I'm a happy man with my newly-tuned TQ!

-

MOPARoldtimer

Banned
Reaction score
I have a built 408 stroker in my '62 Valiant, which I assembled several years ago. I never was quite happy with the way it ran (I knew it was rich), and it got terrible mileage, but I was never able to find a mechanic who knew anything about TQs. Anyway, I took one of my other Mopars into a smog shop (I'm in California) for a smog inspection and, entirely accidentally, met a mechanic there who knew all about them. He tuned that other car's TQ so it ran really great and passed smog with flying colors (he uses a smog dyno and a sniffer, of course).

So I took my Valiant in to him and asked him to tune the TQ in it. He found that it was running 6% rich(!), and he adjusted the main metering circuit to stoichiometric. It runs so much better now that I can't believe it. The acceleration is very crisp and immediate. I'm one happy boy now!

I'm guessing somewhere in the Folsom area based on MOPARoldtimer's info

Uh oh, I guess I spoke too soon. Although the car does run quite well when it starts, and it starts OK when cold and when re-started immediately after it is shut down, it has a no-start problem if it sits for 30 minutes or more after having warmed up. I'm not sure this is being caused by the carburetor, though, because the battery seems weak and I'm going to replace it. In the meantime, however, I would appreciate any suggestions about what can make a TQ carb not start after sitting for awhile. It might be the choke adjustment (?), which would be my fault, not the carb tuner's. (It is a new carb, so I doubt that the main well O-rings are bad, but I guess anything's possible.)

Mine did the same till I switched the ignition to the hei system now it sorta starts like a fuel injection car any time or temp. Search trailbeast hei. Best hundred you will ever spend.

I pulled a junk yard one off a eighty something truck 360 just because it was there and in very good shape. (good body, etc).Seems like it is missing the idle screws.
Odd
I have no use for it. I prefer Quadra Jets.
Just me.
I think I've got about 25 dollars in it
PM me if you want it or info. That plus shipping from Atlanta.
I'll not make anything on it.

Are you running a thick factory gasket under the TQ?
A slight choke adjustment may be in order.
If the O rings are bad or out of adjustment, the carb runs super rich.

-
Back