Hurst shifters

-

RAYS 69 MOPAR

Reaction score
hi every one I wanted to know about the throw with the competition plus shifter and the regular shifter is the H pattern tighter on the competition one ???
Q2 will the reg hurst shifter do ok in a street car with. A lil street racing here and there ???? Slamming gears a lil ?

Last edited:
What is a super competition shifter? Never heard of it. There is the Super shifter. And there is a Super Shifter III.

From what I can see, the competition plus shifters are the same (OEM is a competition +), except for the levers, and easily up to the task of power shifting all gears if you are up to the task.

I have had a Hurst Competition Plus shifter in my Dart since it was about 2 years old. I put almost 100,00 miles on the Hurst with only lubing and replacing bushings. Original inland shifter was worn out at about 20,000+ miles. Only thing cool about the Inland shifter was the T lock out for reverse. The Hurst is spring.

I have had a Hurst Competition Plus shifter in my Dart since it was about 2 years old. I put almost 100,00 miles on the Hurst with only lubing and replacing bushings. Original inland shifter was worn out at about 20,000+ miles. Only thing cool about the Inland shifter was the T lock out for reverse. The Hurst is spring.

Unless you can find the Super Shifter III and it had the reverse lock out.

Hell, I'd run a vertigate if I could A) find one cheap enough and 2) not have to cut the hell out of my low 14 second street car.

There are lots of choices for Hurst shifters if you know what and were to look for them . As yellow rose suggested there is the vertigate shifter , this is a straight line shifter , just pull up on the t bar and push forward and you are in first gear pullback and you are in second gear , push forward and you are in third one more pull puts you in 4th gear . Most of these shifters use a bracket to move the shifter up so the linkage is in more of a straight line , but using that bracket requires cutting the floor and trans tunnel . Super shifters with a reverse lock out require you to move a lever to one side to be able to get the shifter into the reverse gear . On the street might not be the best shifter to use , doing this extra step might be problematic in traffic . There is an another shifter that was used in the early Pro Stock cars. The push down shifter , extremely short stick throw , about 3 inches and spring loaded . Pull stick toward you and push forward gets you first gear , pull back toward you and you get 2nd , when you push back to the neutral gate the spring in the shifter pushes it toward the third gear detent in the shifter and one more pull back gets you in 4th . to get into reverse you put stick in neutral and push stick down and over to the left gets you in reverse . when you pull stick out of reverse it pops back up and back to the normal h pattern . I have one of the push down shifters in my 65 AFX Coronet . Again the floor will have to be cut to use the bracket mentioned in this post . it moves the vertigate and the push down shifter up and back in the car toward the driver and also allows the use of much larger shifter rods for less flex when power shifting .

IMG_1671.JPG
IMG_1752.JPG

Here are 2 pics of the push down shifter in the 65 car .note the larger shifter rods and the fact that they are straight for less flex when power shifting . The second pic shows the shifter moved up and back toward the driver with a short 6 inch stick , the throw on shifter is about 3 inches total . I built a large box around the shifter with a removable top to be able to service the shifter . I picked this one up on E-bay . If you are in the market for a Hurst Comp . Plus shifter I have one I bought new , put in the car and took it out when I found this one . it's for sale send me a pm.

IMG_1849.JPG

I've got the Hurst Competition Plus shifter and a B body pistol grip, and I like it a lot. Throw is not too long and it bangs through the gears great.

Any original hurst shifter is going to be looser than the newer ones. Im running a original hurst shifter and box in my demon, theres some slop here and there but no issues going into gear, i do notice every year or so i have to adjust the shift rods on the box slightly

A Competition Plus shifter has adjustable stop bolts that bear against the shifter levers to limit the travel. Other than that and the lever attachment, I don't think there was any other difference with a factory Hurst.

I have a hurst super shifter III, modified the stock push in handle to bolt on.

Hurst Superspeedway billet shifter. Looks like a Competition Plus but billet. I never thought a Competition Plus was all that great. Every one I've used seemed to have too long a travel, and alot of slop side to side when in gear. Maybe the billet vesion is tighter. I'll stick with my Ramrod with shortened shift levers and a 3" throw.

IMG_6099.PNG

the hurst "competition plus" was the "after market" replacement for the OEM factory Hurst shifter chrysler started using in the1969 model year. the "comp plus" shifter had beefier parts than the OEM shifter and had a tighter feel when shifting. it also had a shift fork "throw" adjustment bolt. the "throw" distance is a little shorter than the OEM hurst on the comp plus. the comp plus after market shifter had a larger, heavier shifter handle with approximately the same angle as the OEM handle. the comp plus was the most popular for street racing and will stand up to about any street race abuse possible.

the hurst "super-shifter" is like the comp-plus but it has a shorter throw - by at least 1 inch for 1-4 gears. this shifter also has a straight shift handle instead of the bent OEM/comp plus shifters. the super-shifter was a serious "drag racing" shifter. because of the straight shift handle and the shorter throws, the super-shifter could actually cut quarter mile times for very good 4-speed shifting drag racers.

whatever shifter you use, all of them are only as good as the shifter adjustments, your rod adjustments and how good the trans is. for non-OEM hurst shifters, there are two critical adjustments: FIRST: lining up the shift rod shifter forks. this is done by putting a small bolt or screw-driver across the slot in the bottom of the shifter housing and lining up all the other slots of the shifting forks with that bolt. when all of the forks are lined up, that is your "neutral" position. you then put the first and second transmission shift bolts (the bolts come out of the side of the trans) in "neutral". you put the third bolt (the reverse bolt) in "neutral" (i.e. not in reverse position).

once you have made sure first and second and reverse on the trans are all in neutral, you connect the three shifting rods from the shifter shifting forks to the three shifting bolts on the side of the trans. be careful that the "allignment" bolt on the shiftter holding all three shift forks in one place stays in one place. you adjust the shifting rod threaded end collars so that each rod will connect to the shifter forks and the transmission bolts (remaining in neutral) without either the transmission bolts or the shifter forks moving. the reverse rod is connected the same way - shifter fork alligned and transmission NOT in reverse.

when all the rods are connected, get in and try shifting the shifter. it should shift into all four gears and reverse with little friction. if you find that the shifter is shifting in a "backwards" manner - 1st is where second should be, second is where first should be - you did not have the first/second trans bolt in "neutral" when you connected the rod. take the rod off, put the trans bolt in the correct position and start over.

now to the SECOND shifter adjustment - the bolt sticking out of the front of the shifter housing. that bolt is the "stop" for the shifter when going into each gear. to adjust this bolt, put the shifter in FIRST, then screw the bolt INTO the shifter housing leaving a space between the head of the bolt and the shifting fork. now shift the shifter in and out of FIRST a few times getting a feel on how far the shifter will naturall travel when the trans is shifted into FIRST. when you identify when the shifter "feels" like it is securely in FIRST, unscrew the shifter housing bolt OUT of the housing until it contacts the FIRST gear shifting fork. once this bolt makes contact with the shifting fork, screw it out further LIKE ONE THREAD! - JUST A LITTLE BIT - then tighten the lock nut on the bolt against the shifter housing. then shift through all the other gears and determine if the trans FEELS like it is going all the way in gear for each gear. if it feels right, the throw adjustment bolt is correct. if your trans comes out of gear when driving, this bolt may need to be screwed into the housing a little.

now remember, your shifter is only as good as the trans it's connected to. if you have correctly connected and adjusted the shift rods and the shift throw bolt and the trans does not feel like it is going into gear right - or worse yet, the trans jumps out of gear when you are driving, you may have a synchronizer problem in the trans. if you experience the trans not going into gear or jumping out of gear, adjust the throw bolt as noted above, change the gear oil in the trans and see if this helps. if you've done everything right, changed the gear oil and are still having problems, you've got an internal trans problem.

the above procedure is pretty much the same for every shifter that uses shifting rods on the side of a trans. that was ALL general motors, mopar, ford, American Motors cars and trucks from like the 1920's through the 1980's. "top loader" manual transmissions where the shifter fits down into the top of the trans use an entirely different designed shifter. i do not believe ANY manual transmission car by any manufacturer after about 1995 uses side transmission shifting rods.

the above is "4 speed shifter 101". i hope it helps you or another FABO reader.

Thanks "jimharvard", Some very good information here..
One question I have is that on the OEM Hurst shifter. The reverse shifter fork does not have a alignment hole in it. Is there a "trick" that is used to hold it in the neutral position when adjusting the rods?

Thanks "jimharvard", Some very good information here..
One question I have is that on the OEM Hurst shifter. The reverse shifter fork does not have a alignment hole in it. Is there a "trick" that is used to hold it in the neutral position when adjusting the rods?

i once had a conversation with a fellow street racer about adjusting his OEM shifter and he said he put the shifter on a bench, lined up all three forks and then drilled a small (like 1/8th or smaller) hole through the reverse fork into the next fork. he then put a cotter key or bolt in the hole when he was installing the shifter rods. it sounded like a reasonable "fix" to me...

71 dodge demon340

i went down into my garage where i keep all my parts and two of my barracudas and took some pics.

the shifter on the far right is an original OEM "Inland" "console" shifter used on 67-68 barracudas

the shifter in the middle is the Hurst OEM non-console shifter that replaced the Inland shifter in 69 for A-body mopars.

the shifter on the far left is a Hurst after market "Super Shifter." it has the shifter fork "throw" adjusting bolt.

notice on the middle OEM Hurst that the reverse fork does have an allignment hole in it allowing a bolt to be placed through all three forks for the "neutral" position.

hope these pics help. let me know if you want to see some different views.

DSCN1549.jpg

DSCN1550.jpg

DSCN1551.jpg

DSCN1552.jpg

DSCN1553.jpg

DSCN1554.jpg

Thanks for the pics. I should of been more clear lol, i meant a pic of the stop bolt to limit the throw. Did the oem style use it?

Thanks for the pics. I should of been more clear lol, i meant a pic of the stop bolt to limit the throw. Did the oem style use it?

the stop bolt for the fork throw adjustment is the bolt sticking out of the side of the Super Shifter on the far left. the Hurst Comp Plus shifter also had a similar adjusting bolt. the OEM Hurst shifter (pictured in the middle) did not have an adjusting bolt. the reason why guys bought the Hurst after market shifters (Comp Plus and Super Shifter) was because the after market Hurst shifters added the throw adjusting bolt and were better made (less lateral fork play) than the OEM Hurst shifters.

-
Back