Identification on used Mopar Crate 360

-

Trogdoor

Reaction score
I am going to look at a slightly used Mopar crate 360 with the single plane M1 intake. From looking at their history I see them listed at 380Hp and 390HP. Was their any difference or just a revised rating? The bigger question, is their an ID on the motor to positively identify which version this is. Also where would it be located. I see that their was an old order number P4510851 and a newer part#P5153457. Thanks for any insight.

My create short block had a sticker on the front lower passenger side of the block with the part number on it.

Now, IIRC....

The 380hp engine was a "LA"'headed .020 over engine with MoPars 284*/.484-110 cam with stock heads and 2.02-1.60 valves. The comp ratio was 10-1.

The 390 rates engine only difference is it is a Magum headed engine.

Again, if I remembered correctly.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/archive/index.php/t-5312.html

380 HP P5249499
390 HP P5007646

There's also a 410 Magnum crate motor kicking around out there at a pricey 10K.

I have the 380 version and I would recommend getting it if the price is right. Bought mine NOS sitting in a barn for my 73 Duster. I put no more than 20 hours on it and never maxed it out yet. It is mean and nasty!

I believe the heads were upgraded to the higher HP versions.

The 380 HP
Part # P5249499

Horsepower: 380 hp @ 5300 rpm
Torque: 410 ft-lbs @ 4400
Compression Ratio: 9.0:1
Block: Cast Iron
Crankshaft: Cast, 3.580"
Heads, Chamber Size: Cast Iron
Valves: 1.925" / 1.625"
Camshaft Lift: 0.501" / 0.513"
Dur. @ 0.050": 288 / 292
Intake: M1 Aluminum Dual Plane

I bought a '69 Dart project several years ago that the PO had tired of. It came with a new 380-horse 360 crate motor already under the hood.
My build is still not complete but from the research I've done I found the 380-horse motor came with Magnum heads and the 390-horse version came with the later Magnum R/T heads. Same cam is used in both motors. Oh, and my 380-horse crate motor came with the single-plane M1 intake. The PO put a Holley 770-cfm Street Avenger on it. But, as I said earlier, the build is still ongoing and I still plan on pulling the motor and checking everything out while the body & paint is being done.

What about the first 360 hp crate motor? Unless I missed something, he just said it was a 360 with a single plane. Pretty sure the first 360/360 crate motor had a single plane M1, too, so it could be one of those.

They were LA motors, so the intake bolts would not be vertical like the later 380/390 versions.

Might check the valve springs, too. Just because it has a sinlge plane on it now doesn't mean it wasn't swapped. Pretty sure that all of the regular 360 crate motors had stock heads with standard valve springs to match the base cams, while the higher hp crate motors had upgraded valve springs to match the higher lift cams. Can't tell you what to look for on the valve springs, though.

Thanks for the input so far. I am still interested if someone knows how to ID the version. Would it have anything stamped on it somewhere?

Have you asked the guy? Maybe he has some paperwork or remembers exactly what it was.

I don't think you are going to get any more info, I just don't think there is a good answer. Doesn't appear that MP leave any marks on the motor to help you.

You can tell some by what heads it has, LA heads equals 360 hp, Magnum heads equals 380, Magnum RT (maybe) equals 390. Beyond that you need to get into the motor and measure the cam duration and lift to get a better idea.

Can't help with the ID but last summer I bought a used 300 hp 360 crate motor. It has a 91 roller block and LA heads. I still haven't been able to find anyone who can tell me anything about the heads.

Here is the number on the side of it.

IMG_20120226_104621.jpg

Iwent to look at the engine and the owner had paperwork saying it was part number P5007646 which was listed as a 395 HP version of the 360. I will probably buy it, but I am concerned about hood clearance with the M1 manifold. It will go in a 1968 GTS Dart. Edelbrock only lists their Air Gap manifold as fitting the Magnum block. It is about the same height as the M1. I will start a new thread with that question unless anyone reading this has experience using the crate motor with the stock hood.

Thanks

edelbrock makes the air gap for LA and Magnum engines. yes, they fit under the stock hood with a 14" drop base air cleaner...

The 380 HP
Part # P5249499

Horsepower: 380 hp @ 5300 rpm
Torque: 410 ft-lbs @ 4400
Compression Ratio: 9.0:1
Block: Cast Iron
Crankshaft: Cast, 3.580"
Heads, Chamber Size: Cast Iron
Valves: 1.925" / 1.625"
Camshaft Lift: 0.501" / 0.513"
Dur. @ 0.050": 288 / 292
Intake: M1 Aluminum Dual Plane
I believe these only came m1 Single plane

Trust me, your gonna like it with that intake.
Been there done that and never going back.
That single plane intake is a racing manifold for a good power band rpm of plus 3K. Best used in a 4000 - 7500 rpm band. It kills in that area. The rest of that engine is no where near that level of performance as built.

That single plane intake is a racing manifold for a good power band rpm of plus 3K. Best used in a 4000 - 7500 rpm band. It kills in that area. The rest of that engine is no where near that level of performance as built.
I've been driving it!

tempImage8e0Ew8.png

Edelbrock 7577: RPM Air-Gap Magnum Intake Manifold Chrysler: 1992-Up 5.2L & 1993-Up 5.9L - JEGS High Performance

Edelbrock 2915 Edelbrock Victor Intake Manifolds | Summit Racing

-
Back