I was pulled over this morning.. 26mph over in a 30mph...

-
That's pretty unlikely. Especially since you're not a habitual speeder/dangerous driver.

That is going to vary state to state and DA to DA. My daughter got popped in Colorado for 26 over and it ended up being a criminal offense that cost her over $3K plus school and probation. That was his first offence other than parking and she was alone.

I think before the attorney, I would contact the OFFICER. Ask him if he will consider lowering the speed. If he will, you can pay the fine and that will likely be cheaper than an attorney. Be nice. Tell him you were in the wrong. What have you got to lose?

I think before the attorney, I would contact the OFFICER. Ask him if he will consider lowering the speed. If he will, you can pay the fine and that will likely be cheaper than an attorney. Be nice. Tell him you were in the wrong. What have you got to lose?

he already signed the ticket... changing the speed would be grounds to throw out the charge.

About all you can do, in light of your evident good record, is get your lawyer, and I'm sure he'll suggest this -- to plead guilty to a lesser / reduced charge.

That is, assuming there's no other way to fight it.

First thing I'd do is reasearch what speed limits amount to in unposted areas, or maybe you'll get lucky---maybe there's a 55 sign back there somewhere, and it never got reposted. Worth a look

In Idaho 20 over magically turns into...............reckless driving
I got pulled over doing 155 once
(yes, km/h :D)
in a 100 zone. The cop was nice enough to drop it to 150 so I could just pay the ticket instead of visiting a judge. Turns out over 50 clicks over is dangerous/reckless driving.
Now I try to keep it under 150 lol.

I agree with 67Dart that you should research the road for the appeal. Make a recon and map of the road several miles in each direction from your stop sign turn and arrest. Mark any signs and houses on it. Do this before your visit with lawyer. Be careful driving that road when you do it. It sounds like a speed trap.

what county in mo? I was pulled over and arrested when I was 19 in platte county for 96 in a 70. had to put up $250 bond to get out. went to court plead guilty, they retained the bond as fees and that was it. I don't think I even got points against my license, because I've been a school bus driver since then and pass my mvr's with flying colors.

lol 25 over put him in the dangerous driver catigory

yeesh, i think i'll stay in my hippy state. The main highway through my town is 65mph, but the average speed of traffic is 85-90 on a sunny day. They'd be locking up half our town if that was the case.

he already signed the ticket... changing the speed would be grounds to throw out the charge.

If you knew what you were talking about, you'd be dangerous. The officer can make those type decisions. I've done it a good bit. Kitty has a heavy right foot.

If you knew what you were talking about, you'd be dangerous. The officer can make those type decisions. I've done it a good bit. Kitty has a heavy right foot.

Well, Rob, you're in Georgia. We're not. State laws vary. Here, once the cop "starts" the ticket, it's done. After that, it's up to the prosecutor and judge

Tatum Blvd near Greeway

Well, Rob, you're in Georgia. We're not. State laws vary. Here, once the cop "starts" the ticket, it's done. After that, it's up to the prosecutor and judge

right, changing the ticket implies the officer made an error or is lying... the officer signs that ticket before you do, he can not go back after signing that...

unless he had you fill out another ticket but im sure they are on that

Don't have a panic attack!

You got caught. Now the best thing to do is minimize the official
Legal damages. Yes it is going to be expensive so be prepared for that and get an attorney. An attorney can negotiate before you ever go to court which makes it worth their fees. You have time to get prepared and some funds, sell some stuff if you need to. Your clean record is your best asset so do NOT get another violation.

Don't worry you will be alright but it will be a pain.

X2. It may very well cost you more "immediate" cash to hire a lawyer and at least try to get this reduced, but even if this DOES cost more

It might reduce the charges

It might reduce the sentence

It might mitigate the insurance hit

and in a few years if you are unlucky enough to get hit again with anything, including an accident, whether your fault or not, having a reduced charge on your record might be an arguing point in your favor down that road.

I guess you've realized by now, this is not a simple speeding ticket.

I think you'll be fine if this is the first offense you've had, or had in a long while.

Either they have changed the rules in 20 years, or Ohio is more lenient. I say this because a state hoopie pulled me over going 80+ in a 55 when I was in college and late for class. (Yeah it was dumb but I was like 18-19 at the time so of course I did dumb things.) AND I just had a ticket about 2 weeks before for going 40 in a 25 (speed trap town).

My fines for the second ticket at the time were huge...like $150-180, but that was because it was the 2nd ticket in as many weeks, as well as the high amount over the speed limit. I can't remember the exact speed over but I know it was in the 80's, and definitely in a 55 mph zone. As a teenager, if the cop had the right to arrest me on the spot and impound my car, I'm amazed he didn't do it.

Overall my record isn't that bad. I had one other speeding ticket since then, going 66 in a 55.

If you live in MO then you can take your vehicle to a repair shop and have them "check and calibrate your speedometer" You can take the receipt for the work to court and plead no contest and show them your receipt. Claim that the speedo was defective and you didn't know until you were pulled over. Once you got popped you realized there must be a problem so you had it checked out by your mechanic. They should drop it to defective equipment.

Other option is an attorney.

I have done this both ways and they both work.

I was driving my 2009 Dodge Ram... I don't think the speedometer is off but, would it be possible to find a shop to check it and go this route???

If you live in MO then you can take your vehicle to a repair shop and have them "check and calibrate your speedometer" You can take the receipt for the work to court and plead no contest and show them your receipt. Claim that the speedo was defective and you didn't know until you were pulled over. Once you got popped you realized there must be a problem so you had it checked out by your mechanic. They should drop it to defective equipment.

Other option is an attorney.

I have done this both ways and they both work.

Call around...I don't know what shops you have but I took mine to the dodge dealer and for $50.00 I got what I needed.

You may want to explain that you think there is a problem with the speedo and have them check it out......that check up will show up on your receipt for the work.

You said you were ticketed on 10/2. Do what Rob said and personally contact the officer and talk to him. Don't wait any longer. He probably hasn't turned the ticket in beyond City Hall or wherever he works out of. My guys (yes I work with the cops) usually wait a day or so before turning them in sometimes later if he rotated off his schedule. If it was a speed trap he won't even talk to you as traps are revenue. Don't panic all things can be resolved. Secondly if that doesn't work appear before a judge and plead on your excellent prior driving record and ask the judge to please be lenient and assign you to attend the Missouri online Driving University. Upon successful completion he may dismiss the ticket completely or at least reduce the fine and points. Well worth a shot. Dan

-
Back