I'm thinking 4.10's ?

-

j par

Well-hung Member
Reaction score
well as my last post was talking about the axles and green bearings and calling doctor diff for parts. I have the 489 case now. I just need to choose a gear that I will be putting on a spool for drag racing. right now I have the 410 stroker with the 4 speed and a 355 track lock in an eight and a quarter . I was able to get and 11.96 last time out and I'm thinking of 410 gears would just barely let me ride on the street a bit, little to no freeway time and hopefully I'll be able to run some 28 inch tall wrinkle wall slicks. I run 26 inch et Street right now.
thoughts? opinions? Experience ?!?

J par, find a on line calc that can help show you the rpm difference between the two gears and with the tire size change. IIRC, tire rack has such a calc. I have used a on line calc that shows percentage differences and the speedometer changes that go with it.

Increasing the tire size is very much like reducing the gear ratio. I don't know how much a 2 inch tire diameter will effect the 4.10's. But that's what I ran last on my 4spd E body Cuda.
(4.10's & a 28 inch tire) I could drive the Hwy. in the slow lane easy enough.

Also take note of your rpm at the strip. A likewise calc can help predict at what rpm you'll cross the line at. This may or may not be advantageous. I just remembered. Converter slippage is also a factor. Something intend to forget about since I run a manual trans.

I run 4.10 in a 489 case with 26.5" tires on the street for the last 12yrs & 10K miles. "66 Cuda 4spd manual w/ 273 Commando. I just drive the back country roads, rarely on the freeway. Revving 3000 @ 50mph in 4th gear.

I run 3.91s and a 28 inch tall tire on the street. Exactly 3000 rpm at 60 mph if that gives you an idea of what you're looking at.

I have an auto so rpm will be a little different than yours, but I run 3100 rpm @ 60 mph with 4.10's (spool) and a 5500 stall converter. The tires are 325/50/15 MT drag radials which are just a hair under 28" tall. A 3.73 gear and 26" tall tire will yield about the same result for highway speed/rpm as the 4.10/28" tire setup. With a 4 speed your highway rpm should be lower than what I run.

I run 4.30's with a spool street/track i also run Moser axles no problems..

My advice is don't BS yourself with the 'no freeway' clause. Your going to cruise it at some point, and when you do, you'll be glad you kept it 3.55 or less. It's all about cam, converter, and gear; if either wasn't designed for the other your wasting your time.

Here play with this:

http://vexer.com/automotive-tools/speed-rpm-calculator
I have that app on the front of my phone, and I use it often as a matter of fact to come up with this configuration. if I have to go anywhere on the freeway like Woodburn dragstrip or something like that I rent a trailer. if I want to go to the local drag strip I go down Marine Drive and it's only 45 miles an hour. This car has two race seats in it for the interior. this is why I posted this on the racing forum because it's a racing car for the 90% Part. so, I don't think I'm really under any delusion that I'll be taking it for long freeway trips on anything less than a trailer. The good thing about an eight three quarter also is just being able to change the pigs within a few hours and getting one with freeway gears is cheap but the way I built the motor it really doesn't like the street that much anyways (i.e. the cam, the compression- designed for drag racing)
like I mentioned 4 speed, no converter.
I do appreciate your opinion though as I asked for it.

410 Stroker, Solid Roller Cam, 904-Transbrake & Converter from Lenny @ Ultimate........325/50/15's - Ford 9" & 4.30's , Spool - Moser 35 spline, Ladder Bar with Solid rod ends.

I roll on the Fwy all day long. Drive it anywhere. 65mph @ 3300 Rpm.

I did right about what Mad Dart does with my Cuda 4spd & 4.10's.
Hwy.? LOL! No problem!

A taller tire has a bigger footprint and more side wall flex to get out of the hole. Stick the tallest tire you can fit and select gear ratio for the RPM you want to cross the stripe.

My advice is don't BS yourself with the 'no freeway' clause. Your going to cruise it at some point, and when you do, you'll be glad you kept it 3.55 or less. It's all about cam, converter, and gear; if either wasn't designed for the other your wasting your time.

Here play with this:

http://vexer.com/automotive-tools/speed-rpm-calculator

Whatever wussy.......I have 4.10's in my 66 340 4-speed (no overdrive) and love freeway driving, engine whines nice at about 3900 RPM at 70 MPH for more than an hour straight and no problems...slap in those gears and go....have fun :burnout:

BTW, I have 255/60R15 rear tires and also run green bearings and a 489 case, Yukon axles.

Whatever wussy.......I have 4.10's in my 66 340 4-speed (no overdrive) and love freeway driving, engine whines nice at about 3900 RPM at 70 MPH for more than an hour straight and no problems...slap in those gears and go....have fun :burnout:

BTW, I have 255/60R15 rear tires and also run green bearings and a 489 case, Yukon axles.

And 10 MPG really isn't that bad in the greater scheme of things.:D:D:D

And 10 MPG really isn't that bad in the greater scheme of things.:D:D:D

Not sure if you are "ribbing" :D me or not but if you drive an old car for mileage then you are in the wrong hobby...it's all about the dedication and kewl factor....I don't own a Prius and could care less about what mileage my old oil leaking gas guzzler car gets :glasses7:

I drove my 65 on the street every. single. day. For over three years. On the interstate to and from work. About 8 miles one way. I loved it. Ran a 28.1150/15 MT ET Street with 4.30s. Car ran 11.40s with a stock bore and stroke 360.

I drove my 65 on the street every. single. day. For over three years. On the interstate to and from work. About 8 miles one way. I loved it. Ran a 28.1150/15 MT ET Street with 4.30s. Car ran 11.40s with a stock bore and stroke 360.

So, should improve the quarter mile time ! ?

Not sure if you are "ribbing" :D me or not but if you drive an old car for mileage then you are in the wrong hobby...it's all about the dedication and kewl factor....I don't own a Prius and could care less about what mileage my old oil leaking gas guzzler car gets :glasses7:

66340sedan for Prez!

RRR for vice Prez!

So, should improve the quarter mile time ! ?
Yes!

Thank you rumblefish!
I thought I had posted in the wrong part of the forum?
Not the racers forum but the low rpm gas saving long cross country freeway gears daily driver part of the forum !? Lol

No offense meant at all Keith. Aside from a TDI VW family hauler I've never put fuel mileage as first consideration when it comes to my various cars or car projects (and even then it wasn't the main reason I bought it). And although MPG is a valid concern, I think most of us, as enthusiasts, pick our vehicles because they somehow speak to us. "I've always wanted one of those" or "wouldn't it be cool if" are perfectly valid reasons.

I had 5.14's under my D50 a couple of years ago and broke them. I wanted to race the next weekend so I put a center section with 3.50 gears with a mini spool and I only slowed down a half a tenth and I crossed the finish line in 2nd gear. I best mph with the 5.14's was 108 in high gear and with the 3.50's I ran 109 in 2nd across the line. I run 1/8 mile only. If I was running 1/4 I might not have slowed down any. Mine is a pump gas 394 small block. (6.34 to a 6.39 ET) Now I am running 4.56 gear. I really need about a 5.50 gear.

I had 3.91's in the duster with the 416 11.02's...i think you'll like them:D:D

had a buddy with a crate 360 3.55's..would get his arse handed to him everytime by my friends "smog 318" running 3.91's..gears can make a BIG difference...

O - boy, I pulled the trigger last night on the 4.10's at dr. Diff's.
I hope I didn't go to far?

-
Back