been to busy working, but mph was off around 4 mph from the other runs, I had the engine dynoed with the stage 3 and when I put it back together ran on the same dyno with the big mouths , I know those numbers aren’t popular but same guy and dyno for both runs ,

I own a set of the Hughes BM heads. The problem is they murdered the ports floor for high lift flow which sacrificed low end flow. The numbers I got from flow bench testing are higher than member @RAMM reports but less than Hughes states.

These heads are best used as intended, race only. These heads will not work well with small cams and low lifts. To be honest, if your not lifting the valve as much as possible and hanging it there for a while with these heads, your wasting time.

The Bloomer head is a better and more rounded head that will kick the BM head and *** inside out, and problem see them back on for you in the wrong place because it can.
That cfm would be great, and there is a way to help them , I’m in western North Carolina
Contact @replicaracer43 He is close to you in Concord.

The numbers I got from flow bench testing are higher than member @RAMM reports but less than Hughes states.

You should add your BM numbers to the SB head flow charts in the race section.
I assume you had Charlie flow them……. If so, did you guys do a video on them?

Rod must have reaaally improved his heads since 2016 or so. I had the first pair ever sold. At that time he took them back and said they would go back to the drawing board. He is really a stand up guy and I'm glad to hear he's putting out a great head. Good on him!

Rod must have reaaally improved his heads since 2016 or so. I had the first pair ever sold. At that time he took them back and said they would go back to the drawing board. He is really a stand up guy and I'm glad to hear he's putting out a great head. Good on him!

The original heads( which were a flop) were designed by someone who had nothing to do with these new heads.
The current heads were done from scratch by Vic Bloomer. He spent several years developing them.
I think it’s fair to say they are better than anything out there out of the box, regards factory style bolt on heads.

Eric did a review on them, he measured a 2.78" push rod pinch, which should be good for a 408 peaking at 7500 rpms, but found they flow fairly low, 285 ish cfm.

Probably best to sale and buy something else, doubt someone gonna find an easy 40-50 cfms in them.

Yea and yes, Charlie flowed them and there is a video on them at Charlie’s YouTube channel.
could it be killing the short side?
Yea

Here’s an example of what can be done with Splashzone. Yours wouldn’t need anywhere near what’s done to these heads but just an example.

IMG_4023.jpeg

I’ve been keeping up with this guy and he seems to know his stuff I may see if I can contact him, do you know of anyone else that has worked on this heads

Something to keep in mind…..
Epoxy in the intake runners and ethanol blended fuels aren’t a match made in heaven.

Something to keep in mind…..
Epoxy in the intake runners and ethanol blended fuels aren’t a match made in heaven.

I run alcohol and the thin coating on my tubing lasts two plus rebuilds. (8-10 years) then I’ll sand it and apply a fresh layer. I’m playing with a couple sealers as we speak.

-
Back