I’m struggling (ign1 ign2 combining)

-

PatrioticMopar

Reaction score
Hey all,

After a separate post, I know I need to combine start and run power into a single wire for my ignition coil. I upgraded from points to an internal module HEI distributor.

I am trying to figure out which wires to combine. I will post a couple photos, if anyone can confirm... i feel like the brown with the eyelet is a run 12v and I just need to figure out what to combine to bypass the resistor.

Thanks again

7E0DE23C-8931-402A-9D94-47F79374693A.jpeg

18D46A6E-410F-4719-BC42-571E39810289.jpeg

06A9DC18-062D-4A0E-B093-2395DBB0B8E9.jpeg

210AA6ED-CA0D-460A-9B0A-971C9D6E9D44.jpeg

you can just unplug them at the resistor and use a jumper wire to connect them.

jumper.jpg

The short answer is you need to post what you are working on, year, make, model, and whether it has factory or factory replacement wiring, or a DIY aftermarket harness

A plug in jumper will work

The short answer is you need to post what you are working on, year, make, model, and whether it has factory or factory replacement wiring, or a DIY aftermarket harness

A plug in jumper will work
Sorry, 1972 Plymouth Duster 318... it is a factory style point harness.

Do you have a coil that is made to run on straight 12v, witch will be 14v when running. With a ballast it's 12v when cranking and about 9v or so when running. If you are still running a stock coil you still need a ballast.

Do you have a coil that is made to run on straight 12v, witch will be 14v when running. With a ballast it's 12v when cranking and about 9v or so when running. If you are still running a stock coil you still need a ballast.
It is an aftermarket coil designed for 12v

To keep the somewhat stock appearance on mine (and to revert back if I ever need to) I took an old ballast resistor and removed the resistor. Then I took some 14 gauge solid from some romex and soldered that to the connectors in the ballast. Looks like it's still there and looks better than a jumper.

A canister coil is inefficient compared to an E or O coil type coil. Lost/wasted spark energy with a can coil. That is why they are not used on modern cars...

-
Back