I have a 1965 barracuda it had a transmission with 2 cables and a floor shifter . I changed the transmission to a newer one , what can i do ?

-

kkb

Reaction score
I have a 1965 barracuda floor shifter with 2 cables I switched to a newer tranny . Can I still use the floor shifter ? Does anyone have the conversion?

Welcome to FABO. Wow, you are in the wrong place. I'll move this thread to the transmissions forum.

You are going to have to go with some sort of aftermarket shifter unfortunately and mod the NSS wiring also think it is on the shifter.

I have a 1965 barracuda floor shifter with 2 cables I switched to a newer tranny . Can I still use the floor shifter ? Does anyone have the conversion?

The factory floor shifter was designed to use both cables - one for Park one for everything else and won’t function with a 66-newer transmission.

Imperial Services (no longer in business) used to offer a conversion to use the later transmission with the stock floor shifter.

I never know what someones budget is so you have many choose from as far as aftermarket shifters.
Most range in the $200 to $400 . Last one I did was a TCI in my 63 with a 70 transmission.Cost was around $180 and works well.They as in most all aftermarket shifters are 1 cable operation.

'66 and up consoles don't fit between '65 and earlier seats, that's why the factory narrowed the seats in '66.
OP, use the search feature, there's lots of threads on here about adapting aftermatket shifters into the '65 console, especially the Hurst Pro-Matic which looks basically stock.
Here's some to get you going:
64 65 Dart shifter console. What shifter?
904 in 1965 Barracuda

Get a console with floor shifter from a 66 and up car. Aftermarket shifters are tacky
If the OP still has his 65 seats, the 66-up console may not fit between the wide 65-earlier buckets. In 66 to go with the new console, the A body got much narrower seats

I have a 65 factory console and shifter in my 65 cornet sw. I have a 71 trans in it. We had to modify the shifter lever 4 times before we got it to work. We mover shifter cable hole closer to valve body part that sticks out of trans. I am also going to put a 65 shifter in my 71 dart. I have and extra rooster comb that will probably get welded in the 65 shifter. My wagon shifter has also been made reverse pattern shift.

You can use the original shifter [ shift knob is a black ball with s/s inserts { buttons } each side, right? ].

I have done it. I always liked the knife/through/butter feel of that shifter. I used that early cable shifter on TWO cars that had the later linkage shift.
It requires some creativity & if that is not your forte, another solution might be better.

-
Back