Improve those dash lights

-
can u actuly get to them and replace them w/o pulling the dash ?
Yes but it is an Contortionist act , they come out with your finger tips real easy , getting them back in with just the tips of 2 fingers -not so easy , thinking I might be able teach and bribe my buddy's 5 year old Grandson to do it between his tiny hands and arms and the fact he can just sit backwards under the dash and look up in there it really is just a question of if he can understand what I want him to do and how much ice cream I have to buy .

No Oreilly's around here , Bumper to Bumper bought the outfit DusterGlen works for but they don't stock anything like that at all just over the counter and shop delivery of newer repair parts .Cambodian Tire stocks 2 types 1 is 14 bucks a single the other is 12 bucks for 2 and over the net I can get a dozen different ones hence the questions .
I see. I wonder if you can order them from O'Reilly's on line? They were $10 each here so they're not exactly cheap but the gain is worth it IMO

This is what I use in mine, wedge for the dash lights & tacho bayonet type for the oil,volts water. Got these on EBay and they were cheap ! purchased packs of 20 and they worked out around $ 15-20 per pack, from china. They work well and have assortment colours.

IMG_1666.JPG

IMG_1667.JPG

IMG_1669.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks guys there's an online outfit that has them pretty cheap so I'm going to order a couple of single chip units and a couple of 5 chip units then see which I prefer I'll post pics of the difference .

just ordered through Amazon.ca got a 10 pack of 10 chip units a 10 pack of single chip units and an 8 pack of 5 chip units all for $7.68 shipped direct for free from Hong Kong .I could buy the exact same units from a Canadian vendor and had them by friday for 5 times the price , these are coming from 2 different manufacturers one shipment is due June 20 the other between June 28 and july 20 who says patience isn't a virtue eh lol !

just ordered through Amazon.ca got a 10 pack of 10 chip units a 10 pack of single chip units and an 8 pack of 5 chip units all for $7.68 shipped direct for free from Hong Kong .I could buy the exact same units from a Canadian vendor and had them by friday for 5 times the price , these are coming from 2 different manufacturers one shipment is due June 20 the other between June 28 and july 20 who says patience isn't a virtue eh lol !
That's the only problem when ordering from China is the waiting time. They are virtually our neighbors and it takes 3 weeks min. Cool glad you got them and they will make a big difference, I had the green ones in first but had to change them as my eyes are not as good as they once were but I switched to the white and they are nice but not to harsh on the eyes.

Yeah I figured for the price I could try a couple of different ones until I find one I can see the speedo with but not go nightblind . I basically bought 28 bulbs for less than the price of a single bulb here in Canada -go figure eh !

The cheap LEDs I bought off the net for my dash worked , but the 1157 retrofit LEDs ($2.50 pair) for my tail/ brake lights lasted from 1/10th of a second to less than 30 seconds. I replaced those with $10. each name brand from my local auto parts store. Sometimes cheap is not so good.
Yote

The cheap LEDs I bought off the net for my dash worked , but the 1157 retrofit LEDs ($2.50 pair) for my tail/ brake lights lasted from 1/10th of a second to less than 30 seconds. I replaced those with $10. each name brand from my local auto parts store. Sometimes cheap is not so good.
Yote
True but spending 10-12 bucks a bulb times 8 is 80 -96 bucks multiply that by trying 2 or 3 different types and you got a 300 dollar experiment to find what you like .I spent less than 8 bucks and once I know which ones provide the light I am looking for I can replace them with name brand as they burn out. That is if I want to believe that the name brand are actually made in different factories .If they don't work at all when they get here Amazon will give me my 8 bucks back so why be a brand name sucker ?

Your response is relevant. I am only relating my experience for others to make their choices from. My 1/10th to 30 seconds wasn't much of a test.
Yote

I did leds too in mine. Change the bulb color from white to red to match the dash and radio. LEDs are the way to go. Super easy to install. You can get strips online and solder them in or use the replacement bulbs.

yall alta check out iowa80.com and 4statestruckparts.com for led lights of all sorts, truly a brighter way...

You guys look at you gauges?
yeah when I'm blasting cross the prairies and I see a cop pass me going the other way , I look to see how much the ticket is going to be if I don't lift or am I going fast enough to get across the provincial line before he turns around and get close enough to get my plate in the dark .

yall alta check out iowa80.com and 4statestruckparts.com for led lights of all sorts, truly a brighter way...
You back on the pipe there Whiteboy ? iowa80.com doesn't sell 1156/1157 bayonet socket or t10 wedge style socket led replacement bulbs of any type and 4statestruckparts.com is a dead site redirect !

You back on the pipe there Whiteboy ? iowa80.com doesn't sell 1156/1157 bayonet socket or t10 wedge style socket led replacement bulbs of any type and 4statestruckparts.com is a dead site redirect !
4 State Trucks works for me but heres direct link to led lights...ant sayin thay got this number or that,..no time for that foot work,.. just say no to pipe's man..im all natural,..bio degradable,..organically grown man!

My bad I used their menu system on the top and clicked on lighting , then led and got 64 funky looking led fixtures but no bulbs , should have done a more direct search seeing how they seem to be under chrome accessories ,WTF is that about ? they are still way more expensive than the lighting companies charge however . The 4statestrucks.com is still a dead link for me however and for the record nobodies saying ya can't put the organic in a pipe too eh lol !

Last edited:
OK I see what ya did , the first time ya wrote 4statestruckparts.com which is a dead link , 4statetrucks.com is a working link , so thats one on each of us eh !

I'll pass the peace pipe over your way .

OK I see what ya did , the first time ya wrote 4statestruckparts.com which is a dead link , 4statetrucks.com is a working link , so thats one on each of us eh !

I'll pass the peace pipe over your way .
ant saying cheaper or better or got what ya need just thay carry lotta led...im still hooked on that incandescent glow me self...lol

Damn lights or at least 2 sets of them finally showed up today talk about a slow boat from China , got the 10 pcs of single chip under a plastic dome units and the 8pcs of 5 chip units no sign of the 10 chippers .My little wingman won't be back from summer camp until the 13th so I may have to take the dash apart and do it myself .

Pics of what you got Chris? I like mine but some are intermittent. Mime were Chinese as well. Cheap tho lol
Both my left and right signals dont light up.
Damn lights or at least 2 sets of them finally showed up today talk about a slow boat from China , got the 10 pcs of single chip under a plastic dome units and the 8pcs of 5 chip units no sign of the 10 chippers .My little wingman won't be back from summer camp until the 13th so I may have to take the dash apart and do it myself .

I'll take a pic and post it later for ya Steve .I only bought the 194 dash bulb replacements . I bought a selection so I could go with the minimum wattage that would light the dark part on my speedo .

Just so were all on the same page... 2 different type LED replacements out there. A single chip on top should work fine in a instrument panel at turn indicators and warning lamps where only the single direction light is required. The sellers descriptions state reverse lamps, etc.., so they do serve in parabolic or bowl like fixtures ( who am I to argue ).
I just can't imagine these would work well at our instrument panel cavity illumination. Not one sellers description that I have read suggests that application. That would require the multi-chip type.
So the way I "see the light" or think I understand them, perfect for my a-body rallye instrument panel is 4 of these and 4 of those.
Coins for a box full of Chinese junk? Big money for the wrong type LED? I've already made my mistakes at the bulb sockets so forgive me for waiting for yall to sort out the LEDs. Good luck

-
Back