I need a jeep mechanic

-

godfatherofchry

Legandary Member
Legendary Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to help the nabor his 78 jeep cj will start but shut off in the run possession. as long as you hold the key to start it will run.if it was a mopar I would change the resistor and everything be good.BUT it don't have one..thanks for any help on this........Artie

Hay Artie, ramcharger Joe our member is a good Jeep man and may be able to help you here, I have a Jeep (Chiltons) out in the shop let me see what they did in there wiring when the key is put back in the run position :) does it have a starter relay ? I am still in my coffee time mode :coffee:

It's the ignition switch guys.
Seen it quite a few times over the decades on all kinds of cars and trucks.
The contact for the ignition inside the switch is worn and burned.

Agree probably ignition switch. Could be ignition system wire to as well. Make sure ignition system is getting voltage with key in "on" position. The reason you are getting voltage in "crank" position is the bypass in the solenoid.

If switch is on column, the switch may be down low (GM style).

well it looks like a GM switch and it sits out side with just a piece of plywood bolted to the windshield frame and roll bar :wack:this thing is used for pulling wood out of the mt. and has impressed the hell out of me until now.any ways that switch should be down on the side of the steering column isn't it??...and it does have a starter solenoid like a ford..thanks for the info...any more ideas are welcome......Artie

If I recall correctly the wire from the run position of the ignition switch to the positive side of the coil in that Jeep is a resistance wire.
~Michael

Start and run positions use a different contact inside the switch.

The reason you are getting voltage in "crank" position is the bypass in the solenoid.

If switch is on column, the switch may be down low (GM style).

-
Back