I hate BMW’s

-

TrailBeast

AKA Mopars4us on Youtube
Reaction score
Gotta take this off, so I can remove that, and be able to fix something that is actually the problem.

That and it seems like every fastener takes a different tool.

Good machines if you don’t have to work on em.

Aluminum fasteners, external torx, oil leaks, brittle plastic clips… always a fun time. And still the BMW straight 6 with a manual transmission almost makes up for the pain. I’ve often wondered how had it would be to swap a BMW drivetrain into an A body.

i can relate...

dmQw1QPl.jpg

Try a Volkswagen the whole front including the radiator intercooler trans cooler need to come off to access anything below 2 inches from the top of the motor at the front, the inner guard liner needs to come out to change the serpentine belt

Is that a 2002? Please do not ever mention to Laura you have one of those. She’ll make me buy it.
hahaha! nah, it's a E3 Bavaria. So it's like the big brother to 2002, or the four door saloon version of a E9

n6hcAdxl.jpg

(don't worry it's getting an LS swap)

I love BMW’s, but we just lease them instead of buying them. We leased this X1 m35i in February.
IMG_2144.jpeg

Last edited:
Aluminum fasteners, external torx, oil leaks, brittle plastic clips… always a fun time. And still the BMW straight 6 with a manual transmission almost makes up for the pain. I’ve often wondered how had it would be to swap a BMW drivetrain into an A body.

We had a 325i convertible that I wanted to swap a small block with a 5 speed into, with side pipes, roll bar, flared fenders and big ol wide tires and a blower sticking out of the hood.
Wife wouldn’t let me dangit.

Just got thru replacing the split rad expansion tank, lotsa online info on how bad they are.
Brittle clips, snap together all break.
To replace tank you have to, repeat, have to break the thermostat housing at the bottom.
Tank and housing $400 +.
Putting the broken **** in the trunk, there's another old broken tank and thermostat housing from the previous owner.
BMW Quality my *** .

Last edited:
Heavy use of Torx bolts is annoying too ....not sure about BMW but my 19 Mercedes coupe even has a T40 torx for the oil drain plug and seems like every bolt in there is torx. Annoying-much because if they strip out, your're screwed because heads are rounded. The only good thing is I got it almost new so I am the first and only person working on it.

it also takes 9 and a half quarts ...WTH

BMW: Buy More Wrenches

Here is one of my BMW vehicles.
1998 Z3 M Roadster
Absolutely reliable and trouble free.

IMG_20201117_170542624.jpg

Also, I have a 2004 X5 with the 4.4 liter DOHC 32 valve V8. It's a panzer. No issues yet, but eventually I'll have to replace the valve stem seals. I'll need an expensive, special tool kit to replace them in situ; and around 24 hours of labor. My labor time is free.

IMG_20201109_182542727.jpg

You’re not on the hook for any repairs or maintenance and get a new car every three years.
And you always have payments, here in Missouri you still have to pay sales tax, personal property tax and put down as much as 10k so I don't see any advantage. I don't like having payments all the time

BMW = Bring Mechanic With you.
Nothing against my FABO buddies who own and like BMWs, but I have known a LOT of people who have had a lot of trouble with theirs, and it is expensive!

2014 X3 M Sport with the twin turbo 3 liter I-6. Variable cam timing and variable valve lift. An absolute screamer.

IMG_20200618_200331490.jpg
IMG_20200618_200316847.jpg

I sold it and bought this (first new car purchase in more than 30 years) for my wife:

IMG_20200620_185137493.jpg

She loves it.

You’re not on the hook for any repairs or maintenance and get a new car every three years.
Sorry, but another negative thing about leasing is that your responsible for any exterior or interior repairs and also if the car has had tires put on it they have to be what the car came new with. I know these things as I've talked to people who have leased a Car, I've talked to both a car dealership and the local dmv.

Sorry, but another negative thing about leasing is that your responsible for any exterior or interior repairs and also if the car has had tires put on it they have to be what the car came new with. I know these things as I've talked to people who have leased a Car, I've talked to both a car dealership and the local dmv.
And GAP insurance is advisable.

BMW = Bring Mechanic With you.
Nothing against my FABO buddies who own and like BMWs, but I have known a LOT of people who have had a lot of trouble with theirs, and it is expensive!
It's the same thing with a jeep, just empty every pocket

-
Back