I Broke The Valiant

-
Keith,it will be agood feeling knowing you have alot of newer parts,kinda takes the edge off while racing with the 4 speed!Good Luck at the track!I say low 13,s!

Sorry to hear you hurt her a little... But at least it was at your hands and you were enjoying it. A risk we all take when we hammer on them. Hope you do well at the track!

BTW: Good idea John on the dash reverse light. I have one sitting on the shelf in the garage. Maybe this weekend's mini-project.

Sorry about the myriad of damage caused. Best things are that no one was hurt (other than pride) and you didn't stuff the car into the building. (That was close, whew!) It'll live to run another day.

Well, drive shaft was tweaked a little and they fixed that, installed new bolts and straps and the vibration seems to be gone, also had Mike fix and reinforce the snubber. On my way to the track for some 1/4 mile action, hopefully it holds up and doesn't break, maybe even get a good time running the drag radials!!

So, wish me luck, cross your fingers, or say a prayer for me and my car!! :cheers:
Fingers are crossed and hoping to hear everything will go good.:cheers:

Here here to your friend Mike Babyblu66 :cheers:
Every one need's a Mike around now and then 8) :-D

Well.........I raced the Valiant and it didn't break! :cheers: The car made the 120 mile round trip to the track at 70 mph with no problems, ran good at the track too except I ran it like a wuss. I was a nervous wreck about it breaking again so I would launch the car off the line around 2,000 rpm and was only shifting around 5,500-6,000 grand. My quickest time was 13.59 at 103 mph, I know the car has a lot more in it, again, I was babying the car, just happy it worked and ran after all the crap that went wrong less than 5 days ago!

The reason for the 6 grand shifting was because that was the pill I had in the MSD box for the revlimiter and my vintage tach doesn't work with the new ignition. Later on, I switched the 7 grand pill in, Mike adjusted the snubber up (had wheel hop) and I shifted by ear, lowered the drag radials to 18 psi, and launced it a little harder. No wheel hop this time and the car launced sweet but I was spinning the tires yet. I was only doing a small burnout out of the box so that was my problem with the tires spinning, they were also spinning into 2nd and 3rd gear, next time I need to fry those babies!

I have more faith in the car now since it broke, next time I will heat the tires up, launch the thing harder, get a new tach so it will work with the MSD so I can shift the thing higher, then my times will get better. It is tricky with the 4-speed, I still need to get the hang of it! Maybe I should make it easy and install an automatic trans with easy shifts.........nah, don't think so!! :toothy10:

:cheers::cheers: SOunds good Keith!! Glad to hear it made the trip without any more breaks. Why won't the tach read? Do you need the tach adapter?

Mikes Coronet ran awesome, his best time in it was a 13.0 on bald street radials, I am sure he will chime in with his times. I also met a young guy with a 67-68 Valiant 2 door sedan that he bought a couple days ago, very clean rust free 60,000 mile car. I told him about FABO, he said he will check it out today!!! Also met a guy running a 70 Dart with a 416 and a 4-speed, his first time racing it and he was running 12.80's easy, had lots of wheel spin.

:cheers::cheers: SOunds good Keith!! Glad to hear it made the trip without any more breaks. Why won't the tach read? Do you need the tach adapter?

I have a vintage Sun tach from the 1960's, just won't read at high rpm's, it actually the needle goes the oppisite way the higher you rev it, works well at low rpms. Mike has the same tach and MSD, his does the same thing too. I was told MSD may have a filter that will allow the tach to work, otherwise I need to have the tach or circits rebuilt or updated and it will work.

I have a vintage Sun tach from the 1960's, just won't read at high rpm's, it actually the needle goes the oppisite way the higher you rev it, works well at low rpms. Mike has the same tach and MSD, his does the same thing too. I was told MSD may have a filter that will allow the tach to work, otherwise I need to have the tach or circits rebuilt or updated and it will work.

The high primary voltage of capacitive discharge boxes cause problems with tachs. MSD does sell a tach adapter and my Mallory box has a special "tach output" lug built into it. That's why I like Mallorys, no mucking around with chips and everything is built in.

Glad to hear you had fun and I can't wait to hear of your next trip to the strip. 13.59 is no slouch either. :cheers:

Call MSD. I had to use an inline resistor on an original tach in a 69 camaro to work with the MSD. I also have a customer with a 68 charger with a factory tick-tach clock and we used a MSD tach adapter. MSD has proprietary signals and will tell you what you need on a case by case basis.

Mikes Coronet ran awesome, his best time in it was a 13.0 on bald street radials, I am sure he will chime in with his times. I also met a young guy with a 67-68 Valiant 2 door sedan that he bought a couple days ago, very clean rust free 60,000 mile car. I told him about FABO, he said he will check it out today!!! Also met a guy running a 70 Dart with a 416 and a 4-speed, his first time racing it and he was running 12.80's easy, had lots of wheel spin.

I will be one to say never put down a tunnel ram. There was some discussion on here before. At 13.02 and 106.5mph I gained almost half a second and 4 mph by installing the tunnel ram, rejetting and tweaking the timing. AND I didn't have on my sticky tires like I did when I got my best of 13.48 before with the low dual plane dual quad intake.
I was very surprised and happy with the performance, considering its a heavy car, 3.23's, shitty tires, stock converter, and a cam with only [email protected]!
I noticed my trans was having very sluggish 1st to 2nd shifts as well. Its not long for this world I fear.
Glad Keith's car worked good too!

Hey Keith,I no all about the worrysome launches with the 4 speed.LOL.I,ve also really had to heat up the M/T street radials.I also have 26 inch M/T slicks,they hook better.I tried launching going up 1000 rpm each time.Just can,t seem to get under 1.8 60 ft.Good Luck with your next attempt!

Well Keith... I guess I can say.. at least you didnt drive the thing backwards through the dang wall !! .... Uhhhg.... what can be said. We play hard we pay hard. Unfortunate circumstance. Glad it isnt any worse. I have my motor chained down to the K-member on each side.... better safe then sorry.

-RPM

-
Back