Votes: 75 26.5%
  • 91 ram 350 cummins/5 speed manual [115,000 miles]

Votes: 70 24.7%

• Total voters
-

lou3500

Fla. Cuda Guy
Reaction score
I have a 98 dodge ram 3500 cummins dually [white one pictured] that i bought in 2000 [i love this truck] last monday i had an electrical short that has melted the fuse box wireing harness [under the hood] and another harness, i'm waiting for the adjuster to come take a look [i have a sinking feeling they are gonna try to screw me] but i'm being optimistic on this. The opinions i'm looking for is what ya'll would purchase if you had your daily driver totaled and receved around 5 grand [i don't think i'll be that lucky but who knows] these are the ones i have chosen,or put the money in the bank and drive my 66 cuda as a daily driver [i did not buy it for that purpose]. Due to computers and heavy electronic stuff in newer cars i chose older mopars [with the exception of one] due to ease of repairs and prices of replacement parts. Written opinions are welcome as well.

Attachments

• a100.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 850
  • belvy.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 850
  • d100.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 924
  • old cummins.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 954
  • metal work-white topper 011.JPG
    166.3 KB · Views: 842
love to say:
attachment.php

but this would probably be a better choice if your losing your Cummins:
attachment.php

the A100 would be fun, especially if an 8 door!

Your right the cummins would probly be the correct choice the 70 pickup is over 100 miles from me and i'm unsure of condition,the van is not an 8 door but is very cool and i really like the oddball looks of them. But my retierment plans were to buy a racecar hauler with living quarters and travel when i retire [in 8 years] so the cummins is the better choice but we'll have to see what insurance says. All these choices are based upon a small payoff for my ram if i get more than expected then i go to list number two of replacements.

the modern 4 cylinder cars are hard to beat on gas mileage . i drive 20000 miles a year and they pay for themselves in gas saveings. i keep a fullsize van spare for a workhorse. your the one driveing it so you should pick the one you want to drive

The cummins would pull the trailer and its a 12 valve with a standard so it should get mileage in the high teens to low twenties. Also im a big diesel fan. Plus if your loosing a dually you should replace it with one if you used it alot. Another option is getting on an inaurance website such as tra auctions or copart and buying a wrecked vehicle that only needs cosmetic work since you can get newer stuff fairlt cheap depending on what you want. V8 chargers and challengers are out of the 5,000 range though because they always get bid way to high. Also foreign countries bid on some so if you see abu dabi bidding just give up lol. What im sayin is you might a newer dually to replace that one pretty cheap and throw some parts on it and your good to go

For me to pick one wouldn't really make since. I don't know if you need a truck more tha you nee a van or need a van more that a car????

IF you're looking for something dependable and good on gas all the above do not apply.

IF you need to pull a trailer or boat you need to buy the truck. See what I'm saying?

I did pick the van however in the poll because I like it. It's cool!

I would just fix the truck you have.
The A-100 is not a very safe vehicle the way it is designed, i had one years ago.
I have had two d-100's a 69 and a 71 they are great tough trucks.

Thanks for the opinions so far,fuel mileage is on my list of wants but it is not a major factor in my choices of a replacement i really would like to stay away from computers,payments,expensive repairs,i would like to fix my truck [due to i know the vehicle] cause i suppose i can fix it in time but i don't have any spare cash at this time [why i chose to get the insurance involved] and i'm just picking from the lower priced vehicles that i thought were cool. I'm not like some of ya'll i won't drive something i don't like just cause it gets 40 mpg it has to appeal to me for it to be considered. I also have looked at durangos/dakotas which i like but so far the ones in the current price range 2-5k are nice looking but very high mileage which i feel could lead to me having another expence. I would love to buy a new dually or even a newer used one however i'm not intrested in payments so with that in mind i have to settle on buying what i can afford or fixing mine.

Thanks for the opinions so far,fuel mileage is on my list of wants but it is not a major factor in my choices of a replacement i really would like to stay away from computers,payments,expensive repairs,i would like to fix my truck [due to i know the vehicle] cause i suppose i can fix it in time but i don't have any spare cash at this time [why i chose to get the insurance involved] and i'm just picking from the lower priced vehicles that i thought were cool. I'm not like some of ya'll i won't drive something i don't like just cause it gets 40 mpg it has to appeal to me for it to be considered. I also have looked at durangos/dakotas which i like but so far the ones in the current price range 2-5k are nice looking but very high mileage which i feel could lead to me having another expence. I would love to buy a new dually or even a newer used one however i'm not intrested in payments so with that in mind i have to settle on buying what i can afford or fixing mine.

take the insurance money and buy a harness for your truck, then bank the other $4000 dollars

but I doubt that the insurance company is going to write off a truck that still looks fine, they will likely only pay the cost to buy another harness and have it installed

Thats exactly what i would really like to happen.i'm really comfortable with my truck. We'll see what they say, have no idea where to get a harness [junkyard or dealer] junkyard seems like i could be getting sombody elses problem,dealer will rob you.

Buy the truck back and fix it, would be my vote. I really like that dually 12 valve as second option. Cummins all the way !!!

I agree with some of the other members and hope the insurance gives you the money to get a new harness installed. I doubt the insurance company would total it if it still looks in great shape.

Insurance will total any vehicle regardless of looks, if the damage is a certain percentage of fair market value for your area then its totalled i watch the online insurance auctions and they have things that look good but need engines and transmissions etc... However once totalled you can buy it back and call a reputable parts yard that will pull the harness for you and give you a warranty on the part even if its only 30 days thats better than nothing lol

I would rather fix it [or have it fixed] buying an used high mileage vehicle is just rolling the dice you may be getting someone elses problems. But of the vehicles i posted the cummins truck seems like the best choice [if there ain't something wrong with it].

Insurance will total any vehicle regardless of looks, if the damage is a certain percentage of fair market value for your area then its totalled i watch the online insurance auctions and they have things that look good but need engines and transmissions etc... However once totalled you can buy it back and call a reputable parts yard that will pull the harness for you and give you a warranty on the part even if its only 30 days thats better than nothing lol
Did you know, most any modern vehicle with over 3 airbags will be totalled if it gets any kind of scratch on it that's severe enough to deploy the airbags? Quite simply, the airbags cost so much, they're replacement can total a vehicle alone. :wack:

If the insurance co will fix what you have then do it. If they are totaling it fight for no less than 8-9 grand. Is it a 12 valve? if it is used engines go for 3-5 grand.Even 24 Valves bring good money on the used market. You can part it out and clear 10 grand ,I hear front fenders go for 2-3 hundred bucks each.Don't know what the 91 -92 Dually goes for but a friend sold his for 8 grand a few months ago. If they want less than 5 and all is good with it ,,grab it.

With a wiring harness fire it is almost a given they will total the truck. We bought a hard loaded Surburan and just the wiring harness was $2500 from GM. Do a deal with the insurance company and keep the truck. I don't know about Florida but here in Oklahoma you don't even have to give up the title if you keep the truck. Find a good used harness and put the truck back together. Be sure to take it to your insurance company and show them that it is fixed. I have bought back every vehicle in my immediate family that was totaled and fixed them if they were worth it. If they were beyond fixing then I used the motor and tranny in something else.

If the insurance co will fix what you have then do it. If they are totaling it fight for no less than 8-9 grand. Is it a 12 valve? if it is used engines go for 3-5 grand.Even 24 Valves bring good money on the used market. You can part it out and clear 10 grand ,I hear front fenders go for 2-3 hundred bucks each.Don't know what the 91 -92 Dually goes for but a friend sold his for 8 grand a few months ago. If they want less than 5 and all is good with it ,,grab it.

98 will be a 24 valve.

I have just been looking at the online search for used parts to locate a fusebox and harness section to fix what i got i have not commited to it yet cause i have not spoke with the adjuster yet. I'm thinking that i did not smoke everything due to the fact that the only fuse blown was the engine 10 amp fuse in the cab fuse box all the fuses,breakers,relays in the main box are testing ok and everything worked after the short but the engine. The engine will turnover and start then die right away so i'm thinking the fuel shutoff electronics are not working possibly the ecu may have fried. The 91 i posted is listed below 4500$ so providing there ain't nothing bad wrong with it it's a good deal at 115,000 miles and it's a stick so no worries about bad automatic transmissions and i'll probly go that route if totaled,we will listen to what the adjuster says then try working a deal that benifits us both. Gonna call dodge dealer tomorrow for prices to have when he comes may be i can work out a deal to get them to cut a check for parts and i repair it we'll see. I can't buy it back and part it out due to where i live and i need what i get to get another driver but if i could buy it back and get another driver and fix it that would be great [but i'm asking too much there].Maybe i can get enough to buy the belvy and fix the truck.

-
Back