I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't seen it !

-

Brooks James

VET, CPT, Huey Medevac Pilot
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Got it from a buddy who worked for Mopar. He bought it in 1960. Notice the jack for factory electronic ignition. IIRC factory electronic ignition wasn't standard till 1972
When I asked him how this could be, he said that Chrysler was notorious for doing things without telling anyone.
Now that I've thought about it, Mopar was always a leader in innovation

IMG_20220820_161122960.jpg

IMG_20220820_161110106.jpg

Last edited:
Got it from a buddy who worked for Mopar. He bought it in 1960. Notice the jack for factory electronic ignition. IIRC factory electronic ignition wasn't standard till 1972
When I asked him how this could be, he said that Chrysler was notorious for doing things without telling anyone.
Now that I've thought about it, Mopar was always a leader in innovation

View attachment 1715973217

View attachment 1715973218

Your buddy is full of ****. MSD wasn’t a company until 1970. And that 7 box didn’t come along for another 7 or 8 years.

Your buddy is full of ****. MSD wasn’t a company until 1970. And that 7 box didn’t come along for another 7 or 8 years.
Not to nit-pik, but the MSD 7 was available before 1977. I had one on my 65 Valiant Z/sa before 1977. I think it was 1975 or 1976. Had to special order for the 6 cyl, not a 8 cyl. and it did not have the Chrys connector. It had a terminal strip, and was wire with direct wiring.
PS: I still have it on the shelf. It died about 10 years, ago, and MSD said they couldn't fix it (part not available). A member on slantsix.org, had me send it to him, and he was able to repair it for $25.00. Transistor went bad.

Not to nit-pik, but the MSD 7 was available before 1977. I had one on my 65 Valiant Z/sa before 1977. I think it was 1975 or 1976. Had to special order for the 6 cyl, not a 8 cyl. and it did not have the Chrys connector. It had a terminal strip, and was wire with direct wiring.
PS: I still have it on the shelf. It died about 10 years, ago, and MSD said they couldn't fix it (part not available). A member on slantsix.org, had me send it to him, and he was able to repair it for $25.00. Transistor went bad.

Well I was close. I’m sure it didn’t come out in 1960. Or 1970.

You response indicates a strong

Look up controversy
As Rat Bastid said, no controversy.. It's not from the 60's... And it's not from Chrysler... It's from MSD/Autotronic Controls...

Those of us who are old enough to remember would be happy to tell you friend he's full of ****...

As Rat Bastid said the company was incorporated in 1970 a couple days shy of 1971..
Screen Shot 2022-08-20 at 8.46.15 PM.png

It’s only a controversy because you want it to be. Again, your friend is full of ****. And YOU a bought it. That’s not my problem.
I didn't completely buy it, I merely repeated something I was told, especially the part about it being that old as electronic ign wasn't till 72 ?? And yes, I got a thrill out of it.
I will be sure in the future to post something that is truly controversial, like the thread I started about what exactly the specs were on the 340 1968 manual trans camshaft
I posted the specs directly from the 1976 Direct Connection Racing Manual and it started a **** storm. Look it up

I will be sure in the future to post something that is truly controversial, like the thread I started about what exactly the specs were on the 340 1968 manual trans camshaft
I posted the specs directly from the 1976 Direct Connection Racing Manual and it started a **** storm. Look it up
The Direct Connection manuals, had many errors. It was just like the internet. People posting/writing what they saw/heard some where else.

The Direct Connection manuals, had many errors. It was just like the internet. People posting/writing what they saw/heard some where else.
Yes sir agreed, I read info from 4 "reputable"
(Tounge in cheek) places and the answers were all over the place, some who posted had offered other specs. My last post was I guess we will never know.
I'm anxious to learn the results of specs on the Cam that another member got from a factory Chrysler Engineer, that the specs will be measured

Yes sir agreed, I read info from 4 "reputable"
(Tounge in cheek) places and the answers were all over the place, some who posted had offered other specs. My last post was I guess we will never know.
I'm anxious to learn the results of specs on the Cam that another member got from a factory Chrysler Engineer, that the specs will be measured
I try to post what I know, personally, for a fact. If I don't know for sure, I usually say "I think", or "I'm not sure, but", or "I'm not positive". I try to give info, even if it isn't "gospel", as it might give someone a starting place. But they need to confirm it is correct.

I try to post what I know, personally, for a fact. If I don't know for sure, I usually say "I think", or "I'm not sure, but", or "I'm not positive". I try to give info, even if it isn't "gospel", as it might give someone a starting place. But they need to confirm it is correct.
Good for you !

Direct Connection was unveiled in 1974, so the box in question wasn't available through Chrysler until that time.

Direct Connection was unveiled in 1974, so the box in question wasn't available through Chrysler until that time.
If it were being made by Autotronics prior to 1974 Chrysler could have sold it through their "Hustle Stuff" performance parts program...

I have one too, still works. Bought my first one (a 6) in 73-4 for my Max Wedge 64 and had many since then got 3-4 plus the 7 now. BTW Chrysler worked with these guys to bring it into production.

-
Back