Hurst shifter.

-

circlepilot

Reaction score
I have a Hurst shifter assembly that came with the A833 (flange type out-put shaft 64-66) transmission I bought from a forum member several years ago. It wasn't installed on the transmission but came with the shift rods. The shifter is in good shape physically but lacks a "readable" model number. My parts manual shows that the shifter (2461947) has two "lever stop bolts," 1 front and 1 back. My shifter only has one stop bolt in the front and no place for a bolt on the back. I'm trying to adjust the linkage according to the manual and the 1 & 2nd and the 3 & 4th shift rods (at maximum adjustment) lack about 1/2" in length. The reverse rod fits OK. I know that Hurst shifters were used on a lot of different transmissions. Is this shifter for another model A833? I have another member working with me on my bell housing application, but while waiting for a part I started on the shifter mock up.
Norm

Hurst shifter1.jpg

Hurst Shifter.jpg

cast number trans tail.jpg

cast number trans case.jpg

hurst on trans.jpg

So, you understand the "neutral" position in your manual? And after that the two rods are 1/2" too short? Have you compared the length of your rods with the length of stock replacement rods?

Do tell! And please explain as to where (location, parts manual etc.) I can match these "numbers on the levers" at, for the type shifter and application?

So, you understand the "neutral" position in your manual? And after that the two rods are 1/2" too short? Have you compared the length of your rods with the length of stock replacement rods?
Transmission is in neutral, shift arms properly indexed. Neutral "rig pin" installed. I haven't done any type of comparisons as these are the only rods I have. I'm going to "tweak" the rods a little (bends) that should give me a little more length. I'm beginning to think I may have "non compatible shifter. barbee6043 said that the numbers on the shifter levers will identify the shifter I have. I'm still trying to research them.

Transmission is in neutral, shift arms properly indexed. Neutral "rig pin" installed. I haven't done any type of comparisons as these are the only rods I have. I'm going to "tweak" the rods a little (bends) that should give me a little more length. I'm beginning to think I may have "non compatible shifter. barbee6043 said that the numbers on the shifter levers will identify the shifter I have. I'm still trying to research th
The incorrect shifter mounting plate, probably from a b body, could be the problem. Take the shifter off and post a picture of the aluminum mounting plate.

What mounting pad are you using? What car will this go in? There is an inexpensive plate you can buy from Hurst to add the second stop bolt. Looks like you have late shift rods.

Last edited:
like I said go to Brewers site an see what those numbers on the levers tell YOU!
Those stop bolts in the case are there to he'p with firm positive shifts/ Hurst competition Plus shifters came with such. People have added such also.

He has a 64-65 Original A-Body Hurst shifter. The housing, with the stop bolt has been replaced.

Last edited:
The Shifter Doctor has all of the information that you need. He has been selling and rebuilding Hurst shifters for years. Hurst never actually rebuilt any of their own shifters as they sent them to the Shifter Doctor for repairs and rebuilds.
Browse by Category - Shifter Doc

Looks like a 64-65 shifter plate. What car is it going into? Shift rods look like 68 up so that is probably your problem. I don't know of anyone reproducing 64-65 shift rods.

Looks like a 64-65 shifter plate. What car is it going into? Shift rods look like 68 up so that is probably your problem. I don't know of anyone reproducing 64-65 shift rods.
I got new shift rods for my ‘64 from the Shifter Doctor.

65 Barracuda. I ran it by Brewers and you are right, it is a 64-65 shifter.

??? 68-up A body shift rods are different than 64-5? I have a 69 trans with 65 gears in my 65 Barracuda. I used the same shifter for both trans. Now I admit that by the time I changed trannies, I had installed a Super Shifter (original shift box crapped out at 150K), which has its own unique mounting pad. But I never realized the early shifters were not fully interchangeable with the later ones.

Sometimes one is just lucky.

??? 68-up A body shift rods are different than 64-5? I have a 69 trans with 65 gears in my 65 Barracuda. I used the same shifter for both trans. Now I admit that by the time I changed trannies, I had installed a Super Shifter (original shift box crapped out at 150K), which has its own unique mounting pad. But I never realized the early shifters were not fully interchangeable with the later ones.

Sometimes one is just lucky.
Transmission's are the same, levers on the trans are the same, shifters all are the same, mounting pads are different, rods are different but you can usually use the reverse rod on both.

-
Back