Hums Like A ?

-

two_70darts

Reaction score
My 8 3/4 Has 323 In It But When I Coast To Stop A It Hums Like Wowowowooowwooo Sounds Like A Slow Lathe It Has Over 300,000 Miles On It But Still Lays A Sweet True Dbl Stip At Will Changed Beirings And Fluid But Still A Hums A Like Champ Any Info Would Be Mucho Appricato Do I Have To Rebuild This Thing Or Ride It Till It ?

When you say you changed the bearings did you cange the pinion bearing, especiallly the outer pinion bearing? The outer pinion bearing takes the load when coasting. If you did change all of the bearings then I would say that the ring and pinion is just worn from all of the miles on it.

Chuck

sorry did not be secific just did bearings on the axles have not done any work on third member is erbuild easy or hard on these things any sug. for rebuilders in east bay, any one have good luck

When you say you changed the bearings did you cange the pinion bearing, especiallly the outer pinion bearing? The outer pinion bearing takes the load when coasting. If you did change all of the bearings then I would say that the ring and pinion is just worn from all of the miles on it.

Chuck

can i do bearings with home tools have large set 500 pieces tool set and am finanicaly motivated = broke also have not done rear end work before but will work for saving my bank roll any sug. on rebuild kits or do you think i should pull apart and inspect not that i know how to inspect gotta jump in at some time [-o<

The outer pinion bearing you can remove to inspect by just taking off the yoke and seal. This is the bearing I suspect is bad. The problem is that to change the race you will need to disassemble the whole third member to drive out the race. In the short term you could just put a new bearing on the old race as long as the race is not pitted. Then you could save your money and do a complete rebuild later.

Chuck

The outer pinion bearing you can remove to inspect by just taking off the yoke and seal. This is the bearing I suspect is bad. The problem is that to change the race you will need to disassemble the whole third member to drive out the race. In the short term you could just put a new bearing on the old race as long as the race is not pitted. Then you could save your money and do a complete rebuild later.

Chuck

thankz for the info chuck i can defintly do that, realy apr. the help i need it,
from the anderson house sey on the road i hope minus the endless hummm huumm humm :happy6:

-
Back