Hughes STL5460AS-8 vs Lunati 40200913LUN cam

-
And the cam for my pickup is a .738/.712, 270/274 @ 050 and 107 lsa. W9 headed factory 360 block with stock stroke. A833 4 speed with 5.30s in the Dana 60 outback. 3,500 to 7,500 powerband
Who cut that cam for you?

Your mistake that you're thinking is that I mean low end as in the commonplace cruising rpm when I really mean low end torque for getting off the line. Do you really think in a 3,700 pound pickup with a 4 speed and 5.30 gears that I'm going to be leaving the line at even 3,000 rpm? No the 2 step is set at 5,000 so as low as I have torque when the engine finally has the load put on it then I'll call it low end. It's a full blown race pickup and that's why I went custom grind
Please forgive me, I didn't realize that your version of low rpm is 5000 rpm. In that case, I agree that your custom cam makes low rpm torque and also revs to 7500. Well done sir!

Please forgive me, I didn't realize that your version of low rpm is 5000 rpm. In that case, I agree that your custom cam makes low rpm torque and also revs to 7500. Well done sir!
My fault as well, should have clarified how I meant it. A instance of subject terminology

I wish I had a 7500 rpm 416. Right now my 418 is a zero rpm pile of parts waiting for assembly.

I think the OP is looking to build a Indy headed 410, if I'm wrong he'll correct me. If that's the case the Hughes cam will be out of air about 6200 or so IMO. I ran a Hughes 260/264 in a 10.8-1 408 with ported Edelbrocks and it was done by 6400.

I don't think bottom end will be an issue with either cam, the 4" crank will make plenty.

Gettin' the popcorn bucket for this one.... I did'nt think rollers and flat tappets compared apples-to-apples well?? Besides the fact that rollers welcome more aggressive profiles without severe wear and tear.
They do and don’t. Everything depends on the lobe design and what you’re doing with it. Price aside……

Not every roller will be more aggressive than a SFT. There are some wicked ramp SFT cams out there. Drag only kind of grinds. These race SFT ramps can easily be more aggressive than an easy street roller. An example of a mild easy going street roller are replacement roller cams designed to meet emissions or very mild performance cams designed to still work easily with the non modified computer. There ramps are slow and lazy.

How much of a difference performance wise would each cam have? Besides that the Lunati is a solid roller vs Hughes solid flat tapped?

Hughes Engines

Drag Race Solid Roller Cam - Chrysler 273-360 288/296

They seems pretty equal on the intake duration @ .050, however the Lunati has 3 degrees more duration @ .050 at the exhaust.

How much of a difference shall the extra 3 degrees make??? From my perspective, it will provide more top end power vs Hughes.....

I like the Hughes cam profile, but would prefer a solid roller cam going forward.
IMHO when you ask a question like this you need to provide more information regarding intended end use, engine displacement and the intended vehicle.
These days I would look hard at the roller, considering oils availability. Lifter durability can go either way. Staying away from cut rate Chinesium components ups the durability factor immensely.
For my 289, I have a flat tappet mild cam taken out of my 351. Because I have this good condition cam I will use it. If I had to purchase a cam I would go for a roller cam and Morel lifters. That will explode the wallet, but you do not want a failure of cheap parts causing a failure requiring a complete teardown.

IMHO when you ask a question like this you need to provide more information regarding intended end use, engine displacement and the intended vehicle.
These days I would look hard at the roller, considering oils availability. Lifter durability can go either way. Staying away from cut rate Chinesium components ups the durability factor immensely.
For my 289, I have a flat tappet mild cam taken out of my 351. Because I have this good condition cam I will use it. If I had to purchase a cam I would go for a roller cam and Morel lifters. That will explode the wallet, but you do not want a failure of cheap parts causing a failure requiring a complete teardown.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Because doing it twice is more expensive than doing it right once.

-
Back