I think I f'd up

-
what a lame response. Somebody got to it to put it together. That somebody put his pants on one leg at a time just like the rest of us. You wanna own an old car? Then learn how to open your eyes and figure stuff out. With an attitude like that, you may as well go buy an old hyundai.
w o w !

While everyone should have copies of the factory service manuals for their particular car, sometimes (a lot actually) the information and/or drawings you're seeking are just not going to be there.

I've just gone through mine (76 chassis and body, electrical) not found a single specific drawing or procedure detailing the cowl to dash brace or the pinch clamp studs (bolts) bolting the steering column up. Perhaps this is because the factory service manuals are for all car lines and just not the A bodies. Perhaps the information is in a specific manual devoted to actual body construction not generally available to the public, but I couldn't find a single diagram detailing the dash brace/pinch clamp bolt assembly in the service manuals for V and L car lines (A bodies).

If you've sheared off the two pinch clamp mounting studs, there is no magic bandaid fix and you are going to be replacing them. Maybe you'll get lucky and find some special clamp that would allow you to press the studs up out of the dash frame to cowl brace or maybe you'll have enough room to trim what's left of the studs and use coupling nuts and more studs to extend them. Be prepared to remove the dash frame (enough people on here have posted threads on dash frame removal doing a thread search should show you what you need to do) and possibly the pedal bracket too just to gain access and working room if the studs are crimped or welded to the brace, and if that's the case you might find it easier to remove the brace from the cowl and replace it.

Just think of the experience as a chance to learn more about your car and/or speed up the time line for doing some things you were going to do anyway.

It is fixed I junt need to get the other side.

Coolness. Then you learned sumffin. Not the least of which is that thing ain't nuffin but a bucket of bolts. It's a lot easier than you think. Good for you.

Tough love.....you get that around here. Alot of us older guys learned by crawling in, under, and round places in a car that 99% of the human race will never see (or know existed). The internet made it so easy for the young ones to just say "How do I do this?" without really trying. I'm not saying that 1973dusterkid didn't try cause looking at his pics he got part of the way there. SS was just trying to get him to look "WAAAAYYYY" up there where a lot of us have been. No harm, no foul....just a learning curve :D

What a lame response. SOMEBODY got to it to put it together. That somebody put his pants on one leg at a time just like the rest of us. You wanna own an old car? Then learn how to open your eyes and figure stuff out. With an attitude like that, you may as well go buy an old Hyundai.
Easy Stroker!

Tough love.....you get that around here. Alot of us older guys learned by crawling in, under, and round places in a car that 99% of the human race will never see (or know existed). The internet made it so easy for the young ones to just say "How do I do this?" without really trying. I'm not saying that 1973dusterkid didn't try cause looking at his pics he got part of the way there. SS was just trying to get him to look "WAAAAYYYY" up there where a lot of us have been. No harm, no foul....just a learning curve :D

That was exactly my point. Everything is learned better when you have to figure it out for yourself. It sticks. Nothin wrong wif a lil guidance though....and tough love. lol

While everyone should have copies of the factory service manuals for their particular car, sometimes (a lot actually) the information and/or drawings you're seeking are just not going to be there..

From the '72 manual, available for free from our site:

289kf48.jpg

So you did a reach round to grab the nut of some stud ?? Congrats !!

...and did he yell when you did it? Seriously, though, some things on these old cars seem to have been conjured up by a magician, but everything there was engineered for a specific purpose. You just need to eyeball the problem as best as possible and then sit back and figure what you are looking at. Manuals are indispensable. Help from others who have "been there and done that" is also indispensable.

I found that people have a range of mechanical knowledge and ability that range from expert all the way to which-end-of-the-hammer-do-I-hold, yet they are all car people. I, for one, have learned about this stuff by studying, looking at manuals, doing, and asking for advice, all of which adds up to experience.

Thanks to FABO, I have learned more about our old Mopars than I had in the previous 40 years.

That was exactly my point. Everything is learned better when you have to figure it out for yourself. It sticks. Nothin wrong wif a lil guidance though....and tough love. lol
strokerscamp:
tough love, ok but when i first read your post that chewed the kids *** out i just assumed your were an asshole yourself. i was completely taking back by your disreceptful comment to the kid. as i read along further i see you have plenty of experience in the mechanical field and are a disabled mechanic by what i read in your profile and also have over 8000+ post here. also i see that your very knowledgeble in the field of mopar hotrods and respect you for it. so i'm also going to assume that your older and have a touch less ability to handle questions from someone who just bought their first car/hotrod. some how i don't see how he kept his cool with your comments but have to say he was a gentleman through the whole thing and learned alot about taking time to find out and do it on his own. i just hope he stays with the mopar hotrod community and continues to ask and take advise from all of us.
stokerscamp, please pick you words and make your comment respectful in the furture as we all would like to pick your brain as we incounter problems that we need your help on and you encourage us to find information in manuals and on line. repectfully, bOb

What stokerscamp said would be nothing short of what my dad would yell at me.I took no offence to his comment just learned from it.

-
Back