Identification on used Mopar Crate 360

-
The intake doesn’t turn at a lower rpm.
This is a statement that isn’t exactly clear so I’ll say this…

The intake is designed for a rpm between 1500 & 6500.
This doesn’t mean it reaches 6600 and drops dead on its face.
The intake will continue to make good power after 6500 BUT….
At that point you might want to re think about what your doing and with what your doing it with as in, perhaps the performance arena may require a single plane intake or do some serious work to the dual plane.

This is more related to the camshaft and the rest of the engine package like the cylinder heads, engine size, engine stroke z& everything else behind it.

A dual plane has always been recommended for the street since some of the absolute earliest days of hot rodding. The RPM is the King but also there is the Weiand Stealth and action plus that are no slouches ether. Older Edelbrock intakes like the LD-340 are also really good.

A member here, Myron P, under screen name Locomotion is a drag racer for a very long time in the crate engine class. He is here in Florida. He has made print with his championship seasons & has for a long time.

@Locomotion Where ya been? Miss ya buddy!

Myron knows how these work and how to make them tick a bit better. But I don’t think it’s cheap! LMAO!
He has run a Weiand Stealth for a long time because the car ETed best with it. Hard to argue the facts and numbers!

IF you decide to sell the M1, it’ll go fast!
Roll the monies over into the rpm or pay off the rpm by banking the money after you get it.

(Pssssst, that’s free performance & HP right there buddy!)

The intake doesn’t turn at a lower rpm.
This is a statement that isn’t exactly clear so I’ll say this…

The intake is designed for a rpm between 1500 & 6500.
This doesn’t mean it reaches 6600 and drops dead on its face.
The intake will continue to make good power after 6500 BUT….
At that point you might want to re think about what your doing and with what your doing it with as in, perhaps the performance arena may require a single plane intake or do some serious work to the dual plane.

This is more related to the camshaft and the rest of the engine package like the cylinder heads, engine size, engine stroke z& everything else behind it.

A dual plane has always been recommended for the street since some of the absolute earliest days of hot rodding. The RPM is the King but also there is the Weiand Stealth and action plus that are no slouches ether. Older Edelbrock intakes like the LD-340 are also really good.

A member here, Myron P, under screen name Locomotion is a drag racer for a very long time in the crate engine class. He is here in Florida. He has made print with his championship seasons & has for a long time.

@Locomotion Where ya been? Miss ya buddy!

Myron knows how these work and how to make them tick a bit better. But I don’t think it’s cheap! LMAO!
He has run a Weiand Stealth for a long time because the car ETed best with it. Hard to argue the facts and numbers!

IF you decide to sell the M1, it’ll go fast!
Roll the monies over into the rpm or pay off the rpm by banking the money after you get it.

(Pssssst, that’s free performance & HP right there buddy!)
Thanks Rob. Curious what Myron has to say about my

P5249499 Crate Engine​

I’d say… that he will say…. In order to get yours to run like mine…. Better be prepared to take it apart and spend some (LOL-A lot!) of money.

His car is very well sorted out.

I can't say I know a lot about the Magnum versions of Mopar's crate engines because I ran the original LA head 360/300hp. They also had the 360/360hp LA version which basically had bigger valves, .100 more lift and a single plane. All the small blocks after that were Magnum headed. Not sure about the aluminum head versions. But any engine - the bigger the cam, carb, heads/valves, etc., the better it responds to more converter & gear. The trick is to balance/orchestrate the combination of parts to make the best "music" for the application - street, strip or dual purpose. If one "instrument is "off", then the "music" won't sound right. (Be optimized.)

I do have to correct Rumble because while I did test the Weiand Stealth for a short time, it was not faster than the Holley Strip Dominator on my particular combination. But I did have a converter that actually flashed to between 4900 and 5400, depending on weather and "tune", 4.86 gears with 30" tall Hoosier radial slicks and shifted just below 7,000. The dual plane Weiand picked up a little ET (.05+) by jetting about 2 #'s bigger on the deeper plenum side, but the Holley was still faster. I don't know if an Edelbrock RPM or other dual planes would respond the same way to stagger jetting.

The crates were designed to work on the street so while my IHRA "Stock" engine had to follow the same basic specs, the cam (stock lift but steep ramps & lots of duration.), lifters, rings, blueprinting etc. provided for a significant power increase. My best was 11.14 @ 117+ & 6.99 in the 1/8 mile with a best of 1.47 60' times.....all at 3,540+ lbs footbraking a 904 w/2.74 low gear. NHRA Stockers are even more "refined".

It's worth noting that while the Holley Strip Dominator had a much higher RPM range than a dual plane and I shifted well before the "peak" of its range, the engine was almost never below 5000 rpm. I staged around 3,000 rpm and launched from that. The Holley also has a shallower plenum than a Victor which I thought would work better for me. I figured the Victor would be too much. I never tested one but others weren't impressed. But each combo and approach will be different.

Last edited:
@Locomotion Thanks for the correction, I’d hate to make the same mistake over and over.

Did you test the RPM?

@Locomotion Thanks for the correction, I’d hate to make the same mistake over and over.

Did you test the RPM?
No, never got around to the RPM. I don't recall the difference between the Stealth & Strip Dominator, but I didn't think the RPM would be so much better than the Stealth dual plane that it would pass the Strip Dominator (In my particular application.). But that's what I'd call an "educated guess".

Ha ha ha, I’ll call your education better than mine.

-
Back