Hurricane Helene

-
Still trying to raise my battle buddy and long time friend, lives near the NC/SC line. Flood map puts his county in the zone. Hoping it’s just a lack of signal/power thing
Finally talked to my buddy and his wife this morning. They’re okay, but in same boat as everyone else, cut off from the world via spotty cell service, no internet, no power, no fuel available. His place his secure and safe so he’s been helping with some of the Cajun navy loading food and water to transport it to the harder hit areas. He’s confirmed some sites we’ve not seen in this country since our unit deployed to Katrina and its aftermath. He says it’s way worse cause unlike Katrina where they could haul stuff in via amphibious vehicles or helicopters, the terrain some of these places are in, even air ops is having trouble finding the little towns.

A lady at work lost her mother that was swept away in the flood waters.
Just heard about this today at work.
Sad thing is she cannot even get the body, until the roads are opened up/repaired.

Local fire department here is doing a drive for water, Clorox, shovels, gloves, diapers etc.
They are even asking for tents, for people who have lost their homes...Think about that for a minute.
Us folks in WV will do what we can to support our fellow Americans.
The fire department is going to drive the supply's directly down there.

We have a friend in Waynesville, NC that is a fireman and he also has a food truck business. We contacted him today to see if we could donate to him. He has been serving up free meals to his community and to the first responders and volunteers in the area. We want to share his information, in case anyone else wants to donate to a cause that is right in the middle of things. This young man is a stand-up guy. Look his food truck business up on facebook. He has posted some videos explaining what he's been doing for his community. This is what his FB page looks like:
Screenshot_20240930_194241_Facebook.jpg

This is the link to donate to his food truck business:
Venmo | Ben hooper

We wish we could do more, but we know first hand, after we dealt with Hurricane Ian 2 years ago, how much a hot meal means after a day of mucking out your house and throwing a lot of your belongings out to the street.

A lady at work lost her mother that was swept away in the flood waters.
Just heard about this today at work.
Sad thing is she cannot even get the body, until the roads are opened up/repaired.

Local fire department here is doing a drive for water, Clorox, shovels, gloves, diapers etc.
They are even asking for tents, for people who have lost their homes...Think about that for a minute.
Us folks in WV will do what we can to support our fellow Americans.
The fire department is going to drive the supply's directly down there.
This gonna be years if not decades to recover everyone’s remains, if ever. Sad realty unfortunately

I've been trying to get a hold of @NCM Mtn. Dweller (Chris). I'm going to try his phone when I get my phone back from repair. He may be at his Mom's in Ga. Franklin was hit pretty hard but I don't know about his Wayah Rd location. From what I've seen, I think his largest issue is lack of communications amd possibly power. Glad to hear @JDMopar is okay. I've been keeping track of what's been posting from survivors, rescuers, and volunteers on Tick-Tok and however bad you think it is, it is so much worse. That whole area is one of my favorite places to go, and it's beyond heartbreaking to see.

Last edited:
We have a friend in Waynesville, NC that is a fireman and he also has a food truck business. We contacted him today to see if we could donate to him. He has been serving up free meals to his community and to the first responders and volunteers in the area. We want to share his information, in case anyone else wants to donate to a cause that is right in the middle of things. This young man is a stand-up guy. Look his food truck business up on facebook. He has posted some videos explaining what he's been doing for his community. This is what his FB page looks like:
View attachment 1716309944

This is the link to donate to his food truck business:
Venmo | Ben hooper

We wish we could do more, but we know first hand, after we dealt with Hurricane Ian 2 years ago, how much a hot meal means after a day of mucking out your house and throwing a lot of your belongings out to the street.
That's actually a good idea post. If members know good relief donations site? Feel free to post. So far I'm only seeing typical Red Cross and national players. More local is welcomed.

I've been trying to get a hold of @NCM Mtn. Dweller (Chris). I'm going to try his phone when I get my phone back from repair. He may be at his Mom's in Ga. Franklin was hit pretty hard but I don't know about his Wayah Rd location. From what I've seen, I think his largest issue is lack of communications amd possibly power. Glad to hear @JDMopar is okay. I've been keeping track of what's been posting from survivors, rescuers, and volunteers on Tick-Tok and however bad you think it is, it is so much worse. That whole area is one of my favorite places to go, and it's beyond heartbreaking to see.
We talked to Chris Camp today. He said he's fine, just no cell service. Had to go into Franklin ro get wifi.

That's actually a good idea post. If members know good relief donations site? Feel free to post. So far I'm only seeing typical Red Cross and national players. More local is welcomed.
I posted a link to Operation Air Drop, it’s the volunteers of private pilots dropping loads to people directly in need vs the fema stock piles the dot gov and alphabet soup agencies are doing. Monies and supplies go directly to the people.

I’m making a run today possibly. Should be interesting

We’ve also got some members in the Greeneville and Chuckey areas of Tennessee. That area was hit hard as well.

Finally heard from my homie in Ft Campbell Ky. Other than 6" of rain during the event they came out good. His place being on a hilltop aided that outcome. Cell service in that area is sketchy to begin with, so I had to be patient.

It is amazing just how Americans step up in times of natural disasters.
Many hundreds of boats hauled to Houston with the Harvey flood. To rescue people. Citizens got it done. I watched from the 5 th floor of a hospital, flood waters 100 years away, waiting to be off generators to get a triple bypass 2017.

Citizens from many counties and states around going to Joplin after a F5 tornado ravaged the city and killed so many.

-
Back