Identifying a lock-up converter

-

DartVadar

Reaction score
Kinda surprised and confused on this one. I was just cleaning all the sludge and dirt off of my 904 trans so I could install the shift kit and from whats written on it its definitely not the original trans that came with the car. The car is a 73 dart swinger with a 318, well now it has a 360 in it :D

According to the writing its from a 1984 d150, and it says lock-up on it... The valve body looks brand new and the converter was also brand new looking. And I'm hoping that its not a lock-up converter/trans. Its written in this orange felt marker, so its simply hand written on.

Is there any way to determine if its a lock-up? because from what I understand they aren't really the best...or am I wrong.

Not sure about the converter ID, but the shaft that goes into the converter will have about 3/4" of its tip machined smooth if it's a lock-up combo. Regular transmissions have splines all the way to the tip. Converter and trans have to be used together (won't interchange with the regular stuff) and I believe the valve body is unique as well. On the bright side, it just might have a 2.71 low gear set in it!

Hopefully the converter has weight welded on or you're using a B&M flexplate.

3940413483_6c7b048fe8.jpg

Not sure about the converter ID, but the shaft that goes into the converter will have about 3/4" of its tip machined smooth if it's a lock-up combo. Regular transmissions have splines all the way to the tip. Converter and trans have to be used together (won't interchange with the regular stuff) and I believe the valve body is unique as well. On the bright side, it just might have a 2.71 low gear set in it!

Hopefully the converter has weight welded on or you're using a B&M flexplate.

Nope the entire shaft has splines on it, nothing smooth. But what could it be? maybe just an old case with a new valve body and converter? And it kinda seemed that way, I could burn the tires all the way through first with ease, and that was with a tired 318 and highway gears!

The converter has one really little weight on it, but I assume that's to neutral balance it. I have a B&M flexplate for the 360, so no worries there.

Its definitely the first picture. And I was just looking up pictures, I think its a 999... because on the one side of it there are these little ports.

That's the picture I found online, and my trans looks identical. Are 999s any good?

Attachments

• A-999.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 122
Yes, 999's are the heaviest duty 904's. It's also possible to convert lock-up cases to non-lock-up using the correct parts. JW trans has been doing it for me. Looks like someone did that to yours!

Yes, 999's are the heaviest duty 904's. It's also possible to convert lock-up cases to non-lock-up using the correct parts. JW trans has been doing it for me. Looks like someone did that to yours!

Niiice! I'm actually really happy to find this out! I guess somebody was thinking when they changed it out!

So whats the difference between a regular old 904 and a 999? Heavier insides?

Okay so I guess what I thought it looked like was different than what it actually was. Its a lock-up... But on the plus side I got the number off of it and looked it up, and it is indeed a 999 transmission!

So now whats the deal with the lockup? as long as I use the same converter I should be fine?

-
Back