I either need a different welding helmet, or I need to stop breathing.

-

ProjectBazza

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
So I now have 100 amp worth of 240 VAC power down in the shed, and since the car is "out", I thought I'd try it out and weld-up the mulching deck on my JD. If any of you have an L series mower with a 42" deck, you may be familiar with this:
IMG_4698.JPG

(LOL! And if not:
Yoda_you_will_be.jpg
)

Anywhoooooo, I have a Lincoln ProMig 180 that came with an auto-darkening helmet as part of the package, and I forgot how much I hate that damn helmet! With almost every breathe I take (now I have Sting in my head), the damn thing fogs up inside, and I have to lift it up and let it clear, and then hold my breath while trying to make a pass.

So, are any of you familiar with with this, and/or can make a suggestion as to what to do/what to buy (other than holding my breath)? I don't know if it's me, or the stupid helmet.

IMG_4702.JPG

IMG_4703.JPG

Thanks!

Jim

Get some RainX Anti Fog and polish the inside of the lens.

Not sure what the Amazon logo is for (if it's a link it doesn't work on my end), but I never thought of using Rain-X. I'll pick some up tomorrow and give a try!

I use a small blower fan pointed at the back of my head too.

I tried that (sorta), but the only fan I have is so large it kept blowing the shield gas away. But I didn't try the "pursing the lips" idea, and I'll give it a whirl, thanks!

Not sure what the Amazon logo is for (if it's a link it doesn't work on my end), but I never thought of using Rain-X. I'll pick some up tomorrow and give a try!

I tried that (sorta), but the only fan I have is so large it kept blowing the shield gas away. But I didn't try the "pursing the lips" idea, and I'll give it a whirl, thanks!
You want the RainX Anti Fog, not the regular RainX

It's probably a combo of your humidity and temperature. Lemme guess, you've got fog in the mornings?
Anywho, here's what I use and it never fogs up. I also wouldn't trust it with anything more than TIG as the best "dust mask" style respirators don't protect you enough. Outdoors should be fine and fits behind most helmets.
Amazon product ASIN B000FTEDMM
Hmm guess it doesn't like my link

mask.jpg

Yea, I know and it works. But for what type welding I do not know. My brother has been a welder for his whole life and he still does that. He did work on ships years ago so I guess it works?

As a professional welder here is a possibility of what is wrong.
Where the head gear meets the helmet there is typically one side or possibly both an adjustment. There are like 4 tiny holes a tab that rotates and has a small pin on that tab that drops into. It sets how far the helmet sits from your face. Go max adjustment. It may just be too close to your nose. One helmet I had to drill a few more holes to get it furthest back. Chinese helmets sometimes use a part that has the holes separate from the tab and they rotate independently. But not allways the right direction. All the free helmets are typically Chinese now. Let us know how you do BEFORE you spit on your lenses. Leave that to scuba people. LMAO on that one.
Syleng1

I used to have cheapo auto-darkening helmet & never had that problem. As a matter of fact, I have never had that problem with any welding helmet in over 35 years (No professional by any means) of welding, but now that I've said I never had that problem, I probably will, but the Rain-X anti fog sounds like a great idea.

The helmet in the pic has a long lower section. Great for keeping UV off your neck, but likely adds to the fogging problem. Maybe get a shorter one or cut about 2” off the bottom.

Where the head gear meets the helmet there is typically one side or possibly both an adjustment. There are like 4 tiny holes a tab that rotates and has a small pin on that tab that drops into. It sets how far the helmet sits from your face. Go max adjustment. It may just be too close to your nose. One helmet I had to drill a few more holes to get it furthest back. Chinese helmets sometimes use a part that has the holes separate from the tab and they rotate independently. But not allways the right direction

I don't recall playing with any of the settings on the helmet when I first got it, other than the adjustment on the rear that makes it fit my head, and I never considered there may be a "fore and aft" adjustment.

As you can see I still have the Manual that came with it, and tonight I'll have a look-see at both- the helmet as well as the Manual.

Thank you!

The helmet in the pic has a long lower section. Great for keeping UV off your neck, but likely adds to the fogging problem. Maybe get a shorter one or cut about 2” off the bottom.

If/when all else fails, I may just do that, depending on the helmets I see on the interwebs and how they are configured down there. After all, I can always put-on a neck protector/dickey of some sort each time I weld.

Thanks!

If all else fails, go to the sporting goods store and buy a snorkel to wear while you use it.....lol. I have a cheaper auto darken helmet too. The auto darken part works great and I have no issues with fogging. My biggest problem is glare on the backside of the lens from the overhead lights shining into the helmet from behind while I'm welding.

-
Back