i dropped my motor...

-

steve-o

Reaction score
i was working on my motor the other day putting the water pump on and when i was done went to roll the motor back to its home in the corner. well the wheel caught a crack and the whole thing went tumbling down. i didn't have my engine hoist at the shop that day so i was forced to get a bunch of my buddies from neighboring shops to lend a hand. after many laughs at my expense we righted the motor and inspected the damage. damage report as follows. shattered fuel pump, bent crank pulley, bruised ego. that is all. i lucked out on that one. ive moved plenty of motors around on that stand and never had an issue. guess i gotta be more careful...:sign3:

Damage could have been alot worse consider yourself lucky there was no damage to you.

Glad you weren't hurt.

I had a similar experience about 15 years ago will moving a 383. Besides the damage to the front of the engine, I also had a cracked bolt flange on the intake manifold, and a bend distributor.

By the end of the week, I was able to retro fit my engine stand with four pneumatic tires similar to those on hand trucks. To date, no further problems. :thumbup:

I had that problem with a 3 wheel engine stand. Tossed that and bought a new 4 wheel from Harbor Freight. I was also worried about how stable that was so got rid of that a bought one that the front wheels were as far apart as the rear wheels. Now I no longer have any worries.

My son pulled a big block using his wrecker, without warning the boom decided to retract so the motor ended up smacking the wheel lift. Things looked ok but when he put the motor into his truck it vibrated pretty bad. Turned out he had broke a main cap. Hope you don't have any internal damage like that.

glad you are OK. If it is a 3 wheel stand, make a "T" to fit in the end where the single wheel is so it is a 5 wheel. I did that with mine years ago. If I need to, I can slip the T out and make it into a 3 wheel again to fit into tight places (too much junk on the floor sometimes)

I was at MAS Racing one day. A guy came in to see his built, chromed and balanced Corvette motor. The guy wheeled it in on an engine stand but forgot to put the pin in. It hit the edge of the door base and the stand stopped but the motor slid right out and dropped straight onto the oil pan. The guy just looked at it and said call me when it's done and walked out the door.

I was at MAS Racing one day. A guy came in to see his built, chromed and balanced Corvette motor. The guy wheeled it in on an engine stand but forgot to put the pin in. It hit the edge of the door base and the stand stopped but the motor slid right out and dropped straight onto the oil pan. The guy just looked at it and said call me when it's done and walked out the door.
One of lifes more classic moments....

if you bent the crank pully, i would have the crank pulled out and checked for straightness. !

I did the same thing once with a 3-leg stand. Man, Olds 455's are heavy. I was 18, and reflexes worked way faster than my brain (they still do lol) and I tried to catch it. I stopped it from hitting the ground, but it was tilted on to my leg. I stood there, straining and hurting, yelling for my dad to come help me. He came around the corner, didn't see me holding the engine, and yelled at me for my tone of voice, saying "you need to drop your f&#*ing attitude and stop yelling." Then he saw the engine on my leg and stopped yelling lol. I went and bought a nice fold up engine stand after that.

well i am very glad i am not the only one who have had these problems. i couldn't even look at the motor after we got it back up. i had to have a friend look at it. i thought i sheared the ear for the motor mount. i am definitely concerned about the crank. the fuel pump took most of the damage. the pulley was just bent a little bit. could probably still use it but i have another one from a 360 i have laying around. im gonna drop the motor in and cross my fingers. wish me luck!

Man, at least your ok.the last couple of weeks sure have had some strange engine stand and hoist threads.

My friend dropped one off a cherry picker once. We were guiding it out of his 68 Cuda fastback and the front wheel (we were pulling it back) caught the edge of the asphalt so he starts to pull it side to side to free the wheel. Well the motor starts swinging and before we both know it, the picker is toppling over, engine first. Lucky for me (it was my motor) the motor lands pan down in the grass and only crushes my pan (didnt fit my chassis anyway) about 3 inches. We both shake it off and get it back on a stand to survey the damage. totally cleared the fender of the Cuda, cleared the bumper, didnt touch the car. Took the pan off and the only thing I noticed was the oil pickup had rotated up and touched the crank. didnt even put a ding in the suction foot so we got off light. Scary! I like it when you pull the pin and the motor does a 180 heads down before you know it and it doesnt break the bolts. Older guy had a huge stand that had a crank on it and a restored 1935 Cady V16 on it, 452 cid work of art.

-
Back