I may be addicted

-
here are a couple of 340'Cuda , i will get some better ones once i get the cars indoors . I can not wait to tear these apart . When i purchased the silver Barracuda it came with spare complete dash and replacement door . The floor pan of the 340 is real bad ( so is the rest of the car ) .

Attachments

• barracuda 052.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 183
  • barracuda 051.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 171
  • barracuda 049.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 182
I do have the original hood with the 340 too , but it is at my business shop staying dry . I will get more pictures up next week when i get cars inside .

Wondered where that car went lol. Was staring at it on craigslist for quite a while, looked like more of a project than I was willing to take on.

The fendertag you posted is interesting. It indeed verifies it came from a A56 'cuda340 package w/4spd. Like many, it is not heavy on options, as they were Plymouths version of the low-option Swinger340. What is interesting is that all 'cuda340, 'cuda383 and 'cuda440 came standard with the twin hood stripes, lower body stripe & blakout, and of course the decal call-outs on the fender. Your tag has a V78 code in it, which if I am correct means it was built as a stripe-delete. Never seen/heard of that myself.

Grant

Wondered where that car went lol. Was staring at it on craigslist for quite a while, looked like more of a project than I was willing to take on.

Are you talking about the 340 ? Yes i believe this is going to be a long long range project , The 34o i first saw on ebay , the silver one was on craigslist in Olympia . Am still looking for a driveable one but am totally broke now and its gonna be awhile . Do you still have the Barracuda parts car ?

The fendertag you posted is interesting. It indeed verifies it came from a A56 'cuda340 package w/4spd. Like many, it is not heavy on options, as they were Plymouths version of the low-option Swinger340. What is interesting is that all 'cuda340, 'cuda383 and 'cuda440 came standard with the twin hood stripes, lower body stripe & blakout, and of course the decal call-outs on the fender. Your tag has a V78 code in it, which if I am correct means it was built as a stripe-delete. Never seen/heard of that myself.

Grant

The fender tag is on the silver Barracuda in the photo , i do not have a fender tag for the blue one .Silver car has been painted many times and i am not sure the fender tag goes with the car . The VIN says its a 318 which is what it has in it and none of the numbers on the VIN are present on the Fender tag . Side note , the car has an auto trans in it now .

Understand. However that fendertag looks pretty original to the same multi-colored inner fender it is attached to. Bet the dash VIN (complete dash) had been swapped at one time. Any numbers on the rad support?

Grant

Understand. However that fendertag looks pretty original to the same multi-colored inner fender it is attached to. Bet the dash VIN (complete dash) had been swapped at one time. Any numbers on the rad support?

Grant
I actually recieved a complete spare dash with the car and it has VIN numbers on it too ....but not the same as fender tag . When i get home this evening I will look for numbers on rad support . I guess i should just keep checking numbers on the car until i find 2 numbers the same . If this is a 318 Barracuda it cant be a 340'Cuda can it ? Can a 318 car be an A56 ? Thank you for the help One of Many , i do appreciate it .

On the fender tag which of the number groups should be on the Vin . there is the 272215 or the 156377 . should one of those be on the Vin ?

272215 is the VIN#. Will be on the dash, and stamped in a few places on the body including the front rad support on top (sometimes under a sticker). It would also have been the number stamped into the engine and trans. The other number is the VON. Vehicle order number. Still cool to see one ordered as stripe delete.

Grant

I am gonna crawl all over this thing tonight and write down some numbers , I am very curious to find out what this car was . My VIN on the dash is not 272215 it ends with 897 and it says BH29F9 . So do you think this is a no stripe 340'Cuda with a 318 ?

What it sounds like is that there are parts to two cars here. One, BH29F9, is a 69 318 Barracuda Fastback. The other on the fender tag is for a stripe-delete A56 'cuda340.

Now, I'm just guessing here, but..

Either someone had a '69 'cuda340 and replaced the dash (with VIN) and motor with one from a 318 car, or someone had a 318 Barracuda and added a fendertag from another car. From the only pic of the fendertag, it looks like with all the layers of peeling paint, that the fenderwells might be F8 (Green) as per the fendertag. Does the rest of the car have green paint showing anywhere? Trunk? Underdash? Floors?

I think it is unusual for someone to replace a fendertag with another, although I guess anything is possible. Maybe the car is clipped? In the "old" days it was not uncommon to fix collision damage by welding the front of one car onto another.

Possibly the dash was swapped at some point in it's life because the VIN for the 340 car was "salvage" or "stolen" and unusable?

Keep us posted.

Grant

The door jams are green , looking at the 1969 color chart I would say F8 or F5 . And the car looks like it was originaly a manual trans . definetly need to crawl around this thing and get more numbers . I am not possitive motor is 318 either ,just assumed it since it has a 1 barrel carb . will try for engine numbers this evening too .

Just found a registration from 1986 to car and VIN on dash matches the one on title but not numbers on fender tag . If you include that car came with another complete dash that has another different VIN thenI think I might have 3 cars in 1

Nice headrest seats in that car. Never seen a steering wheel horn like that in a fish.

If that upper dash pad is the same as a 68 will you sell it to me?

Nice headrest seats in that car. Never seen a steering wheel horn like that in a fish.

If that upper dash pad is the same as a 68 will you sell it to me?

Havent even had a chance to figure out what I have for me yet . Not really ready to start selling stuff but talk to me towards the end of winter .

Sounding more and more like a dash swap. Maybe??

Grant

I agree with you about the dash swap . I just ran home to look at car , its green everywhere ( door jams , trunk ,under carpet ) and the radiator support has same number as fender tag . Will check out more later tonight . The carburetor is a little 2 barrel not a 1 barrel , I am hoping that the motor is a 340 .

Willing to bet the motor was swapped out at one point. Read through this thread, interesting parts car- will be cool to see what the car originally was equipped with.

More onfo on the Barracuda - the engine number is 4006730-318-18 and on the other side where VIN # should be on block is the number 5R118762 . The rear end is not a 8 3/4 either , it has a rear cover with 9 bolts ( will have pix tomorrow ) . any idea's ? I am a little bummed its not a 340 but oh well , I assumed it was a 318 when i bought it .

-
Back