I never thought I'd say this, but it's time to sell

-
don't do it. you'll be sorry and once its gone, its gone. never sell mopar muscle cars or any accrued mopar muscle car parts or high performance parts ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that's what garages and storage units are for.

Well, I tend to overcollect, and then things sit while Ido other stuff. I have a few cars I regret selling, but there's a lot of stuff I regret.. They're just cars. Old ones at that. The blood, sweat, and tears, didn;t come from the car. They came from you. So you'll find something else to invest that same energy in. Do what you have to. There's much more important stuff to do in life, and money on storage IMO is a waste unless we're talking a car that gets hemi money. I do support the Redneck return policy tho. My old '71 Cuda is in Miami now. I still talk to the current owner who's had it 10 years now, afterbuying it from my buddy that I sold it to. Keep in touch and you never know, it might boomerang back some day.

I Sold my 69 dart 40 years ago to someone in long island Lime green 340 4 speed dart with poorly flared fenders. I have been looking for it for 30 years..I regretted it.
ps i got $900 for it then..
BUT! With a good education you could buy any car you want!

If anybody knows of my old one let me know i'd buy it back in any condition!

BY the way I cannot find mine because I have no vin number or old registration num or plat number...

SO if you MUST sell it keep all the tracking info. You might be lucky enough to find it again some day.

When I was in your situation , i rolled it into storage..it stayed there for almost 6 years before I got it home. Man, I had missed that car. Unless you need the $$$$, save t and reassess the sale of it when you can afford to run it again....

I have run into to many folks that sold their car and regretted it...

I am about to be in the same boat as you. I will hopefully be changing jobs soon for the better (fire department). I am looking at taking a huge pay cut for the next 3 years so the car may be up on the sale block or I will try and sell all the goodies I have bought for it.

I have had the car sense I was 17 and it has tons of father son sentimental value. I am 37 now and the car has always been there to give me hope and something to keep my mind sharp no matter what. I love my wife and kid but that car holds a value I am not sure how to replace. The car will never fetch what I know it could be worth. I even feel that chiming in on this thread could be a jinx but my dad always had a saying "get sentimental about something else". This would be easy for me if the car was finished but it is not. I will do anything I can to keep it short of putting my home and family second.
I hope you find a way to keep your. Because if it carries any type of emotional ties I think the regret of selling it will be like unimaginable.

Best of luck. Maybe you can find a member here with a big barn to store if for you.

All great advice, thanks guys. I am considering making some sort of buyback arrangement, it's definitely one of the reasons that I want to see the car go to someone that lives and breathes Mopars as much as I do.

For those that wanted to know, I'll be attending Emory University in Atlanta, which is $$$$. Our budget is going to be very tight for the next year while I'm in school and my wife is making a hell of a lot of sacrifices to help me accomplish my goals. Unfortunately, she can't be the only one and I have to do my part to get us through the year as well.

The good news is that I will definitely be able to get back in the game once I re-enter the workforce with significantly higher wages. My wife has already agreed to let me buy whatever the hell kind of car I want after graduation, so there's that to look forward to. I just know how nice my car is now and there's this nagging voice in my head telling me that I won't be able to find something similar. Probably just being paranoid, but I suppose that's a risk I'll have to take.

Drive it over the mountains or on the peninsula and store it there, inexpensive, and no one will mess with it. Really where there is a will there is a way. Sounds like you want it gone though. Good luck.

Well best of luck to you. I don't think your heart is in this selling the car idea. Or maybe it actually is.

I'll say that there always are a lot more "sacrifices" women have to make, because women always want a lot more to begin with. Is her sacrifice going to be drive a 10yo, paid for car like Dave Ramsey advocates when you are on a strict budget? Are you going to live downtown where you don't have to drive as much, or in the suburbs in a nice house?

I store a car that I never drive in dry storage and it costs about $100 a month. If you get a place with a garage, it doesn't cost you anything. Park it, cover it, take the insurance off, then when you done with school, it's there waiting on you.

Whatever money you get for it will be gone before you know it. The script always goes the same: graduate, now wife wants a better house, now hubby has to pay for that, now wife wants kids, now wife wants another, bigger house, etc etc etc.

As I said...if you REALLY want to keep that car for the 12 months, you will. If you DON'T and you want something ELSE the wife will "let" you buy:lovestor: then that's what will happen.End of story.

PS no you won't be able to find something similar. People needing money always sell too cheap. Then they buy something cheap that needs everything the first car HAD done to it already. Unless you WANT a Camry, keep it.

:burnout::burnout:
Well best of luck to you. I don't think your heart is in this selling the car idea. Or maybe it actually is.

I'll say that there always are a lot more "sacrifices" women have to make, because women always want a lot more to begin with. Is her sacrifice going to be drive a 10yo, paid for car like Dave Ramsey advocates when you are on a strict budget? Are you going to live downtown where you don't have to drive as much, or in the suburbs in a nice house?

I store a car that I never drive in dry storage and it costs about $100 a month. If you get a place with a garage, it doesn't cost you anything. Park it, cover it, take the insurance off, then when you done with school, it's there waiting on you.

Whatever money you get for it will be gone before you know it. The script always goes the same: graduate, now wife wants a better house, now hubby has to pay for that, now wife wants kids, now wife wants another, bigger house, etc etc etc.

As I said...if you REALLY want to keep that car for the 12 months, you will. If you DON'T and you want something ELSE the wife will "let" you buy:lovestor: then that's what will happen.End of story.

PS no you won't be able to find something similar. People needing money always sell too cheap. Then they buy something cheap that needs everything the first car HAD done to it already. Unless you WANT a Camry, keep it.

I agree with this reply :burnout:

I love my car and say that I will never sell it. However if it came down to family or a big life choice I would dump it. Our cars are special to us but at the end of the day your relationships are more important.

I went away to school and found a place to store my car. Exhaust all efforts to store or keep the car and if that doesn't work then sell it. You may kick yourself down the road but you should let a car keep you from doing something you really want to do.

Like "things" love people.......I made choices early on for my business 1st because it needed all my attention.Then later on for my family when I got one. Many years later, I got back way more and better. You reap what you sow.

" 1st, don't do what you want to do, then you can do what you wish".....Buddha

P.S. I am not Buddhist, just wise words.

none of us here know WHAT relationship your car has in the family, that is your and your wife's relationship to the car. Is it a loved member of the family or just a sore subject??????
if the car is very important to you, perhaps she would be willing to make "further" sacrifices so you can keep it??? trust me, thru the years you will both make sacrifices for each other!!!
if it makes no big woop, to you sell it! like he said, the $$ ya get out of it will be soon gone, and nothing to show for it except less that one car....
You know you will be a "foreigner" when you get down theare, but once you make a friend ( and a deserved relation), to a local, and car guy too, you will find people go WAY out of their way to help you there. shouldn't b e hard at all to find someone out in the country a ways that will find a spot for it. if nothin else throw, a good tarp over it????
we get plenty of advice on here, but you are the only one that's knows your feelings and your wifes. good luck

none of us here know WHAT relationship your car has in the family, that is your and your wife's relationship to the car. Is it a loved member of the family or just a sore subject??????
if the car is very important to you, perhaps she would be willing to make "further" sacrifices so you can keep it??? trust me, thru the years you will both make sacrifices for each other!!!
if it makes no big woop, to you sell it! like he said, the $$ ya get out of it will be soon gone, and nothing to show for it except less that one car....
You know you will be a "foreigner" when you get down theare, but once you make a friend ( and a deserved relation), to a local, and car guy too, you will find people go WAY out of their way to help you there. shouldn't b e hard at all to find someone out in the country a ways that will find a spot for it. if nothin else throw, a good tarp over it????
we get plenty of advice on here, but you are the only one that's knows your feelings and your wifes. good luck
I agree with this post as well :burnout:

I did the exact same thing. Worst decision I ever made at the time. Blew through the money and it was gone. Going to school is a sacrifice on you as well. It's not like you are going to Disney World for a year. Graduate school is a lot of hard work and long hours. I would suck it up and keep the car. When stress is getting to you go out and tinker with your car. It will help you get through easier IMO.

don't sell it. i sold both of my chargers (68&69)cuz i was deploying back to iraq from Ft. Bliss/El Paso, Tx. and i didn't want them to be sitting in the motorpool yard possibly getting stripped of parts being so close to mexico and thieves so i did sell the 69 to a fellow army soldier with the hopes of buying it back but after i got back guy and charger where both gone. my 68 however i got screwed by the guys from desert car kings and they raped me without lube on that deal and ever since then when i see a charger i wanna kick myself in the *** for selling them. the closest thing i have to a mopar is my 65 barracuda and i won't get rid of that. i hope that 1 day in the future i will be able to get another charger

Been where you are, sold more than one car I built to buy groceries and pay rent. There is always another car, in fact lots of them and a degree will enable you to build/buy what you want. Good luck whatever you decide to do.
DR

I have no regrets about selling any car or any other item, it is a material item.
Now I do regret not spending more time with my Grandfather and learning more from him !
If you need to sell it to better yourself , so be it. just my 2 cents. I had well over 30K in my Duster and had it very long time, but it sat in the garage and I need a vehicle to get my Elderly parents around, so I sold it and bought a Jeep Liberty. We do what we need to do!

Bottom line is it's your car and you know what is your priorities. I myself sold a pretty solid roadrunner several years ago that I put back together, enjoyed it a few years and it was a very trustworthy car, very comfortable cruiser/highway car. Sold it to get what I wanted that I still have to this day. When I look back I should've kept the roadrunner. This car I have now I got into way more than I had planned. I will keep this one as long as I keep the car interest, but when that goes away this one will go and that's it. Hopefully as my youngest grandchild gets older and if he takes up the car bug I will help him along with his own car or allow him to enjoy the present one with me. I found out with just a year or two before I purchased this car the prices went higher with everything, parts, paint materials, and paint. I couldn't believe how it changed in such a short time, and this is an A body. Good Luck with your decision, a lot of good advise here. :burnout:

Seen storing it a few times mentioned. Former neighbor rolled his first car into storage. Car was rust free when he did. He cleaned the car top and bottom and gave it a coat of wax. Fast forward 10 years or so Dave went to retrieve it. Even the roof was rotted. When I helped him unload it the rear bumper dropped off...frame rotted. He had a fair market offer right after putting it in storage...Car was stored in an unheated garage near a lake in Minnesota some place. Good luck with whatever you decide...

-
Back