I'll get around to it eventually...

-

Woodys_Cuda

Ontario, Canada
Reaction score
This for all of us that have running/driving cars with stuff that needs fixing and bugs us but we're putting up with it for now. In my case my car needs the steering wheel centered. It's been that way since I bought it. I had a front end alignment done and never noticed the problem either *duh*. Turn signal doesn't cancel on right hand turns because of it. Then there's the dome lights where the plastic bulb holders crumbled due to age. "I'll get around to it eventually."

Alignments , the guys are hacks. I took a Ford Taurus to a Firestone years ago for Tires and a 4 wheel alignment. They had the car all day and when I went to pick it up the kid working on it said I need "aftermarket cams" to set toe in the rear. I said to the counter guy "that's bullshit can I go out to the shop and show him where the ajustment is...?" I get ou tthere, show the kid and hes like "well were closing soon..." and would you beleive the counter guy wanted to charge me for a 4 wheel alignment. I said to him "but thats not what you did you did a 2 wheel or thrust angle alignment...." ripoffs and the wonder why people dont like auto mechanics...this was 15 years ago I think...

Alignments , the guys are hacks. I took a Ford Taurus to a Firestone years ago for Tires and a 4 wheel alignment. They had the car all day and when I went to pick it up the kid working on it said I need "aftermarket cams" to set toe in the rear. I said to the counter guy "that's bullshit can I go out to the shop and show him where the ajustment is...?" I get ou tthere, show the kid and hes like "well were closing soon..." and would you beleive the counter guy wanted to charge me for a 4 wheel alignment. I said to him "but thats not what you did you did a 2 wheel or thrust angle alignment...." ripoffs and the wonder why people dont like auto mechanics...this was 15 years ago I think...
An alignment is only as good as the person who does it. That's why I ask around if I need a great shop. My guy retired a few years ago and I asked a local classic car club and they referred me to another great shop 10 mins from home.

This shop did a great job and didn't try to charge me for parts that weren't needed.

My old 88 Ram D350 has many 'round to it's. About 7 years now I swapped the Q-jet to a Thermoquad.
said I need to hook up the choke.The Q-jet was electric. Starts good unless it is really cold....Same with exhaust that I wanted to change.
Got all the parts but the original system is ok and not leaking. Someday....

Woody, Ive seen some that are as much as 1/2 turn off center. You can center the wheel yourself if you have the stock steering wheel. I ask because the stock steering wheel has a locate notch.Aftermarket do not Aftermarket you can move it a spline or two. Stock you set it as driven straight and look to see which tire is toed in and the other should be toed out. Then set the wheel dead ahead as normal. Turn the tie rod for the toed in, 1 turn out and the the other side 1 turn in.If the wheel is slightly off then use 1/2 turn or less as long you change both rod ends equal amounts. Just my 2 cents.

Funny you started this thread. I have a list of things I've put up with my Ragtop for a couple of years now.. I'm in the process of fixing them all as of last week. I'm about half of the way there now.
Ragtop Checklist.

• New front tires Done
  • Replace Idler arm
  • Add resonators to exhaust Done
  • Adjust clutch. Done
  • Install rear speakers. Done
  • Fix directional canceller. Done
  • Replace shocks. Done
  • Find rear squeak Done
  • Add Amplifier and subwoofer to trunk.
  • Install Temp. gauge.
  • Cover lower driver’s seat.
  • Install missing snap on Top Tonneau cover
  • Install valve cover gaskets.
  • Finish dialing Dizzy.
  • Install foam seal strip under upper windshield trim.

Last edited:
Woody, Ive seen some that are as much as 1/2 turn off center. You can center the wheel yourself if you have the stock steering wheel. I ask because the stock steering wheel has a locate notch.Aftermarket do not Aftermarket you can move it a spline or two. Stock you set it as driven straight and look to see which tire is toed in and the other should be toed out. Then set the wheel dead ahead as normal. Turn the tie rod for the toed in, 1 turn out and the the other side 1 turn in.If the wheel is slightly off then use 1/2 turn or less as long you change both rod ends equal amounts. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks, yes, It's a 3 spoke steering wheel and I never realized it was off center since it tracked fine. I was puzzled that the alignment shop told me it needed centering after the alignment was done. :wtf: I didn't realize the steering wheel has a splined notch until I had the steering wheel off to replace a turn signal switch. You're right, I saw on this forum that tie rods could be adjusted to center it without needing another alignment. I'm waiting for my neighbour to help me with that.

I've been rounding up Restoration parts for my '65 Barracuda including a New Headliner for it...
after realizing that the Front and Rear Glass have to come out to put that in...
It's been on a shelf, but "I'll get around to it eventually."

Centering a steering wheel is relatively easy.

Turn both tie rod sleeves the same direction, the same number of turns.

It may help to mark them with a paint pen.

Be careful and patient.

A quarter turn goes a long way at the steering wheel.

Centering a steering wheel is relatively easy.

Turn both tie rod sleeves the same direction, the same number of turns.

It may help to mark them with a paint pen.

Be careful and patient.

A quarter turn goes a long way at the steering wheel.

Thanks for the tips. I will do just that.

I would 1st turn your steering wheel and find the center of steering box. Then see if your tires are straight. If they are I would remove steering wheel and straighten it. If it's a non stock wheel with no keyway. If tires aren't straight, then turn your tie rods evenly to center. You should center steering box before aligning. I had to move my steering wheel after alignment (aftermarket Grant).

Not sure why the alignment shop didn't do that.
Should be part of the job you paid for.

Count the turns from where your car drives straight (big empty parking lot helps).
Count to the stop from straight both right and left.
If it's way off, get a cheap wheel puller and see if you can do the spline thing.

As said, if tie sleeve is adjusted loosen the 2 bolts and turn sleeve in the direction needed on both sides.
1719328309912.png

Okay guys just to clarify. With the front wheels in the centered straight ahead position we found approx. 1 1/2 turns left from center position and 1 turn right. I'm guessing the alignment shop just aligned it without regard to the steering box centerline. I agree with adjusting the tie rods to get it centered. It is a stock steering wheel and fits the notched spline when assembled.

Ok, then when you split the difference on the box does your steering wheel line up straight? If so, yes adjust the tie rods.

I've been rounding up Restoration parts for my '65 Barracuda including a New Headliner for it...
after realizing that the Front and Rear Glass have to come out to put that in...
It's been on a shelf, but "I'll get around to it eventually."

I replaced the headliner in my '65 Barracuda many years ago and I did not remove the front or rear glass. I do not remember any issue with it. It came out pretty good. I may have used spray trim adhesive in a few spots around the edges.

-
Back