I need more room!l

-

UOP

Reaction score
I'm in the process of upgrading the cooling system in my car and I've run into a slight problem. The fan I'm trying to install is just too big. I've already trimmed the housing to the point where the blades are super close to the core and the radiator cannot go forward any more. The engine also cannot move back (yes I would do that to make this fan fit).

So I was looking at it trying to figure it out and realized that I don't use the outter most rib on my crank pulley. My question is, can I just have it milled off? I wouldn't think that if I have it cut on a machine it wouldn't affect the balance much. I think it just might work but I wanted to run it by you guys first. All I need is another 1/8 - 1/4". What do you think?

Here is a pic of the pulley in question. Sorry about the crappy cell phone quality.

photobucket-29681-1371698656003_zps1317ba74.jpg

My son's fan clutch is less than 1/4 inch from the rad,, so we have a piece of chain from a bellhousing bolt to the trans crossmember, to prevent the motor from shifting forward on hard braking, or if he were to bump into a curb, etc..

I found an oem 3 groove on ebay for 35 bucks so I went ahead and ordered it. That's probably cheaper than paying to have mine milled so we'll see how it goes. I appreciate the input. Thanks

Btw I'm going from this, which won't hold the temp down in traffic.

photobucket-75914-1371702000353_zpseb76be3b.jpg

To this, a Lincoln Mark Viii fan.

photobucket-12083-1371702027610_zpsa9109025.jpg

Using the Lincoln Mark VIII fan, nice! Those things pull a ton of air and are fully shrouded. My setup looks very similar, but I have the Chevy HHR fan on mine (also pulls a ton of air and fully shrouded). Let us know how it turns out.

Another set up is the mid 90s Taruas v6 setup it is a 2 sd setup and fully shrouded.

Yeah I'll post up the results next week when the pulley comes in. I sure hope this works, I've fought cooling problems since day one and have never been able to sit in traffic for longer than 10-15 minutes without overheating on a 100+ degree day. As long as it's running down the road it's ok, but if there's no airflow then I really get worried. I've never had a lot of room, hence the single 16" fan, but enough is enough. I thought about the taurus fan but it doesn't fit the core as well as the Mark Viii fan, 18x16 vs 22x19. Both are 2 speed and supposedly use the same motor. We'll see though, after testing the fan on my workbench I must say I'm pretty confident. This think moves a ton of air, and it will be nice knowing that every inch of the core will have air flowing through it at all times.

im sure your already aware but, make sure your wiring is up to the task on the new fan. they pull alot of amps.

Yeah I'll post up the results next week when the pulley comes in. I sure hope this works, I've fought cooling problems since day one and have never been able to sit in traffic for longer than 10-15 minutes without overheating on a 100+ degree day. As long as it's running down the road it's ok, but if there's no airflow then I really get worried. I've never had a lot of room, hence the single 16" fan, but enough is enough. I thought about the taurus fan but it doesn't fit the core as well as the Mark Viii fan, 18x16 vs 22x19. Both are 2 speed and supposedly use the same motor. We'll see though, after testing the fan on my workbench I must say I'm pretty confident. This think moves a ton of air, and it will be nice knowing that every inch of the core will have air flowing through it at all times.

What is behind the plastic cover between the park/headlights on the front of your car, is there a big bumper behind there? Maybe you could open that area up with a hole for more air flow to the radiator? Looks like there is not much area for the air to get thru to your engine....just a thought :glasses7:

That big electric fan looks great and nice fit too :cheers:

Well I got the car back together, the new pulley worked out great. I'm still having some issues keeping it at 180 (creeps as high as 205 in traffic). This weekend I'm going to work on seperating the front of the core from the engine bay to see if that will help. I think it's just circulating hot air over and over. Anyway, here's a couple pics, I appreciate the input.

photobucket-83772-1372129766516_zpsbe143640.jpg

photobucket-49757-1372129151352_zps0b9f2876.jpg

Nice. Best old school/new school blending ,I have seen. Congrats,on the Hot Rod pics.

try venting the hood, if you dont want to cut then lift the back of the hood 1/2" and take out the rubber seal

Attachments

• 100_4572.JPG
    135 KB · Views: 306
  • 100_4574.JPG
    139.4 KB · Views: 333
do you have a n for that Lincoln Mark iii fan? what are the overall dimensions? I like your system ya got goin on. 205 isnt that hot. id be worried at 215-220.

Well I got the car back together, the new pulley worked out great. I'm still having some issues keeping it at 180 (creeps as high as 205 in traffic). This weekend I'm going to work on seperating the front of the core from the engine bay to see if that will help. I think it's just circulating hot air over and over. Anyway, here's a couple pics, I appreciate the input.

photobucket-83772-1372129766516_zpsbe143640.jpg

photobucket-49757-1372129151352_zps0b9f2876.jpg
Can you move that overflow tank?Looks to be blocking some airflow to the rad.I,d also lift the back of your hood 1/2 inch as mentioned,to let hot air out.Good luck,love your cooling setup.:D

When sitting still I can see that heat is escaping from the opening in my cowl hood. It actually fogs the windshield when really cold outside. I'm considering wrapping my headers again, even though they've been ceramic coated. The coating doesn't stop heat near as well as the wrap did.

The guys over on Norotors (RX7 swap forum) are suggesting I have an air short, circulating hot air over and over. I'm currently experimenting by separating the air from the engine bay and front of the core. Yup, that's a garbage bag, ghetto I know, but it's just temporary. I'm running out to the track tonight so I'll be able to tell if it works or not.

photobucket-66670-1372461273617_zps96df93f3.jpg

As for the fan, I'm using an aftermarket version of the Mark Viii fan, TYC part number #620950, and I picked it up from Amazon for $65. It's actually a Thunderbird replacement but it's the same fan. If you cut the mounting tabs it measures 22x19 and is roughly 5.5" thick. You can cut the shroud down to make room and I was able to get it as thin as 4 5/8" with an 1/8" gap between the fan and core.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/TYC-620950-Replacement-Radiator-Condenser/dp/B000IYSL0O/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1372461837&sr=1-1&keywords=Tyc+620950"]TYC 620950 Ford/Mercury Replacement Radiator/Condenser Cooling Fan Assembly : Amazon.com : Automotive[/ame]

Btw, this fan pull a good amount of amps on high (around 40 or so supposedly) so I used 10 gauge wire, a 100 amp circuit breaker, and this PAC relay. The relay is rated for 80 amps continuous, 150 amps surge. Overkill? You betcha, but it was cheap enough.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EAWS6O/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=1535523722&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000K52EAY&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=13XPRC6D0MR82EMQ52QK"]80 AMP RELAY 12 VOLTS : Amazon.com : Automotive[/ame]

seal the hood to the top of the radiator with a strip of foam so it doesnt recirculate.

That setup looks and sounds like a great job. Very clean and robust.

The air is probably pumping downward and recirculating from the bottom more than the top, since there is like 5 + inches of clearance under your rad support. Put an air dam on the bottom of the core support made of cardboard or stiff plastic and lots of duct tape for a test or something.

I had a 4" air dam below my core support before on a gm to help cooling and it did.

Or, maybe seal it up from the bottom of core support to the grille too so it forces it to suck thru the grille rather than from under the car. If the grille hasnt the air flow capabilities then you will need an air dam under the core support to prevent recirculation.

-
Back