I bought the wrong transmission for my 66.

-

jpl572103

Reaction score
Last week I bought an 833 A body transmission 2.66 1st gear, rebuilt by Herb McCandless so I was told, the unit looks fantastic.
Turns out my 66 Dart has an 833od truck transmission? The tailshaft is longer. Has 2 mounting pads for the shifter and is currently using the front mounting pad. The rear pad doesn't even have holes or threads in it. Of course at this point that doesn't matter. Is what I have a truck trans? Did someone do the conversion with a truck transmission? why?

I think if I get a B/E 833 all should be good if I use the front mounting pad for my hurst. Is the B/E 833 the same as a truck 833?

If I install the McCandless A body trans, I will have to cut metal out of the tunnel, modify, not a big deal, have plenty of flex tape,sheet metal,etc. Looks like the shifter will just touch the bench seat if I do this. Looks like an 8 inch difference from A body mounting pad to what I currently have on my OD trans.

The A body transmission would move the shifter towards the back of the car. I always thought the shifter's current position was wanky the way it sits forward.

Also will need proper shift rods for A body. Get the 4.354 to 5.125 bearing retainer. Maybe I should just , no not yet, I was gonna say convert the whole thing to a v8 and just do it like I want it.

Icing on the cake is my $400 driveshaft would now be too short. damn. The trans I have is def a 833od, has aluminum body, and if it is a B/E then maybe I can just locate a good B/E non OD and sell this A body and call it a day. I would gladly like to have someone steer me in the right direction. Thank you.

These are the regular A833 I want to install.

image2.jpeg

image3.jpeg

image4.jpeg

image12.jpeg

image13.jpeg

I would run the ball and trunion 64-65 4 speed with the 3.09 first everything else is weak in the first gear department

Seems like you trans is out of an F body or pickup.
A short tail shaft A833 is correct for the Dart. Yep like you know, shorter than that OD trans, thus tail shaft issue.
Question? Is the bolt pattern on the OD bell the same as needed for the A833 trans? Check!!
Also check the input shaft cover in the A833, it should be smaller than the OD unit. Issue again.

B & T suck. You ain't gonna hurt any trans with a slant.

So then, the car is set up for the truck transmission totally and that's what you want to leave in there. Is that right? Does your car have the correct four speed hump with the floor hole in the correct A body location? You know, I think if it was me, I would use that McCandless A body transmission. That would require a longer drive shaft though.

Seems like you trans is out of an F body or pickup.
A short tail shaft A833 is correct for the Dart. Yep like you know, shorter than that OD trans, thus tail shaft issue.
Question? Is the bolt pattern on the OD bell the same as needed for the A833 trans? Check!!
Also check the input shaft cover in the A833, it should be smaller than the OD unit. Issue again.

B & T suck. You ain't gonna hurt any trans with a slant.
I was under the impression that a833 bolt patterns were the same at the bell. What is the input shaft cover?

So then, the car is set up for the truck transmission totally and that's what you want to leave in there. Is that right? Does your car have the correct four speed hump with the floor hole in the correct A body location? You know, I think if it was me, I would use that McCandless A body transmission. That would require a longer drive shaft though.
Well I want to remove the OD trans because it needs work done to it and I don't care for the 309 1st gear with my slant. So I picked up the McCandless trans thinking it would be an almost bolt in, except for the bearing retainer and shift rods of course. Yes if I do install this, would mean more downtime, another driveshaft, although they could reuse the ends.

Well I want to remove the OD trans because it needs work done to it and I don't care for the 309 1st gear with my slant. So I picked up the McCandless trans thinking it would be an almost bolt in, except for the bearing retainer and shift rods of course. Yes if I do install this, would mean more downtime, another driveshaft, although they could reuse the ends.
Heck, I wouldda thought the 3.09 low gear wouldda benefitted a slant 6. Are you saying it's too low?

Heck, I wouldda thought the 3.09 low gear wouldda benefitted a slant 6. Are you saying it's too low?
I feel it is. I had a perfectly good 7 1/4 2.9ish gear but was afraid I was going to break it. So installed a 8 3/4 3.55 gear and here I am.

Bearing retainer is what I was trying to say! the 833 OD has a larger bearing retainer the the regular A833.
Right! Believe my OD has 5.125 308 bearing and the McCandless has the 4.354 307 bearing. Brewers has the 5.125 retainer for the 307, but they haven't sent me a bill or way to pay yet. But that's a good thing considering what I just learned today. Right now I need to figure out the most cost effective way to solve my problem.

Right! Believe my OD has 5.125 308 bearing and the McCandless has the 4.354 307 bearing. Brewers has the 5.125 retainer for the 307, but they haven't sent me a bill or way to pay yet. But that's a good thing considering what I just learned today. Right now I need to figure out the most cost effective way to solve my problem.
So just to get it clear in my mind......your "problem" is that the truck transmission you have needs some work. Is that the main thing, or is it that you cannot put up with the 3.09 1st gear?

If you can get a 5.125 retainer to bolt to your A833 4 speed and fix that issue, then it is a matter of correct shifter linkage for that shorter trans and cutting the DS down shorter. IF the A833 will bolt up to that OD bell!!!
This is almost as bad as working on a Ford where they changed parts 3 times during one year!

So just to get it clear in my mind......your "problem" is that the truck transmission you have needs some work. Is that the main thing, or is it that you cannot put up with the 3.09 1st
Yes, needs work, 3/4 problem, will need rebuilt, maybe more due to the metal,noise. I'm just not happy with the gear ratios. It was kind of doggish with the 2.92 7 1/4 in 2nd and 3rd, it's better with the 3.55 but now the 3.09 is a bit low. The main problem is this box needs fixed or replaced. I thought I was on the right track when I purchased the A body 833 last weekend. Always a solution right?

Yes, needs work, 3/4 problem, will need rebuilt, maybe more due to the metal,noise. I'm just not happy with the gear ratios. It was kind of doggish with the 2.92 7 1/4 in 2nd and 3rd, it's better with the 3.55 but now the 3.09 is a bit low. The main problem is this box needs fixed or replaced. I thought I was on the right track when I purchased the A body 833 last weekend. Always a solution right?
Understood. I was asking because I have an extremely low mileage truck A833OD I will not be using.

-
Back