I have an unnatural interest in the /6

-
That's crazy....you'd think for free someone would have took it....

Jeff
It's unfortunate, but that's the problem, if nobody local has need or interest. I've driven a long way twice to pick up a couple 170 slantys, but 4-5hrs out is the max, and there are
a few members w/one contemplating what to do w/theirs. But just too far away, unless they were trekking to Columbus for a meet, and planned on trucking/trailering up items incl.
the 170. My local mopar yard-guy can get me decent freight$, but within a 3-state radius you're still talking $200-$350, plus whatever asking price if any. Most won't be bothered.

I to have a love for the online sixes. Mine started from loving supra and skylines. Saw the slant In the dart I have and had to have it. My buddy has a 440 I could get off him and between him and my dad I'm glad I live over 1000 miles away or I'd probably walk out to the garage with them putting it in behind my back lol

Besides seeming to run forever with a minimum of maintenance, a nice clean slant with a matching engine compartment does get a bit of attention. Being dressed up a bit does't hurt either!
IMG_6774.JPG

Over the last 40 years I have had my hands in everything from Stockers to Top Fuel, and every Mopar engine combination that has ever existed.
The Slant is BY FAR the most fun and satisfying engine I have ever messed with.
Key word there is FUN

I think one thing about the slant, for most, is it removes all pressures of expectations. If you win, it's "Ha! My slant beat your V8"!!!!!!! But if you loose, it's "well, I only got a slant"..... LOL. I've played with them, but you have to understand going into it, that they are more costly, and less effective. If your ok with that, then you can enjoy it. But a standard, cheap 4bbl, cam, header swap vs. a V8, and in a street car (3300 lbs) and 3.23 gears, you will be dollars spent ahead and car lengths behind.

I can tell you that we went on the cheap with a slant in a no option '72 duster. We added a super six, cut the head .100, found the biggest outlet exhaust manifold available and ran 2 1/4 inch pipe, and added 3.55's.

Never took it to the strip, but raced a few cars we had taken to the strip. I know it would have ran 15's. Not bad for what we put into it. But then, I've ran 15's with a bone stock 318 2bbl in a B-Body with 2.94's........
For me, I always compare the E.T. to the combo. My duster was more impressive to me than some built 340 duster chok'n down the strip high 14's. For me it's what your doing with what ya got

Lol I meant the inline six not online six lmao. Damn phones and their auto correct

It's kinda like FORD guys and FLATHEADS.Yes Ford made some V8's that will run rings around a Flathead.But many still are faithful to the Flatty.

I'm a small block fan...through and through. Not big blocks...small block V8s.
But when I watch videos of /6s getting big power, idling like a beast and smoking tires, I get very excited about it!
I doubt I'll be swapping my small block for a /6 but they are pretty damn nice little mills!

Jeff
I have one of those slants that idles smoothly and still easily smokes the tires. I am one of the weird guys that did remove the small v8 to put a slant in it's place. Way more fun than the usual V8. The sound is unique and pleasing when the turbo is singing away with 18PSI boost pressure. The attention at shows far exceeds anything I have experienced before with V8s. I have even won the best engine award at a Mopar show...go figure. This Slant 6 has been, for me, the most fun to play with.

smokem.jpg

mopar friends that have known me for decades and remember all the "high end hp" cars I have owned over the years, wonder about me and my love of driving down the back roads with a slant early A body! ha... but it just puts a big smile on my face!

exactly.

"smiles per mile" should be on the SL6 spec sheet

My first car was a 68 Dart with /6. I swap in 3 speed overdrive was originally automatic and super six intake and carb. Was planing to build it up with hidden Nos wanted a total sleeper. My uncle use to tell me stories of built /6 that would beat some fast cars around town in the 70's that inspired me.

But got stolen before finished so my high school car ended up being a Chevette lol

After I got my Duster a few years ago, which was my first real introduction into classic Mopars mind you... I began to read more and more about the /6. I'm diesel guy first and foremost, so I have a real love for in line 6s. Who cares if this one leans to one side a bit? Lol I have much to learn about my Duster and 360 before I seriously entertain getting another classic Mopar but my dream is to have a Valiant with a hot litte turbo /6 some day. :D

I'm thinking Hyper Pak with FiTech..

-
Back