Ignition Switch "rebuild"

-

4mulaSvaliant

Reaction score
OK so I am doing this so it will maybe help a few other 69 owners since our ignition switch is a one year only item. I recently needed to replace and found it to be worth more than I wanted to pay not to mention I would have to re-key either the ignition or my door locks since my lock cylinder was worn badly as well.
Anyhow here is a step by step process as to how I went about it. If nothing else, it shows what it looks like inside the "non service-able" ignition switch.
Here goes, now lets see if I can post and narrate worth a darn.

Ok so Im assuming you can get the switch out, so I will start with how to get the "switch" part away from the pot metal housing. I used a flat tip screw driver to VERY carefully bend the 4 retaining tabs away from the black plastic.
I ended up using a pretty small but strong screw driver and actually broke the tiny stamped marks, which were actually the part that was retaining the black plastic. However you do it, proceed with caution! If there is a place that the rebuild will fail.......This is it! Break these and the housing is basically worthless.
In the picture below you can see the little indention's that actually were broken out / removed. It happened by accident when prying, but worked in my favor. Im sure this will be the norm when taking it apart.
IgnitionPics001.jpg

Here are the parts that you will discover after freeing the black plastic from the pot metal housing. As you can see there is one spring in this assembly. It is very easy to locate where it goes if you happen to let it fly when you take it apart.
IgnitionPics003.jpg

IgnitionPics004.jpg

Here is the side that makes contact with the actual lock cylinder. You can only see the center when the housing is all together. The spring you see here is stuck in place and shouldn't fall out on its own.
IgnitionPics002.jpg

Next is the "contact" part of the switch. This is the dirty, and worn area that has caused me my intermittent issues. Check out all the shavings from 41 years of key twisting.
IgnitionPics005.jpg

IgnitionPics006.jpg

IgnitionPics007.jpg

Here are the parts with a little cleaning. I used some very fine sand paper, and was done in a matter of seconds. There are chemicals that are great for cleaning brass, but I used what I had and what is simple.
IgnitionPics010.jpg

IgnitionPics011.jpg

Chowder my 1 year old Yellow Lb telling me this is boring!
IgnitionPics019.jpg

Had to throw in his decent shot too! LOL
IgnitionPics018.jpg

Ok so now on to the reassembly. I was very liberal with Di-electric grease. Use the crap out of it! Its not going to hurt anything, and enough to do the job is in ONE of the packets you can get for spark plug wire sets.
IgnitionPics012.jpg

With the housing pointed down, I dropped the first piece in with the spring and of course applied some electric grease to aide in keeping my repairs lasting.
IgnitionPics014.jpg

Next is the copper contact plate. This only goes in one way. Now the spring will hold it from sitting in a helpful position, but it will be stable enough to stay put.
IgnitionPics015.jpg

The last part to install is the black plastic piece that the actual harness plugs into. This piece is keyed to the housing and can only go in one way.
IgnitionPics017.jpg

It is now possible to take a hammer (carefully)to the 4 retainer tabs that hold it all in place. Because the black plastic is a tight fit, you wont need to move the tabs inward very much to have a good snug fit again. Above it was accomplished with a small tap to each corner of each of the 4 tabs.
Hope this helps.
Thx guys and gals!!!!:cheers:

Thank You for posting this, excellent pictures and explanation!

Any advice on testing the repaired unit, before install?

Ok so here is how I tested the switch after rebuilding.

On the back of the switch, each terminal is labeled as to what it does.
I used a Ohms meter and checked that was no resistance through each circuit.
The reason you see 0.0000 on the ohms meter is because there is no resistance in that circuit. As a test to understand that, you can hold each terminal from your meter between your fingertips in each hand and you can measure the resistance through your body!!! Kinda basic, but neat!

Anyhow, here is the test of the accessory circuit. There is a terminal on the switch that is labeled "BAT" this would be where your power is supplied to the switch and diverted to each circuit depend on where you turn the key to.
IgnitionPics020.jpg

Here is the test on the "STRT" circuit. Sorry that its not a good look at the terminals, but I had to grow a 3rd hand to get this shot anyhow. Either way, they are all labeled so you cant miss it.
IgnitionPics021.jpg

Here is the "IGN 1" circuit, it looks like the tester terminals are touching, but they are not. This circuit is really the "run" circuit. It is used after you release the key from the start position and it springs back.
IgnitionPics023.jpg

There is an "IGN 2" and Im not sure if it is even used to be honest. I cant really locate a key position for it.

Either way, I just tested it today and it worked GREAT!!!!!!!! I meen in the car too! My poor car hasnt ran since last summer because of this damn thing!!!

Hope this helps!!! Thx guys!:-D

Thx Rick, couldn't have done it without your tester to find out what it was!!! Today was a great day. The Valiant fired up, and I was able to get it in the garage after moving the 46 Special Deluxe out. Now I can finish my body work and get her ready to spray. I hope to have it painted by early summer!!!!!

-
Back