I never thought I'd say this, but it's time to sell

-

blackhand

Reaction score
Well guys, sometimes I surprise myself. I'm moving across the country for graduate school in the spring and I had planned all along to bring the Barracuda with me. Unfortunately, the more I think about it, the more I realize that I have to do the smart thing and let it go. I'm really bummed about this. I've put so much blood, sweat, and love into this car and I am definitely not ready to see it go. I just finished a major engine upgrade a couple of months ago and now I won't even get to enjoy it.

Anyone else had to do this far before they were ready? How did you cope?

I'm really just venting here and don't intend to turn this into a for-sale thread. I do want to see it go to a Mopar guy though, so I'll create a listing in the proper section for those that are interested.

You gotta do what ya gotta do, but you will regret it someday

No doubt! That's what is killing me about it now. I'm just trying to think ahead a few years and hoping that I can find something that I'll be as happy with.

It cost a hell of a lot less to save it than replace it. I've learned that the hard way. They aren't getting any cheaper. But sometimes you just got to do what you think you should do.

Im in the same boat with having to sell Dads "S". It doesnt feel right, but its for the right reasons.
Beautiful notch you got there!

That's what it comes down to, I know it's the right decision for my family.

Thanks 4spd, I'm glad that someone else in the same boat. Well, not glad, but you get the idea.

That's what it comes down to, I know it's the right decision for my family.

Thanks 4spd, I'm glad that someone else in the same boat. Well, not glad, but you get the idea.

Agree and understand 100%, although Im doing what I can to keep mine. Good luck, hope it all works out for you!

If you sell it to someone close by maybe agree on what we call in the south a "Redneck return clause". In other words, if your buyer decides to sell later on down the road, you get first dibs.

If you sell it to someone close by maybe agree on what we call in the south a "Redneck return clause". In other words, if your buyer decides to sell later on down the road, you get first dibs.

look at it this way, when you graduate, get a big paying job, you can afford a hellcat !!

you do what ya gotta do for all different reasons. best for the family is a pretty damn good reason.

how do ya cope? easy you move on. its not like its child you are getting rid of or anything. there are other cars out there. lots of them actually. do what you have to do now and down the road when things are right you can buy another one..

I sold mine 30+ years ago for all the right reasons....at that time. Look at it this way. You will regret it! And you can always chime in the conversation....I had a Hemi Cuda but I had to sell it because the new wife could not push the clutch in and we could not afford two cars" Guess what.... that new wife ran off with another guy 20 years later. Now no car and no wife. Let me tell you I miss that car!!

If at all possible, figure out a way to keep it. I sold my Barracuda after my daughter was born and wish I never had. I thought I needed to, but could have made it work out somehow. I look online weekly for it and have found it once, but could not afford to buy it back. It's more than having it back, it's knowing where it is and hoping it is in good condition, kinda like a child.

Great looking notch - when ever I sold a car I was lucky they went far away and I wouldn't have to see them later and wonder - no matter what it is that was a part of you you'll always want it back or relive it someway but that's the way life works do whatever you feel is correct and move on if your going to graduate school then you must be fairly young and have a full life ahead of you there's always would - should - could of have ????????????????? being that nice of a notch back it should find a good home

It looks like a beautiful car. I would make it my daily driver and keep it. It might get ragged out, but if it does you will have the platform for your next restore...
Or, check out some long term storage places - both where you live now and around your graduate school. Where are you going to grad school? Maybe there is a Mopar club in the area that would know of storage opportunities for you.
C

Take a lesson from the kids, "Let it go". I've done this twice before so I know its doable. I let go a 56 Belair nomad wagon and a 73 Gremlin Levis X. Reminiscing and sharing stories with others shows you've always had your priorities in order. Be sure to mention the positive reasons/results of your past decisions and carry zero regrets.
It's just a car, a toy. You've played with it, enjoyed it, etc.., so it could be worse.
I'll be putting my 67 vert project on the market early next year. Never drove it. Giving up my last and longest dream , letting it go.

Do what you gotta do. As said previously, you will regret it some day.
Maybe take a complete project car on trade so you will be still in the game.......

we respect putting your family first, and we don't know any of the circumstances, nor is it our business. BUT..... is this car a dream, that means much to you or is it just a car that was fun and can be replaced one day? for some of us, dreams are very important.

shipping across country causes expense and trouble. how much $$$ will you lose if you sell????? does that matter to you???? what is the " relationship" this car has in the family. loved by all or sore subject???

I trust my grammer, punctuation, and typing meets the approval of the self-established FABO English police!!?? LOL

MERRY cHRISTMAS

I talk about it at work from time to time. If it came down to it I would sell the driveline first. (still have the factory 318,904) My dart was my first car and given to my by my dad a couple years before I got my drivers license. Drove it until something broke than we would fix it.

Another idea would be to sell your daily driver and drive the barracuda across country. hahahahaha
1968-plymouth-barracuda-with-trailer-southern-nationals.jpg

Blackhand, where are you going to school? What state?

Sometimes in life we have to do something that we will regret later. However family comes first and after all the car is only a car. There are priorities in life and a classic car isn't one of them
Will you regret it? Most likely, but think of the fond memories you will have. If the time ever comes that you want to replace you will probably find something you like just as much and can start making new memories

I'm not going to add to the "sympathy", because I don't have any.

Every guy that ever sold a car he later regretted made the choices that led to it happening. I don't know what "the smart thing" is code for, but the usual script is "mommy/baby/suv" etc etc.

I have nothing against a wife or a family if that is the case, but I've heard all my friends make the same laments and I just blow it off, because I stayed single and have whatever I want. I've seen so many guys put on that "poor me, I had to do it" act instead of just saying they were more interested in wifey cooking every day than to be car guys any longer.

If you REALLY want to keep the car, you'll keep it. You got to graduate school, I'm sure you can figure it out. On the other hand, if are more interested in selling and blowing the money away on "stuff" or bills, you'll do that. But if you do that, don't whine about it later on, because you made the choice. You may be bummed but you aren't bummed enough to keep from selling out I guess.

Did not read any of the comments, sorry. But if this thread is anything like any of the others that selling a car is mentioned I can only guess the content. You will regret it/you will never be able to replace it etc......it is a car, not your wife or first born kid. If you feel it is time for you to send it down the road do so. Things in life change, simple as that.

-
Back