If you were building a Mopar sleeper....

-
I can't imagine a 480 horse 340 "sounding" like a sleeper. ha ha.

My idea of a sleeper is first, MUST be a moredoor. Far too many "cheap post" bodies were sleeper wannabees. Wagons work.

Second HAS to be stone dead quiet. If ya need 4 mufflers, then, ya.

Of course, NO headers. The telltale tinkedy tink. Maybe wrapped ones'd get buy, if you can't SEE them hangin.

No "wheels" of any kind, and if you run so much HP that you need BIG rear meats, then you screwed the sleeper image. Might just have to be happy with "rolling" starts.

No visible tach, and no big autometer, shift lights, "boxes", etc.

No fancy floor shift, B&M or Cheetah shifters

No visible trunk mount battery disconnect

And of course YOU have to "be" the part. Look a little nerdy. Suck it up and USE those flip-ups. Wear a silly hat. Kids toys in the rear window. Maybe an empty baby bottle, er empty kids seat in the back.

Yes to all that.

But a 4-500 Hp small block is not going to sound sleeper at all. I'd look for a smallish 4 door of some sort with a Magnum-based 360 or stroker in it. Even better would be 5.7 Hemi as it's lighter and 400 honest HP is automatic. Ever notice how quiet a 5.7 Hemi is with manifolds? It sounds absolutely nothing like 400 HP.

Anyone remember the rusty 80's(?) Dodge truck at the Moppar Nats 7-8 yrs ago? It was OMT (Old Man Tan) with an aluminum ladder rack on the roof. The first reaction when seeing it on the strip was, WTH? But then he knocks off a high 12 sec run in the 1/4 and it soon became a crowd favorite. It was an actual everyday work truck being used by the owner in his carpentry or home improvement job. When the 318 gave out, he needed to get it back to work ASAP so he threw in a 340 he had laying around. I think he was from NJ.

Another tme at the Nats, there was a big smoky burnout in the Burger King parking lot on Brice. I looked over and all I saw was a plain jane 4 door Chevette. After he parked and opened the hood, it was obvious that a SBC fit pretty well. It still had the stock wheels w/ the hubcaps and there was no clue on the outside. He was running full exhaust but it had large twin quiet pipes dumping in front of the axle painted black so they were hard to see. To complete the fakery, he had welded a tiny exhaust pipe into the system and ran it out the under the bumper so it stilll blew smoke like stock.

My favorite of all time though was an article I saw in a Mopar mag sometime in the last century. It was written by a Chrysler factory engineer telling about how he and his buddy put a 392 Hemi into a plain old Plymouth. (may have been mid to late 50's) The outside was completely stock but they got it running extremely well for what it was. They used to go out cruising on the weekends in Detroit and find some hot street racer and then blow the poor schmuck into the weeds. They got so good and were having so much fun that they even hooked up a trailer with a light aluminum boat on it. Then they'd pull up beside some hot-cammed 57 Chevy or corvette at a light and casually keep up with him when the light turned green. Naturally, at the next light, the Chebby driver would think I'll show these old ggezers what fast is and try to hole shot the old 4 door Plymouth. That's when the Mopar guy would step it up. It's bad enough getting embarrassed in your shiny hot rod by a clapped-out 4 door Plymouth, but then to get passed by a boat? He said usually the poor guy would meekly turn off at the next opportunity.

4 door dart look up a thread that had 4 door pictures There were some reall nice ones. You can easily do a 400hp motor and keep it quiet. Just need quiet Mufflers and a X pipe. 340 Manifolds or shortys. RHS are Iron so you can paint them the same color as the motor and no one would ever know. 650-750 vac sec and a cam in the 230@ 50 possibly

Tailpipes, X-pipe and Dynomax Super Turbos will go a long long way towards making something quiet.

My car had that setup with longtubes and no tailpipes and I was constantly getting ragged for how quiet it was.

Everyone expects an old car to have Flowmasters on it, and mine was quieter than that.

I can't imagine a 480 horse 340 "sounding" like a sleeper. ha ha.

My idea of a sleeper is first, MUST be a moredoor. Far too many "cheap post" bodies were sleeper wannabees. Wagons work.

Second HAS to be stone dead quiet. If ya need 4 mufflers, then, ya.

Of course, NO headers. The telltale tinkedy tink. Maybe wrapped ones'd get buy, if you can't SEE them hangin.

No "wheels" of any kind, and if you run so much HP that you need BIG rear meats, then you screwed the sleeper image. Might just have to be happy with "rolling" starts.

No visible tach, and no big autometer, shift lights, "boxes", etc.

No fancy floor shift, B&M or Cheetah shifters

No visible trunk mount battery disconnect

And of course YOU have to "be" the part. Look a little nerdy. Suck it up and USE those flip-ups. Wear a silly hat. Kids toys in the rear window. Maybe an empty baby bottle, er empty kids seat in the back.

You will never get a race with a car like that. And if you do, you won't win.

Only ricers race from a roll.

Tailpipes, X-pipe and Dynomax Super Turbos will go a long long way towards making something quiet.

My car had that setup with longtubes and no tailpipes and I was constantly getting ragged for how quiet it was.

Everyone expects an old car to have Flowmasters on it, and mine was quieter than that.

Flowmaster's are done to death. It's like the most common thing ever on a Mustang. IMO, they don't have that muscle car sound. Not like a Cherry Bomb anyways..

I am thinking about running Magnum manifolds because they are said to flow every bit as good as 340 manifolds. They are much cheaper though..

Mine would be a early Dodge Caravan just like a soccer mom would drive. Leave the front wheel drive in and put a 440 in a mid engine mount. Faded paint, a few small dents and a junky loud muffler on the 4 banger. The 440 would be built, on the bottle, and run thru 4 mufflers. I might run the exaust to the front so they can't be seen from the back. Stock 727 trans. The motor would be covered by a box and that covered by fake trash, soccer things, etc. A Ford 9 inch under the back. Use the 4 banger to get around on sneak up on some one, and use the 440 for the sleeper part. It would be a blast.
Think of setting at a red light, Look at a Mustang and rev up the 4 banger. Goat the Mustang driver into a race. Rev the 4 banger and as the sound goes up start the 440. Put the 4 banger in nutral and the 440 in First. Then go when you see the green.

Flowmaster's are done to death. It's like the most common thing ever on a Mustang. IMO, they don't have that muscle car sound. Not like a Cherry Bomb anyways..

My point was that having an old car that made some noise wouldn't really throw away the "sleeper" image because everyone expects everything with a V8 to have flowmasters on it. NOT that you should run flowmasters. At this point, there are almost none of these cars left "in the wild". The only reason you'd ever see one on the road is because someone did the work to put it there. Anyone who would race is a car guy, and would know that.

I am thinking about running Magnum manifolds because they are said to flow every bit as good as 340 manifolds.

Which is to say....not at all.

My point was that having an old car that made some noise wouldn't really throw away the "sleeper" image because everyone expects everything with a V8 to have flowmasters on it. NOT that you should run flowmasters. At this point, there are almost none of these cars left "in the wild". The only reason you'd ever see one on the road is because someone did the work to put it there. Anyone who would race is a car guy, and would know that.

Well..I think there was some misinterpretation here. I meant that certain just know that Flowmaster sound. If they hear it, they probably know that something is going on with it.

Which is to say....not at all.

Well...I don't know, I figured headers would be harder to quieten down??

http://www.moparts.org/Tech/Archive/exhaust/9.html

Well...I don't know, I figured headers would be harder to quieten down??

http://www.moparts.org/Tech/Archive/exhaust/9.html

Not as hard as it is to make race winning power with manifolds.

Seriously, I had dumps and a good sized cam on my 5.9 with headers, X-pipe and super turbos, and its hard to hear my car in a video where I'm going down the track against a stock Pontiac G8.

I went to Ultraflow welded mufflers because it was too quiet, and I have to worry about pissing people off at the golf course-LOL.

With tailpipes, X-pipe and super turbos (and if you want to get crazy some glasspacks between the X and mufflers) you could make pretty much anything quiet. Then get some electric cut outs for when you're actually racing. Imagine the look on dude's face when you open that up halfway through 1st gear. LOL

If you're going to build a real street sleeper that can knock people out, I highly recommend a good deal of hidden nitrous and a good controller to enable traction. Big sleds have lots of places to hide a bottle or two!

its Chevrolet, but you get the idea. Probably wouldn't work on Big Block Mopar though. LOL.

Link

Mine would be a early Dodge Caravan just like a soccer mom would drive. Leave the front wheel drive in and put a 440 in a mid engine mount. Faded paint, a few small dents and a junky loud muffler on the 4 banger. The 440 would be built, on the bottle, and run thru 4 mufflers. I might run the exaust to the front so they can't be seen from the back. Stock 727 trans. The motor would be covered by a box and that covered by fake trash, soccer things, etc. A Ford 9 inch under the back. Use the 4 banger to get around on sneak up on some one, and use the 440 for the sleeper part. It would be a blast.
Think of setting at a red light, Look at a Mustang and rev up the 4 banger. Goat the Mustang driver into a race. Rev the 4 banger and as the sound goes up start the 440. Put the 4 banger in nutral and the 440 in First. Then go when you see the green.

Mid 90's in Long Beach, Belmont SHore car show, there was a early 90's Caravan with the typical after market rims you would find on one, and it looked totally stock, except the tires were a little wider.

I was walking by it and the guy started it up, HOLY POOP, i turned around and looked, and went over and talked to the guy.

440 with a 727 and a cut down Dana 60, on a cut down frame from a truck. the engine was sitting between the seats in a custom made box, with a raised floor that covered the trans and rear. It had a regular radiator and stuff up front. Really cool, no pics, no digital camera in those days.

I would love to build a Dakota V6, slap a twin turbo setup on it and make a Plymouth Horizon into a RWD beast.

Not as hard as it is to make race winning power with manifolds.

Seriously, I had dumps and a good sized cam on my 5.9 with headers, X-pipe and super turbos, and its hard to hear my car in a video where I'm going down the track against a stock Pontiac G8.

I went to Ultraflow welded mufflers because it was too quiet, and I have to worry about pissing people off at the golf course-LOL.

With tailpipes, X-pipe and super turbos (and if you want to get crazy some glasspacks between the X and mufflers) you could make pretty much anything quiet. Then get some electric cut outs for when you're actually racing. Imagine the look on dude's face when you open that up halfway through 1st gear. LOL

If you're going to build a real street sleeper that can knock people out, I highly recommend a good deal of hidden nitrous and a good controller to enable traction. Big sleds have lots of places to hide a bottle or two!

its Chevrolet, but you get the idea. Probably wouldn't work on Big Block Mopar though. LOL.

Link

Nothing wrong with NOS :angel4:
I have an RPM air gap already plumbed. It's the Sportsman fogger that's adjustable to 250hp..ha ha ha.. :shock:

Traded a tunnel ram and two carbs for it :thumblef:

Speaking of sleepers, I did see a 4 door '67 Coronet in light brown. But it had one of those tags that said HEMI on it and "426" in mail box letters on the front fenders. I'd be willing to bet that it did not have a HEMI in it.
Possibly sure, likely? no.

If I had a 426 in something, nobody would know about it. I sure would not advertise it either. If I had 340 on something, it would have that or alot bigger. I'm real old school like that.

Sleeper I had a few years ago 79 Aspen moredoor with a 360 with about 350 h.p. The only give away was the headers, suprised a lot of Mustangs and Camaros with it. Looking for another one now to do the same with a 360 I have now or maybe a gen 3 hemi. :drinkers:
i would go with the 80 volare or the 79 lebaron wagon... woodgrained of course!

sleeper i had a few years ago 79 aspen moredoor with a 360 with about 350 h.p. The only give away was the headers, suprised a lot of mustangs and camaros with it. Looking for another one now to do the same with a 360 i have now or maybe a gen 3 hemi. :drinkers:

x2!

I just picked up a '67 Valiant 100 4dr. Was "soft yellow" now it's primer grey with red splotches (PO was practicing his painting skilz LOL!) Even has engine part shaped gasket gloop stuck to the hood. Already has the '73+ K, brakes etc. Got an 8-1/4 rear for it.

And I've got two 383's....stroke one, put a 5 spd manual in it and have fun!

My choice (budget permitting, which it doesn't LOL!) would be a stroker small block and a Passion 5 spd in my '74 Plymouth Voyager.....complete with all 4 (5 around Christmas time) kid seats and the hello kitty stickers my daughter stuck on the side window. Lots of room underneath for as many mufflers as needed for noise control. crappy faded paint and enough dings and dents to make most people wary of parking near it!

-
Back