I need more room!l

-
When sitting still I can see that heat is escaping from the opening in my cowl hood. It actually fogs the windshield when really cold outside. I'm considering wrapping my headers again, even though they've been ceramic coated. The coating doesn't stop heat near as well as the wrap did.

The guys over on Norotors (RX7 swap forum) are suggesting I have an air short, circulating hot air over and over. I'm currently experimenting by separating the air from the engine bay and front of the core. Yup, that's a garbage bag, ghetto I know, but it's just temporary. I'm running out to the track tonight so I'll be able to tell if it works or not.

As for the fan, I'm using an aftermarket version of the Mark Viii fan, TYC part number #620950, and I picked it up from Amazon for $65. It's actually a Thunderbird replacement but it's the same fan. If you cut the mounting tabs it measures 22x19 and is roughly 5.5" thick. You can cut the shroud down to make room and I was able to get it as thin as 4 5/8" with an 1/8" gap between the fan and core.

Video Link: http://www.amazon.com/TYC-620950-Replacement-Radiator-Condenser/dp/B000IYSL0O/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1372461837&sr=1-1&keywords=Tyc+620950

Btw, this fan pull a good amount of amps on high (around 40 or so supposedly) so I used 10 gauge wire, a 100 amp circuit breaker, and this PAC relay. The relay is rated for 80 amps continuous, 150 amps surge. Overkill? You betcha, but it was cheap enough.

Video Link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EAWS6O/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=1535523722&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000K52EAY&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=13XPRC6D0MR82EMQ52QK

Oh god no. Only thing header wrap is good for is turning the tubes to rust dust. They collect moisture like a mother

Mmmm, do you think they would rust up even if they're already ceramic coated? I am a little nervous about it. I had them wrapped before and when I pulled the wrap to take them to the coater they were bad, flaking metal, rust, everything.

Btw, that garbage bag trick was worth 5 degrees. I'm going to try the bottom to see what it will do. Still testing.

Mmmm, do you think they would rust up even if they're already ceramic coated? I am a little nervous about it. I had them wrapped before and when I pulled the wrap to take them to the coater they were bad, flaking metal, rust, everything.

Btw, that garbage bag trick was worth 5 degrees. I'm going to try the bottom to see what it will do. Still testing.

I wouldn't, but that's just me. Maybe others have had success on ceramic coated headers.

Great news on the bag trick. Sounds like most everyone was right

-
Back