I am having a lot of trouble picking the paint scheme on my Dart-------->

-

1970dartcustom

of the Moore clan
Reaction score
I really like the blacked out hood with the tail stripe look, but choosing the actual main color is an ongoing daily battle that I have not resolved for months! Anyone feel my pain? Got any cool pics/suggestions?

It seems like one day I am sure I wanna stick with Go Mango, and then the next day I am not digging the orange, and something sorta mellow seems more my speed, like Cream or Light Yellow... Then, the next day I'm looking at Black or Butterscotch. IDK, my wife is getting pretty sick of me talking about it and staring at examples of Darts in different colors.

I guess I'll hafta own a few different old Mo's someday, all painted differently, and just drive the one that matches my mood that day or something... sigh

The pic is of "Daisy" as she sits currently...

daisy pic2.jpg

daisypic.jpg

daisyenginebay.jpg

Last edited:
NOT black.
Check out Moparnutt340 's car. Viper blue. Absolutely beautiful on a dart.

I really like the blacked out hood with the tail stripe look, but choosing the actual main color is an ongoing daily battle that I have not resolved for months! Anyone feel my pain? Got any cool pics/suggestions?

It seems like one day I am sure I wanna stick with Go Mango, and then the next day I am not digging the orange, and something sorta mellow seems more my speed, like Cream or Light Yellow... Then, the next day I'm looking at Black or Butterscotch. IDK, my wife is getting pretty sick of me talking about it and staring at examples of Darts in different colors.

I guess I'll hafta own a few different old Mo's someday, all painted differently, and just drive the one that matches my mood that day or something... sigh

View attachment 1715024658

View attachment 1715024659

View attachment 1715024660

my wife complains about me trying to decide on which shade of green my dart is going with until I politely remind her that she spends hours upon hours in a shoe or clothing store trying to decide on which color she likes and that my paint is a LOT more expensive than her shoes/clothes.

that said, I ran into and am stilling running into that problem, I liked Sassy Grass but too many out there i just dont think it flows for me, I finally, at least so far any way, have settled on a custom mix from my local paint supply store called Jaded. I flipped thru countless color wheels in his shop and even more online, finally he asked me to pick my favorite 2, which took forever to narrow down and he made a mix of something in between and called it Jaded Green. I think it's gonna look great.

So my suggestion is this, go to the car shows, take pics of what colors you like, reason being, sunlight vs computer screen vs shop lights seem to all change the look of the paint slightly, so more than others. Then narrow your choices of color down, then go to the closest auto paint supplier and go thru their wheels, I bet you might just find a custom twist to Go Mango or to a light cream that you wont find as easily going by google.

heres all the 70 dodge colors if you want to keep it a 70 color.. Color Chip Selection

what color is on it now? i think that would really look good with the black out hood treatment and black stripe. be different too.. the high impact colors are way over done these days. the blues and reds are also. i think it would be a lot cooler to see in a color you don't see very often these days..

View attachment 1715024658

View attachment 1715024659

View attachment 1715024660
Great to hear that i am not the only one who mind wrestles myself trying to decide on a color.

The color selection is going to matter so much when you spend hard earned money on paint, because paint takes a lot of it...so you need to be damn sure that you will be happy with the final product.

I have put whole projects on hold before because i couldn't make a decision on the color.

All i can suggest is google search cars like yours and look at similar cars in different colors and see if one sort of grabs you.

I can picture things pretty well, but it takes a lot of second guessing before pulling the trigger.

I have (what I think) is a good plan though. Thier's some pretty good Photoshop guys on here that seem to do it in minutes just to help people out. They also are car guys and know what you're talking about. So when the time comes I'm gonna post up an offer for Photoshop help. I can email them pics of cars, colors, stripes, scoops, wheels, ect. They get to have some fun and make some money, and I get a picture of the car before I make a mistake.

For what it's worth I really like the color on it now.

But, I recommend you actually get the car to point where it's actually ready for paint and then make your decision as opposed to trying to make the decision now. It will be a lot easier. Paint it all the solid colour then if you choose to do a hood treatment you can thereafter. Stripe can be put on anytime if that's what you want.

Just my opinion but unless a car is thoroughly taken apart and stripped/blasted, a color change always looks hokey! Every little scratch under the hood, door jams, trunk etc. and places hard to get to with the gun reveals the original color. This really turns me off even on a driver.

The current color (maybe gold poly?) re-shot in a modern base coat/clear with black accents would be stunning and not something you see every day! If your under hood and trunk clean up nice you might even get away leaving them alone and it wouldn't look like a half-assed color change........

Just my 2c

P.S. Something like this, but I'm not endorsing the scoop, spoiler and wheels.........!

102_0582.jpg

Did you ever think of the new dark bronze colour like on Ram trucks?
This^^^. Looks good with black accent treatments and all the different angles on the side show a different shade. Also being a newer color it should be available for a long time.

There's a guy in town here who has your same dart and its original color repainted and its original color and anyway and it is no less than stunning! I did my duster in The Sassy grass green because it's a lot darker than the sub lime green. It looked like total crap until we did the mat black on the hood, and then it turned out awesome....
There's a lot more people out there with the sub lime green then sassy grass imo...

heres all the 70 dodge colors if you want to keep it a 70 color.. Color Chip Selection

what color is on it now? i think that would really look good with the black out hood treatment and black stripe. be different too.. the high impact colors are way over done these days. the blues and reds are also. i think it would be a lot cooler to see in a color you don't see very often these days..

I believe it is (F)T-6 burnt tan/dark tan poly...

My Dad says he thinks I should just paint it back to original, too. I have a very hard time finding any car that is T-6 to look at online...

Just my opinion but unless a car is thoroughly taken apart and stripped/blasted, a color change always looks hokey! Every little scratch under the hood, door jams, trunk etc. and places hard to get to with the gun reveals the original color. This really turns me off even on a driver.

The current color (maybe gold poly?) re-shot in a modern base coat/clear with black accents would be stunning and not something you see every day! If your under hood and trunk clean up nice you might even get away leaving them alone and it wouldn't look like a half-assed color change........

Just my 2c

P.S. Something like this, but I'm not endorsing the scoop, spoiler and wheels.........!

View attachment 1715024752
Very true, except I have a plum crazy door and a yellow hood! So, those may show with scratches, even if I go original. But, I have definitely thought some on going original on it: T-6 is a very hard color to find online to look at on a Dart, or any other color on that wise...

-
Back