I Hate the DMV.

-

Toluene56

Reaction score
I hate the DMV... No.. I LOATHE the DMV. All their rules and fee's and fine's is all just bullsh!t.

Last year I got my '73 dart registered. It's bad enough that I still have to pass emissions for a '73, but when I go to the DMV to get the vin inspection for a new title they wrote the incorrect vin down. They put and 8 instead of a B. SO I end up going through all this paperwork with 2 different vins and it registers without a hiccup.

Suddenly in the beginning of this year, they try to send me a $250 fine for not having insurance on a registered vehicle. BUT wait a damn minute, I've been paying insurance for a year and the car hasn't even been running for 5 months. So that is how I found out that they screwed up my vin on my title and registration. I was paying insurance and the insurance company had the correct vin, while the DMV screwed up and sent me a title with the incorrect vin. Now I get to finally fix it.

But no-one will smog my vehicle to re-register it because the vin doesn't match the registration. So now I get to attempt to smog it with the real vin, then end up going to the vin inspection station so they can give the DAMN paperwork that they F*CKED up on to begin with so I can register and get the right DAMN title. I'm pissed....

sorry..
/endrant

Been there , done that . Try it with a 40 Plymouth sometime . Vin is inside the passenger door jamb . Highway Patrrol called me a car thief because the V.I.N. wasn't on the dash . MORONS !!!

but hey, I put the engine back in and tuned it by ear and sniffer.. smog lady hooked it up to the test analyzer and it will pass easily. LOL.. still hate the DMV.

Man, I know how you feel. I lost the title for my 4Runner in our house fire (all the other titles survived).

Went down to the DMV...... I just needed a replacement title. The rig was in my name, didn't need any changes......

$77 damn dollars. I almost crapped my pants.

$77 and 4-6 weeks, I should say. If I'm paying $77 for a replacement piece of paper I want it here yesterday.

Man, I know how you feel. I lost the title for my 4Runner in our house fire (all the other titles survived).

Went down to the DMV...... I just needed a replacement title. The rig was in my name, didn't need any changes......

$77 and 4-6 weeks, I should say. If I'm paying $77 for a replacement piece of paper I want it here yesterday.
77 for a paper wow i think are cheaper here i dont remember

yeah not that expensive here... but they best not expect me to pay for it. they screwed up to begin with, I shouldn't have to pay for their mistake.

Well there's your problem, it read Reno on your location.... Sorry I could not resist..... Spend 25 years in Southern Califoronia, I feel your pain.... Living in Va. no taxes on my 64, and the insurance is very low.

Bear

Thank God we have the gubment to take care of stuff for us, eh? LOL :violent1:

Been there , done that . Try it with a 40 Plymouth sometime . Vin is inside the passenger door jamb . Highway Patrrol called me a car thief because the V.I.N. wasn't on the dash . MORONS !!!

Vin on the early Ramchargers is in the same place too, and it's not stamped steel, it's a printed sticker.

Please don't take this the wrong way. This is for anyone that deals with these folks.

You should look at the paperwork before ever stepping away from the counter. Verify your name, address, vin, plate on your paperwork. Have your vin written down so it's handy if you can't remember the numbers. I've seen recently, the DMV here puts printed paper in front of you to verify things before moving on, unfortunately it's usually to verify your address.

As you found, it's very easy for someone to read a B as an 8 or vice versa.

I write my 8's like a snowman, two o's stacked. Had the dmv person put the number in as a zero.... WTF... Don't ask me how, she did it.

Hope you get it squared away.

Yeah. I specifically remember telling then the first time that it was a b he argued with me. And he was the supervisor so they put everything else through so easily I thought maybe I was wrong. Now I know I have to treat them like a bunch of sixth graders and double check everything they put my way.

On cars of that vintage some states used the # stamped on the engine for the V.I.N. which is different from the # on the firewall tag which is also different from the tag on the door jam.
@Toluene56: Never walk out of the DMV or insurance agency without making sure the paperwork they give you is in correct, mistakes happen and unfortunatly when dealing with the state or other govt agency its not thier problem. Also bring a pencil rubbing of the V.I.N. with you, that way you have proof of the actual number on the car.

On cars of that vintage some states used the # stamped on the engine for the V.I.N. which is different from the # on the firewall tag which is also different from the tag on the door jam.
@Toluene56: Never walk out of the DMV or insurance agency without making sure the paperwork they give you is in correct, mistakes happen and unfortunatly when dealing with the state or other govt agency its not thier problem. Also bring a pencil rubbing of the V.I.N. with you, that way you have proof of the actual number on the car.

Yeah they did the VIN inspection with paperwork. Insurance was correct the first time. It's all good I'm going to fix all this crap tomorrow hopefully.

yea....CA DMV and registration fees are crazy here...188 dollars o register my 77 chevy pickup...really? 188 bucks? thats new car territory..

I am amazed.. they did the right thing. Fixed my title issue, Registered the car and fixed the insurance screw up. All it cost me was 20 for smog and 61 for registration.

Dang, that's crazy. 188 bucks? I thought I was being ripped off for 216 to register my 96 caprice for the first time. No idea what it cost for the cuda though. When I was thinking about reregistering to my name in April it would have cost 150. 75 for the reregistering, 75 for the next year. I was like bullshit I'm going to pay that. I already have to pay 75 for April 11-July 11, I didn't renew it after july 10, I just stopped driving it, then another 75 for July 11 to July 12. Either way I'll be paying 150 it'll just be split up. So it's still registered as my dad and me being the owners instead of just me. That's just stupid. And now that it's already registered, if I try to do it this time it'll be the same. 75 to reregister it, then i pay another 75 so that instead of July it'll be moved back to september. EXCUSE ME I ALREADY OWN THE DAMN CAR AND IT'S REGISTERED AND DRIVEABLE I SHOULD NOT HAVE TO PAY 150 JUST TO MOVE THE REGISTRATION PERIOD, when i don't even want it moved, BACK AND TAKE MY DAD'S NAME OFF THE TITLE!

You think that amount is bad? Just wait until the dmv is privatised and then they can charge whatever the hell they feel like. That fee would likely be double.

Come on down to Florida !!When they start running a VIN #,they tell me I don't have enough #'s in it ! I had to have a City Cop come to my house and verify the VIN number in the windshield !! It's hard to tell them they didn't have as many #' back then,but you would would think that they should know it considering it's their job,DUH !!'75 D200 Crew Cab Dodge truck,had to get the VIN # off the chassis !!Poor tag office lady,I offered to get down on the ground and read it for her,but no, she had to see it herself !!Gotta love the govt BS !!!

Woah thats insane!

yeah the registration fees on my '06 dodge ram is $256 and I have to register every year. Tis Bullllshit.

I win. $866 for my motorhome. I wish they would at least kiss me first. I feel your pain the DMV here in Ca is soo stupid its no wonder the state is broke.

-
Back